Missing jack

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by DoctorD, Apr 16, 2012.

1. DoctorD

DoctorD Read Only Funster

We've bought a motorhome which does not have a jack for the spareDo we need a particular type or would a normal hydraulic jack be ok?
    I am thinking about buying a small hydraulic type rather than a scissor style

2. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

When we bought our first MH (which included spare and jack) the seller told us never to change the wheel - leave it to the breakdown organisation.

May not be much help to your question.

Steve

3. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

iv got a jack you can have he lives next door:getmecoat::getmecoat::getmecoat:

4. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

On an RV

We have all the wheel braces as standard.. but no Jack... so I have purchased 2 hydraulic types 1 x 4 tons and 1 x 8 tons.. as I only lift one corner and my RV is 5.5 tons I have plenty of spare capacity.

I also have a scissor jack but that is 1.5 tons. (use that use that under tow bar to steady the RV when parked up)..

But let a motoring organisation change the tyre if you can.

Word of warning.. I joined an organisation that changed the tyre for me.. 3 years membership who claim to change the tyre within 2 hours anywhere in the UK.. took 4 days.. waste of money.. and they knew it was an RV and you have to give them the tyre sizes when you join.. advertised in many magazines.

Bob

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I had a 2ton hydraulic scissor jack on our last euro van...specially designed for Alko chassis.

first time i needed it (on tour in Scotland) the damned thing didnt wiork, air lock in the cylinder :Doh:

i managed to lift the front wheel with the standard fiat scissor jack...just....it would never, ever lift the rear wheel..

never again, scary as hell.

now i don't carry a jack as i would need at least a 15ton jobby...just leave it to the breakdown guys.

if you buy a bottle jack then get one at least 4 tons

6. Popeye

Popeye Funster

DoctorD, which chassis cab do you have and what year is it?

7. aba

aba

i bought a 6 ton bottle jack it just goes under the chassis but if i get a puncture i have levelling ramps so can drive onto one to get the clearance required.

8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I got one of these when I had the bus. Works perfectly...

However I couldn't get the nuts off the wheel.... I needed a bigger lever I think.:Sad:

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

A scissor jack was supplied with our previous van but none with our current one. I bought a 6 ton bottle jack from Lidl some time ago but, thinking the implications through in response to a thread a few weeks ago I've taken it out of the van and now leave it at home. We pay enough for the AA so if we do ever need a wheel changing we will call them.

10. Madmark62

Madmark62 Read Only Funster

Me too, I bought the jack from Lidl, cant remember how much it was, but I know I would not have got it if it was not a bargain ! I only had a Pug 206 at the time:Laughing:

11. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Hi DoctorD... All my new motorhomes have come with the regulation scissors jacks....What a waste of time ...And Dangerous there are....three times I have needed to place a pad under the front wheels, as the front wheels were slightly sinking due to soft ground on inspection the following morning....the scissor jack very difficult to wind up...especially from low down......and when they get a little higher they slip off or distort there diamond shape!!!..due to the weight on them!!!!..and three times due to the movement in the scissor jack mechanism ( joints..these are new jacks not well used jacks...useless crap) the whole motorhome slipped sideways off the jack.(the Jack was positioned on a large hard solid pad and wheels chocked up) I have now purchased a small 6 ton bottle jack as the 2 ton small bottle jack I have was not man enough for the job (on its limits)

THINK YOURSELF VERY LUCKY YOUR MOTORHOME DID NOT COME WITH THE FIAT SCISSOR JACK!!!....They may be adequate for a small van but not for the motorhome...some of the motorhomer's (Brits) I have met carry a trolley Jack 3 to 4 ton ...what !! a large and heavy item they are...but they do the job on Tarmac.

For the last few months in France Lidl and Aldi have had small 6 ton jacks on sale..the same jack as the grommet's link but 6 ton jack ..not seen any this last week
    Mel

12. AlphaPets

AlphaPets Read Only Funster

WARNING - Re: Fiat Scissor Jack

Dear All,

I have a 2004 Bessacarr E795 Motorhome fitted with a AL-KO chassis. I needed to lift the home with the supplied jack which was marked for a Fiat Ducato, however it was not up to the job and buckled under the weight. Can you recommend an alternative please, that will not slip off the chassis fixing point?

Thanks

:helptitanic::helpsos:​