MI FI Sim Cards

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by frankhanna, Aug 21, 2013.

1. frankhanna

frankhanna

Hi Funsters,

I am investing in a Mf Fi hot spot.

All I need now is to find out which Sim card to use and, particularly, which ones can be topped up on line.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks in anticipation.

Frank

2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

three can be topped up online. I use a contract one, which is £15 a month, or £17 unlimited

3. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Try Giff Gaff. You can use it as PAYG or you can buy "databags" which last month and allow a certain amount of data each month. 500Mb costs £5, 1Gb costs £10 nd 3Gb costs £12.50. No contract and you can chnage between gigabags and PAYG each month, so maximum flexibility.

4. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We use 3 (the MiFi was bought from them and I've not unlocked it (yet)).

The only places I have had difficulty in obtaining a signal were Thetford (Jaws' met a couple of years ago) and Malvern last weekend (though most parts of the showground were fine).

I solved the problem at Malvern by using Jim's trick of putting the MiFi in a plastic bag and taping it to our flag pole. That trick would probably have worked at Thetford as well but I didn't know about it then.

6. Steve_UK

Steve_UK Read Only Funster

I also use a mi-fi dongle (unlocked) with a 3 PAYG SIM card in the UK. Actually I have recently started using Samba Mobile as they had an offer where the SIM card was £2 delivered. You can then rack up mobile data credit by watching adverts (easier on broadband when at home). I have clocked up almost 3GB credit, and the great thing is that it does not expire unlike almost every other prepay SIM.

That means that I can use the odd few hundred MB here and there and not have to worry about the rest of the unused data being grabbed away from me a month or two later.

For Europe I use a "EuropaSIM" which has recently changed their tariff so that it's €3 per day (midnight to midnight) for unlimited data across just about all European countries. The first 500MB is high-speed after which it drops to some lower speed, but still fast enough for email and browsing. You also get 25 minutes incoming and 25 minutes outgoing calls plus some texts assuming you're using it in a phone.

:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

avoid Vodaphone.....abysmal coverage for data but phone signals are ok.

i managed to find a rather weak vodaphone 2G signal in Scarborough today. :Eeek:....not bad, for a 3G capable MiFi unit

8. The Wino

The Wino Funster

9. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

I agree with the 3 Network. Buy the sims off Amazon normally 2 at a time, each sim has 3gig of airtime for £10. Use then throwaway. Much better value than topping up online.

Regarding GifGaf, am i right in saying there are some restrictions..hotspot etc?

Incidentally, I bought the MIFI from a mobile repair shop for about £25. Cash converter type premises.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  10. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Vodafone for some reason is good in France for data but useless in U/K

BT wifi freezone is good in U/K but BT- wi fi -FON is useless in Europe

3 is good all over :thumb:

11. pappajohn

12. enery8

enery8 Funster

I have a vodafone sim from my dongle in my mifi and it works really well. The sim is from an old dongle that could be topped up and had unlimited time to use the £15 worth of data. Unfortunatly you can't get them anymore. I do agree with those who recommend the 3 network, I found their service very good.

13. pappajohn

I have the same voda sim.........and up to three weeks ago it still had some of the credit it came with from around three years ago due to lack of decent signal.

2G signal in Whitby on the west cliff.....some 2G signal in Scarborough....no signal 3 miles east of Helmsley...no signal in Malvern...no signal in Stratford.

14. enery8

enery8 Funster

I have used my dongle sim a lot, both in the dongle itself and in the mifi I bought unlocked from ebay.
    I noticed on our last trip to Luton (to see mother in law) the performance was not as good as usual at the CL in Peters Green but generally it seems to be pretty good.
    I used it at Stratford show to find out where to get calorlite gas and to check emails etc and it seemed to work okay.

15. patch

patch Read Only Funster

Have just bought a mifi as off to France Monday. Don't have a sim card yet. Are we best buying one in advance or getting one when we arrive in France. The mifi is unlocked

16. enery8

enery8 Funster

17. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

vodaphone sim in mifi?

I have tried in vain to get my Hauwei e5331 to work with my old Vodaphone sim which has lots of lovely credit on it and only needs to be used once every 90 days to preserve it. Anybody know how to get it to work in my midi? Thanks!

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

You will probably need to unlock the device from the original provider. Your provider will probably supply you with a code and instructions but there will probably be a fee payable. Alternatively you could look for other services using Google - but proceed cautiously as not all are guaranteed.

19. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Contacting vodaphone

I have tried to get help from vodaphone to unlock my old dongle sim, but their help number for my old PAYG is "unobtainable" and their website is less than helpful! I have a funny feeling they don't want me to use it any longer!

20. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

I have a unlocked Hauwei and my Vodafone sim works ok in it.
    I did have to turn off the sim card lock in my phone first.