mechanical problem

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by darklord, Aug 30, 2012.

1. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

those of you who weild a spanner occasionally, may like to chuck in your opinion on this one,.....to see if its the same as mine.

When i turn on the ignition, then start the engine, it fires immediatly but does not keep running, When I do it the second time it starts and runs normally.
    makes no difference whether its hot or cold....first turn, no...second turn...away we go.

Its a 2005 fiat ducato 2.8jtd,.........................

2. Phill D

Phill D

when you turn on the ignition do you wit a few seconds for the fuel pump to presurise the system and the injector heaters to warm up?

also

if you start the engine and it runs say 5 mins and you switch off, does it still fail to run on first attempt?

3. darklord

Yes and yes:BigGrin:

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Beats me....never come across this ongoing problem before :Blush:

what if.....turn on the ignition then turn off without starting then turn on and attempt to start.

does it start and continue to run then.

if it does, then that should eliminate the fuel side (air leak etc) and point to an electrical fault....possibly pump, immobiliser or a sensor failing.

5. andyman

andyman Read Only Funster

I am sure I have read this can be due a cam sensor fault. Not sure but I think it is due to the wrong gap.
    Andy

6. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

Im sure mine does this as well, (heads a bit fuzzy at this moment) mines also a 2005?

7. bailey

bailey

I had that with my Fiat its a cam sensor problem took it back to Fiat 5 min later perfect

8. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

2.8 jtd 2006

Since I have had a new engine fitted in France :shout: my autotrail is doing this all the time :Doh:

9. Robert00

Robert00 Read Only Funster

Ok..I have a 1989 ford Ranger, 5 speed, with a four cylinder, Well the problem is..When you try to start it.. the starter won't turn over, you just get a grinding sound..I have put a new starter, cypinoid, and battery..Does anybody have any suggestions on what else it could be? i

10. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

ringgear on the fly wheel?
    try pushing it foward in gear about a foot or try turning engine over manuly about half a turn,then try the starter:Smile:

11. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

possibly damaged ring gear on the flywheel [remove starter , look at teeth on flywheel and turn engine by hand a full revolution, you will probably come across a small section where the teeth are mashed , hence the grinding !! ] solution . at best a bit of filing and at worse, gearbox out, flywheel off and fit new ring gear !! regards garry

12. rangitira

rangitira Funster

You don't have to renew the ring gear after removing G/Box, , just heat the old one, it will expand enough from you to remove it, just a few taps with a ballpeen will do it. Then reheat and replace the ring but about 150mm further on, so new teeth where starter engages IN THE THREE POSITIONS it engages on the flywheel

Sorted:Wink:

13. BobT

BobT Trader - Tour Operator

Mechanical experience

From my vast engineering experience I can tell you that it is a fault with something under the big metal bit on the front of the 'van. I suggest you call the AA or RAC.

• Like Like x 1
  14. darklord

Thanks chaps, I was thinking it was the scavenge pump in the tank, but will have a look at the cam sensor.

Witht the ranger problem, I agree...mashed ring gear teeth. If that proves to be the case, it is possible to drop the gearbox, and remove the flywheel,..replace it after turning it 180%. Make sure the bolts are not single use before replacing.

15. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

I've noticed this with many common rail diesels after changing the fuel filter.
    They usually do it for a day or three,or until you give them a good blast down the road.
    Must be a bit of trapped wind(air) in the fuel system,then they are fine until the next fuel filter.