Marker board in Europe

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by chesterfield hooligan, May 30, 2010.

1. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Smile: Hi could someone tell me if I need one of the large triangler marker boards, our camper is 6 metre's and the motorbike trailer is 5 metre's total 11 metre's. Also if I need one where would I purchase one thank you for any help given.:Smile:

2. dave jm

dave jm Read Only Funster

You will need 2 for Spain..in the event of a breakdown they must be placed 1x 50mtrs behind and 1x 50mtrs in front of vehicle also driver and passenger(s) must wear reflective jackets when out of vehicle....To purchase try fleebay or your local boot fair...Dave

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

There appears to be some confusion here. The triangular warning signs are different. The question I think refered to the RECTANGULAR marker boards with diagonal stripes to denote a long load. Which SHOULD be carried on the rear of a trailer. Try AA, Halfords, and even port motorist shops.

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

it would only need the normal small reflective triangles we should have on a trailer . unless its over 7.5 ton as a vehicle or a trailer over 3.5ton.

5. chesterfield hooligan

:Smile: Hi that's what I needed to know as I had seen RECTANGULAR marker boards with diagonal stripes on long load's as I will be transporting motorbike's to and from Europe I just wanted to be sure thank you all for your quick reply's yours Brian :Smile:

6. dave jm

dave jm Read Only Funster

Sorry if i give information on the wrong subject:Doh::Doh:...it was Sunday morning and thats when i have my senior moments:Rofl1:....but it might have been info you never knew...Dave

7. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

what alan says is of course correct , standard trailer triangles for you !
    but what happens if the load overhangs the trailer ?
    presumably you need the rectangular board unless the lights/triangles/number plate is fixed behind the overhanging load

8. chesterfield hooligan

:Smile: Hi I have a standard Smart car trailer 9'8" bed converted to carry 3 motorbike's, to and from Europe it has all the standard light's and reflector's. I will be collecting and delivering in Europe, so I was just making sure I am legal there will be no overhang thank you all again. :Smile:

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the way i interpret this is...you only need a marker board if the load extends beyond the very rearmost lights....which in your case will be the trailer lights.
    so, no you wont need a board.

if you have a bike rack or backbox and arent towing, then yes...you do need one.