Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
We've bought a motorhome which does not have a jack for the spareDo we need a particular type or would a normal hydraulic jack be ok?
I am thinking about buying a small hydraulic type rather than a scissor style

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
When we bought our first MH (which included spare and jack) the seller told us never to change the wheel - leave it to the breakdown organisation.

May not be much help to your question.

Steve

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
On an RV

We have all the wheel braces as standard.. but no Jack... so I have purchased 2 hydraulic types 1 x 4 tons and 1 x 8 tons.. as I only lift one corner and my RV is 5.5 tons I have plenty of spare capacity.

I also have a scissor jack but that is 1.5 tons. (use that use that under tow bar to steady the RV when parked up)..

But let a motoring organisation change the tyre if you can.

Word of warning.. I joined an organisation that changed the tyre for me.. 3 years membership who claim to change the tyre within 2 hours anywhere in the UK.. took 4 days.. waste of money.. and they knew it was an RV and you have to give them the tyre sizes when you join.. advertised in many magazines.

Bob

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had a 2ton hydraulic scissor jack on our last euro van...specially designed for Alko chassis.

first time i needed it (on tour in Scotland) the damned thing didnt wiork, air lock in the cylinder :Doh:

i managed to lift the front wheel with the standard fiat scissor jack...just....it would never, ever lift the rear wheel..

never again, scary as hell.

now i don't carry a jack as i would need at least a 15ton jobby...just leave it to the breakdown guys.

if you buy a bottle jack then get one at least 4 tons

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
We've bought a motorhome which does not have a jack for the spareDo we need a particular type or would a normal hydraulic jack be ok?

DoctorD, which chassis cab do you have and what year is it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i bought a 6 ton bottle jack it just goes under the chassis but if i get a puncture i have levelling ramps so can drive onto one to get the clearance required.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I got one Link Removed when I had the bus. Works perfectly...

However I couldn't get the nuts off the wheel.... I needed a bigger lever I think.:Sad:

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A scissor jack was supplied with our previous van but none with our current one. I bought a 6 ton bottle jack from Lidl some time ago but, thinking the implications through in response to a thread a few weeks ago I've taken it out of the van and now leave it at home. We pay enough for the AA so if we do ever need a wheel changing we will call them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
i bought a 6 ton bottle jack it just goes under the chassis but if i get a puncture i have levelling ramps so can drive onto one to get the clearance required.

Me too, I bought the jack from Lidl, cant remember how much it was, but I know I would not have got it if it was not a bargain ! I only had a Pug 206 at the time:roflmto:

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Hi DoctorD... All my new motorhomes have come with the regulation scissors jacks....What a waste of time ...And Dangerous there are....three times I have needed to place a pad under the front wheels, as the front wheels were slightly sinking due to soft ground on inspection the following morning....the scissor jack very difficult to wind up...especially from low down......and when they get a little higher they slip off or distort there diamond shape!!!..due to the weight on them!!!!..and three times due to the movement in the scissor jack mechanism ( joints..these are new jacks not well used jacks...useless crap) the whole motorhome slipped sideways off the jack.(the Jack was positioned on a large hard solid pad and wheels chocked up) I have now purchased a small 6 ton bottle jack as the 2 ton small bottle jack I have was not man enough for the job (on its limits)

THINK YOURSELF VERY LUCKY YOUR MOTORHOME DID NOT COME WITH THE FIAT SCISSOR JACK!!!....They may be adequate for a small van but not for the motorhome...some of the motorhomer's (Brits) I have met carry a trolley Jack 3 to 4 ton ...what !! a large and heavy item they are...but they do the job on Tarmac.

For the last few months in France Lidl and Aldi have had small 6 ton jacks on sale..the same jack as the grommet's link but 6 ton jack ..not seen any this last week
Mel

Upvote 0

AlphaPets

Free Member
Apr 4, 2012
Newport
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E795
Exp
WARNING - Re: Fiat Scissor Jack

Dear All,

I have a 2004 Bessacarr E795 Motorhome fitted with a AL-KO chassis. I needed to lift the home with the supplied jack which was marked for a Fiat Ducato, however it was not up to the job and buckled under the weight. Can you recommend an alternative please, that will not slip off the chassis fixing point?

Thanks

:helptitanic::helpsos:​

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back