Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
those of you who weild a spanner occasionally, may like to chuck in your opinion on this one,.....to see if its the same as mine.

When i turn on the ignition, then start the engine, it fires immediatly but does not keep running, When I do it the second time it starts and runs normally.
makes no difference whether its hot or cold....first turn, no...second turn...away we go.

Its a 2005 fiat ducato 2.8jtd,.........................

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
when you turn on the ignition do you wit a few seconds for the fuel pump to presurise the system and the injector heaters to warm up?

also

if you start the engine and it runs say 5 mins and you switch off, does it still fail to run on first attempt?

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Yes and yes::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Beats me....never come across this ongoing problem before :Blush:

what if.....turn on the ignition then turn off without starting then turn on and attempt to start.

does it start and continue to run then.

if it does, then that should eliminate the fuel side (air leak etc) and point to an electrical fault....possibly pump, immobiliser or a sensor failing.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I am sure I have read this can be due a cam sensor fault. Not sure but I think it is due to the wrong gap.
Andy

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Im sure mine does this as well, (heads a bit fuzzy at this moment) mines also a 2005?

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
2.8 jtd 2006

Since I have had a new engine fitted in France :shout: my autotrail is doing this all the time :Doh:

Robert00

Free Member
Aug 31, 2012
canada
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ok..I have a 1989 ford Ranger, 5 speed, with a four cylinder, Well the problem is..When you try to start it.. the starter won't turn over, you just get a grinding sound..I have put a new starter, cypinoid, and battery..Does anybody have any suggestions on what else it could be? i

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Ok..I have a 1989 ford Ranger, 5 speed, with a four cylinder, Well the problem is..When you try to start it.. the starter won't turn over, you just get a grinding sound..I have put a new starter, cypinoid, and battery..Does anybody have any suggestions on what else it could be? i
ringgear on the fly wheel?
try pushing it foward in gear about a foot or try turning engine over manuly about half a turn,then try the starter:Smile:

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
possibly damaged ring gear on the flywheel [remove starter , look at teeth on flywheel and turn engine by hand a full revolution, you will probably come across a small section where the teeth are mashed , hence the grinding !! ] solution . at best a bit of filing and at worse, gearbox out, flywheel off and fit new ring gear !! regards garry

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
You don't have to renew the ring gear after removing G/Box, , just heat the old one, it will expand enough from you to remove it, just a few taps with a ballpeen will do it. Then reheat and replace the ring but about 150mm further on, so new teeth where starter engages IN THE THREE POSITIONS it engages on the flywheel

Sorted:winky:

BobT

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Mechanical experience

From my vast engineering experience I can tell you that it is a fault with something under the big metal bit on the front of the 'van. I suggest you call the AA or RAC.

OP
OP
darklord

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Thanks chaps, I was thinking it was the scavenge pump in the tank, but will have a look at the cam sensor.

Witht the ranger problem, I agree...mashed ring gear teeth. If that proves to be the case, it is possible to drop the gearbox, and remove the flywheel,..replace it after turning it 180%. Make sure the bolts are not single use before replacing.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
those of you who weild a spanner occasionally, may like to chuck in your opinion on this one,.....to see if its the same as mine.

When i turn on the ignition, then start the engine, it fires immediatly but does not keep running, When I do it the second time it starts and runs normally.
makes no difference whether its hot or cold....first turn, no...second turn...away we go.

Its a 2005 fiat ducato 2.8jtd,.........................

I've noticed this with many common rail diesels after changing the fuel filter.
They usually do it for a day or three,or until you give them a good blast down the road.
Must be a bit of trapped wind(air) in the fuel system,then they are fine until the next fuel filter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back