Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion A class
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Funsters,

I am investing in a Mf Fi hot spot.

All I need now is to find out which Sim card to use and, particularly, which ones can be topped up on line.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks in anticipation.

Frank

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Try Giff Gaff. You can use it as PAYG or you can buy "databags" which last month and allow a certain amount of data each month. 500Mb costs £5, 1Gb costs £10 nd 3Gb costs £12.50. No contract and you can chnage between gigabags and PAYG each month, so maximum flexibility.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We use 3 (the MiFi was bought from them and I've not unlocked it (yet)).

The only places I have had difficulty in obtaining a signal were Thetford (Jaws' met a couple of years ago) and Malvern last weekend (though most parts of the showground were fine).

I solved the problem at Malvern by using Jim's trick of putting the MiFi in a plastic bag and taping it to our flag pole. That trick would probably have worked at Thetford as well but I didn't know about it then.

Steve_UK

Free Member
May 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Clubman GL
Exp
Since May 2012
I also use a mi-fi dongle (unlocked) with a 3 PAYG SIM card in the UK. Actually I have recently started using Samba Mobile as they had an offer where the SIM card was £2 delivered. You can then rack up mobile data credit by watching adverts (easier on broadband when at home). I have clocked up almost 3GB credit, and the great thing is that it does not expire unlike almost every other prepay SIM.

That means that I can use the odd few hundred MB here and there and not have to worry about the rest of the unused data being grabbed away from me a month or two later.

For Europe I use a "EuropaSIM" which has recently changed their tariff so that it's €3 per day (midnight to midnight) for unlimited data across just about all European countries. The first 500MB is high-speed after which it drops to some lower speed, but still fast enough for email and browsing. You also get 25 minutes incoming and 25 minutes outgoing calls plus some texts assuming you're using it in a phone.

:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
avoid Vodaphone.....abysmal coverage for data but phone signals are ok.

i managed to find a rather weak vodaphone 2G signal in Scarborough today. :Eeek:....not bad, for a 3G capable MiFi unit

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I agree with the 3 Network. Buy the sims off Amazon normally 2 at a time, each sim has 3gig of airtime for £10. Use then throwaway. Much better value than topping up online.

Regarding GifGaf, am i right in saying there are some restrictions..hotspot etc?

Incidentally, I bought the MIFI from a mobile repair shop for about £25. Cash converter type premises.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Vodafone for some reason is good in France for data but useless in U/K

BT wifi freezone is good in U/K but BT- wi fi -FON is useless in Europe

3 is good all over :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
I have a vodafone sim from my dongle in my mifi and it works really well. The sim is from an old dongle that could be topped up and had unlimited time to use the £15 worth of data. Unfortunatly you can't get them anymore. I do agree with those who recommend the 3 network, I found their service very good.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have a vodafone sim from my dongle in my mifi and it works really well. The sim is from an old dongle that could be topped up and had unlimited time to use the £15 worth of data. Unfortunatly you can't get them anymore. I do agree with those who recommend the 3 network, I found their service very good.

I have the same voda sim.........and up to three weeks ago it still had some of the credit it came with from around three years ago due to lack of decent signal.

2G signal in Whitby on the west cliff.....some 2G signal in Scarborough....no signal 3 miles east of Helmsley...no signal in Malvern...no signal in Stratford.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
I have used my dongle sim a lot, both in the dongle itself and in the mifi I bought unlocked from ebay.
I noticed on our last trip to Luton (to see mother in law) the performance was not as good as usual at the CL in Peters Green but generally it seems to be pretty good.
I used it at Stratford show to find out where to get calorlite gas and to check emails etc and it seemed to work okay.

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
Have just bought a mifi as off to France Monday. Don't have a sim card yet. Are we best buying one in advance or getting one when we arrive in France. The mifi is unlocked

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Have a look at this post about Broken Link Removed

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
vodaphone sim in mifi?

I have tried in vain to get my Hauwei e5331 to work with my old Vodaphone sim which has lots of lovely credit on it and only needs to be used once every 90 days to preserve it. Anybody know how to get it to work in my midi? Thanks!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have tried in vain to get my Hauwei e5331 to work with my old Vodaphone sim which has lots of lovely credit on it and only needs to be used once every 90 days to preserve it. Anybody know how to get it to work in my midi? Thanks!

You will probably need to unlock the device from the original provider. Your provider will probably supply you with a code and instructions but there will probably be a fee payable. Alternatively you could look for other services using Google - but proceed cautiously as not all are guaranteed.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Contacting vodaphone

I have tried to get help from vodaphone to unlock my old dongle sim, but their help number for my old PAYG is "unobtainable" and their website is less than helpful! I have a funny feeling they don't want me to use it any longer!

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I have a unlocked Hauwei and my Vodafone sim works ok in it.
I did have to turn off the sim card lock in my phone first.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
These are the settings from my E5331. Do you know how to access them?you should find them in the user guide or on the net, any problems give me a PM.

All settings are case sensitive!

Vodafone
APN (contract): internet
APN (PAYG): pp.vodafone.co.uk
Username: web
Password: web

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have tried to get help from vodaphone to unlock my old dongle sim, but their help number for my old PAYG is "unobtainable" and their website is less than helpful! I have a funny feeling they don't want me to use it any longer!
you dont unlock the sim, you unlock the device:winky:

once unlocked you need to find an install the updated software for the mifi, which then allows you to log in and change the settings. theres a document in downloads with the APN and password details for all countries and networks

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As others have said, the mifi device, not SIM, is probably locked to the original provider. Where did you get it from? It is that original provider you need to speak to.

Alternatively there are plenty of people on Ebay that will provide an unlock code and instructions. It is a bit risky, but usually works. I have done it a couple of times with locked phones (not mifi units, but same principle) and it worked on both ocassions.

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
sim card

If your going to France I can recommend leFrenchMobile they do data and or voice PAYG at very low cost. They operate in English so there are no language issues.

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
leFrenchMobile

Where are they on sale? Left it too late to buy from here so will have to get one in France. Presumably reasonable rates .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back