Max.permissible mass (exc. m/c)? (2 Viewers)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi, I've just registered on the site (been meaning to for a while) after getting my V5C back. This is the 2nd time they've sent it back. The first time they stuffed up the revenue weight, it was still 3500. This time the revenue weight is 3650 but.... you guessed it, the MPM weight is 3500. I'm just glad I didn't pay 300 quid for the privilege via svTech lol
They always do that, took 4 months on my last van to get it right.

rbvoxx

Free Member
Aug 25, 2019
Funster No
Jokers lol. Trouble is, if you get arsy with them on the phone, I'm sure they make it take longer

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Having uprated our moho and after 3 years of getting the v5 returned numerous times with the wrong GVW, I finally contacted my MP and within a week received the correct document followed by a letter of apology and a cheque for compensation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rbvoxx

Free Member
Aug 25, 2019
Funster No
I called DVLA today, waited for ages whilst the lady checked with the correct department (one I am not allowed to contact directly apparently). I advised her that many people on forums have received V5C forms back with revenue weight updated, but with MPM remaining unchanged. Once she had asked the question to the department I couldn't talk to, she advised that they never change the MPM, it remains the same. She said there would be no reason why I couldn't write in and send my V5C again asking if they could change it. I've read loads of forums on this and it seems like the luck of the draw as to who processes the change. It's almost MP time lol. Or, just plead ignorance if I ever get stopped. I think this may be more of an issue if pulled over in the EU though, according to other posts.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Regardless of jokes about motorbikes this thread has still not explained what

(exc m/c)

means.

Put me out of my misery please.

And no, I am not going to ask DVLA - I bet half of them do not know what DVLA means.

Geoff
Put it like this.... You won't get a 3500kg motorbike.

Exc M/C means exactly that, motorcycles are totally excluded from this weight restriction.
A motorcycle V5C will never show a MPM

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Exc M/C means exactly that, motorcycles are totally excluded from this weight restriction.

So DVLA should also have put (excl. Motor Caravans), as they have not entered anything in F.1 for mine, despite having it for original registration and back for change of ownership 3 times.

Do they ever proof-read what they issue? It is a legal document and should be correct.

Geoff

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010

No, but you can get close!!

1566911839144.png

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
May aswell update this thread. It is now 2021 and DVLA are still leaving the MPM at 3500KG. Not sure I can be bothered to correct them.

1. Revenue weight is correct.
2. The plate is what the police are likley to look at. I don't carry the V5 in the van. I might abroad but would they look or understand?
3. Does anyone ever get stopped and weighed. Very rare. (OK there may be 1 or 2 but I bet you have better chance of winning the lottery)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
May aswell update this thread. It is now 2021 and DVLA are still leaving the MPM at 3500KG. Not sure I can be bothered to correct them.

1. Revenue weight is correct.
2. The plate is what the police are likley to look at. I don't carry the V5 in the van. I might abroad but would they look or understand?
3. Does anyone ever get stopped and weighed. Very rare. (OK there may be 1 or 2 but I bet you have better chance of winning the lottery)
I had exactly the same problem, so after 3 or 4 futile attempts to have it corrected I wrote to my MP and it was sorted in a few days. I subsequently received a letter of apology from DVLA along with a small cheque in compensation.
Don't let them get away with it just because they don't understand their own system.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Can European plod want to see your "log book" and would they know the difference between the categories*.

I just think that your legal registration document should be correct

*as I don't do overseas I have no idea of the requirements.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Can European plod want to see your "log book" and would they know the difference between the categories*.

I just think that your legal registration document should be correct

*as I don't do overseas I have no idea of the requirements.
In 35 years of European travel I have been stopped once, and one more time with a friend who was speeding. They will ask to see your passport and possibly driving license but I've never experienced anything else. These documents aren't consistent across Europe so I'd be surprised it your average plod would understand it and I've no awareness of a requirement to take it with you. (I many be just ignorant on this point though)

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Since this topic has been re-opened may I add what I have found out since it was aired before.

I researched the basis for ascertaining 'Revenue weight' and it boils down to the fact that it is based on MPLM.

Maybe the thinking in DVLA is that therefore the MPLM is inherently displayed by virtue of 'Revenue Weight'

There are two problems here

Firstly that may be good enough for UK Policeman or DVSA who probably know this.

Secondly, the para containing 'Revenue Weight' (cannot quote as V5C not here) is purely for UK tax purposes, which is why it is in [ ]. It does not appear on other internationally accepted registration certificates in the same format.

The consequence of second problem is that the authorities would naturally look for the MPLM, not knowing that Revenue Weight, under UK law, is based on that.

When these sort of difficulties with DVLA documentation in foreign countries is questioned with them their standard answer is "We cannot comment on the law in other countries". That is head in the sand and most unhelpful - that is my way of not breaching Forum Rules!!!!

I do not know whether it is still the case, but on another matter I tried to contact DVLA 'Legal Dept.' to be told that they do not have one and referred me to DfT Legal Dept., which when confronted with the problem promptly replied 'That is a matter for DVLA'.

DVLA are only concerned with collecting revenue, thus no legal dept, no document of title(V5c states that on the front in large type).

I see no point in the issue of a V5c if it is only for UK authorities' use, as they have access to the information on-line and it has little use internationally. To prove ownership I carry the original of the Bill of Sale

I should have written a stiff letter to the Minister for Transport, but I found another solution .I apologise for letting you all down in not tackling these issues.

Geoff

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I had the same problem a few months ago, Revenue weight 3850kg and MPM 3500kg. I used the DVLA online Complaints Procedure. Within a few days I received an apology by email and a further few days later a revised V5C with both weights showing 3850kg. I did not have to return the incorrect V5C or do anything more than complete the online form.

This is the link.
My thanks to Minxy Girl and other funsters who drew my attention to this easy procedure.

Last edited:

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
Would you believe it old thread I know but same old DVLA just got my log book back, revenue weight 4500 max permissible weight 3500

Beggar's belief :mad: We are away soon to France/Spain not going to send log book back until our return

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Would you believe it old thread I know but same old DVLA just got my log book back, revenue weight 4500 max permissible weight 3500

Beggar's belief :mad: We are away soon to France/Spain not going to send log book back until our return
Did you remember to hand correct the max permissible mass figure? The standard form only covers the revenue weight and the max p mass relies on a hand correction, they do not assume the 2 figures are the same. Having done this mine still came back wrong but I used their online complaints procedure and within a few days they sent out a correct log book without me having to send the incorrect one back first.

B69C7B19-FDDE-47FF-AFB8-B2A7196A13E8.jpeg

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

When I uprated my last van it took them over 4 months to get it right & that was in normal times.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
This thread illustrates just what I have said many times: DVLA are only concerned with tax collection, so get 'Revenue weight' correct, but are not concerned with the legality of the V5c in terms of it demonstrating the right of the vehicle to be operated in accordance with its category.

In UK it probably does not matter as the authorities know the incompetence of DVLA, but elsewhere it can be a problem.

I have many times suggested that registration of vehicles and their details be taken away from DVLA, which is an Agency of the DfT and handed to DVSA, also an Agency of DfT, because they have people who understand vehicles, construction, weights and equipment. DVSA already do certification of vehicle types and individual vehicles, and also run the MOT system. It seems to me such a logical step.

Geoff

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
Did you remember to hand correct the max permissible mass figure? The standard form only covers the revenue weight and the max p mass relies on a hand correction, they do not assume the 2 figures are the same. Having done this mine still came back wrong but I used their online complaints procedure and within a few days they sent out a correct log book without me having to send the incorrect one back first.

I've filled out the complaint form, hopefully they will send out a new V5 without the need to send this one back thus cutting time to a minimum.

Thanks for the link Pausim

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
Just got a email back from SVTECH who did the paperwork saying so long as the revenue weight is correct I am good to go, I'll see what DVLA say re the complaint form I sent, if DVLA are going to send a new log book all well and good, if I have to mess about sending this one back I'll wait until we are back from Spain. I don't want to take the chance of the new log book not coming in time And if DVLA say same as SVTECH then again all well and good.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just got a email back from SVTECH who did the paperwork saying so long as the revenue weight is correct I am good to go, I'll see what DVLA say re the complaint form I sent, if DVLA are going to send a new log book all well and good, if I have to mess about sending this one back I'll wait until we are back from Spain. I don't want to take the chance of the new log book not coming in time And if DVLA say same as SVTECH then again all well and good.

I did some research not long ago into the legal basis for the term 'Revenue Weight'. It is defined through a couple of steps but is ultimately based on MPM, so SVTECH are correct.

That approach would hold good in UK where this is the law.

In other countries one may be able to rely on the latest updated weight plate.

However, in countries, particularly ex-soviet ones where 'Papers. Papers' is the normal approach, and where there is no entry on their own registration documents for Revenue Weight, they might not have that understanding if the MPM is not correct.

The DVLA seem not to understand the difficulties that they may make outside the UK.

Geoff

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My previous motorhome which was registered from new as a PHGV over 3500kg had the MPM left blank. I believe this is normal and perhaps why the DVLA ignore this figure when up plating.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i just check my V5 its got the correct revenue weight but nothing in the F1 max permissible mass.... :rolleyes:

i have a photo of the original V5 @ 3500 revenue and blank Max perm mass; and the current V5 since uprating has the correct Revenue weight but a blank Mam Per mass also.

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
Got reply back from DVLA complaints, they are sending out another V5.

"Thank you for your email dated 14 March 2022 regarding the above vehicle. I am the Customer Service Representative assigned to your enquiry.

I have updated the maximum permissible mass to mirror the new revenue weight for the vehicle. A replacement V5C will be issued to you. Once you receive this please destroy the previous document issued to you.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused"

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
Guess what? it is now 28-04-2022, and same happened to me, wanted to go from 3500 to 3700, came back revenue weight 4500, MPM 3500, I am now once again going to change from 3700 to 3850, because I have now changed to air assist suspension, We will see.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
If the mam section 7.1 has nothing on it does it really matter

revenue weight is correct at 3500.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.