LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I have a 2.8 jtd 4000kg mh which i had remaped. So you are hearing it from the horses mouth so to speak. Best single mod. i have done to the mh, now pulls much better where as before i was in and out of top gear all the time. I often pull a tailer. I have done 10,000 miles since the mod. done scotland and wales so pleanty of hills. Clutch still good. I read that lots of people have had problems one way or another, guess i'm the lucky one. The fuel consumpsion is about the same as it was just much better to drive. If you get it done i hope it works out for you.
Steve

Ive got the same engin and to save me typeing, I just say I echo the above, IE more drivabilty, same mpg, no clutch problems. But do you need it with the 3ltr?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
one big difference between the td and jtd is the jtd in 3.5 tonnes complies with the lez where th td doesnt however the jtd in an over 3.5 tonnes doesnt dont you just love the people who make the rules

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
We had a 2.8 remapped, was not looking for economy, but didn't enjoy driving it, 5th gear was useless unless you could keep it at about 70 if it dropped to 65 you would be stirring the box, had it mapped & it was a joy to drive, no clutch problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
But do you need it with the 3ltr?

HI SC 05 OUT I just can't answer that at the moment. All I can say is the vehicle I am buying is a 5000kgs Gross Weight which is 1000Kgs over yours "I assume the 4000Kgs was your gross and not the unladen weight or whatever they call it nowadays" and the V5 says its 2999cc, 3ltr to not split hairs.
In some respects I hope I don't need it as I don't want to spend money if I don't have to.
But I want a vehicle that does not struggle up hills and not be continually changing gear even on a slight incline. I've driven vehicles like that before and it's not what I call pleasant driving, and I'm buying this for a pleasant time not a drudge.
Anyway Thanks for your input. Tony

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
HI SC 05 OUT I just can't answer that at the moment. All I can say is the vehicle I am buying is a 5000kgs Gross Weight which is 1000Kgs over yours "I assume the 4000Kgs was your gross and not the unladen weight or whatever they call it nowadays" and the V5 says its 2999cc, 3ltr to not split hairs.
In some respects I hope I don't need it as I don't want to spend money if I don't have to.
But I want a vehicle that does not struggle up hills and not be continually changing gear even on a slight incline. I've driven vehicles like that before and it's not what I call pleasant driving, and I'm buying this for a pleasant time not a drudge.
Anyway Thanks for your input. Tony

my gross is 3850kgs, but the older engine needed a bit extra upm to save changing gear on inclines, hence my upgrade..

I thought the 3ltr was more than man for the job in standard form but i ve never driven one.
The firm I used did promise a free refund and a return to the older vaules if I wasnt fully happy.

On a differant note, is that you in your avatar, because if so we could well be twins, even the glass's are the same...spooky

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
we could well be twins,
That is a picture of me in 2015 summer, don't I look misserable, lol, so you think you're my doppelgänger do you, stranger things have happened. You've got my curiosity up now, I'm not sure how I would react to meeting me face to face. lol. But it would be interesting. Your names not Tony as well is it, and are you a Northern Lad like me?
Best Wishes Tony

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
one big difference between the td and jtd is the jtd in 3.5 tonnes complies with the lez where th td doesnt however the jtd in an over 3.5 tonnes doesnt dont you just love the people who make the rules

The JTD by virtue of its common rail technology runs cleaner. Im guessing but compliance depends on emissions readings ? JTD will have lower emissions figures so its likely down to the rules and the cut off points at which vehicles comply..

The JTD in the bigger heavier vehicle will be working harder to shift the extra weight or perceived weight . This will mean a small amount of extra outputs from the engine which in turn means it must have strayed over the tightly set limits. This suggests the JTD when in sub 3500Kg form must be running close to the limit.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My MH is not Fiat but has the Mercedes 3L engine and has more than enough performance for our 4tons. Are you sure you need to boost performance at all, after all a motorhome is not designed for racing.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
That is a picture of me in 2015 summer, don't I look misserable, lol, so you think you're my doppelgänger do you, stranger things have happened. You've got my curiosity up now, I'm not sure how I would react to meeting me face to face. lol. But it would be interesting. Your names not Tony as well is it, and are you a Northern Lad like me?
Best Wishes Tony

it was a bit scary...but no not another Tony.. very simular age mind

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Did someones dad have a .."Remapped bike ?" JOKE!
Tea Bag

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Had my Autotrail 2.8 JTD remapped 3 years ago. I tow a toad and it made a big difference when going up hills. A lot less gear changing and more pleasant to drive. Cant say I noticed any fuel saving.

Used a company called WOW tuning and it cost £299. No box fitted he used a laptop to make the changes. They said if I was unhappy they would put it back to original settings. I've read a lot about people having clutch problems but I had no problems whatsover.

Sold the vehicle now but would seriously consider doing it again.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
I had a 2007 burstner with the 3ltr engine usually running at about 5ton including trailer getting about 27 mpg and pulled like a train. Can not see any point in mapping.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Had my Autotrail 2.8 JTD remapped 3 years ago. I tow a toad and it made a big difference when going up hills. A lot less gear changing and more pleasant to drive. Cant say I noticed any fuel saving.

Used a company called WOW tuning and it cost £299. No box fitted he used a laptop to make the changes. They said if I was unhappy they would put it back to original settings. I've read a lot about people having clutch problems but I had no problems whatsover.

Sold the vehicle now but would seriously consider doing it again.

it was wow I used as well, just could not remember thier name

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
getting about 27 mpg
If I get that I will be more than happy, but with me it's more about drivability. If mine pulls like yours I'll leave it alone. By the way nice fish, what is it a wildy common or a grass carp. looks like a wildy to me. Did you catch it in the river or lake? Not too keen on calling someone sweetie but hey each to his own. lol
Best Wishes Tony

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Had my 3.0 ltr tag done by quantum tuning, supposed to be 201bhp now, but i can't really tell any difference from the 156 bhp it used to have.
The 3.0 ltr is such a strong pulling engine. i tried the tuning boxes and sent those back,as i could see no difference with them.
But after moving up from a 1999 2.5 TDI peugeot engine, even a mini 850 would seem powerful.
I would say try the 3.0 ltr as it is first,, you'll be surprised at the power.
ps..i fitted a new clutch before the re map was done as it would slip under power.
The previous owner must have abused it, as the plate & flywheel was full of blue high spots.
pps i get around 25 mpg running at 65/70 mph

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
torque and driveability is exactly what the 3.0 has. i just wanted better mpg, which a remap probably has done.
except every time we go off the weight and number of people always change and i get different mpg or i drive it different.
But it is a joy to drive compared to our works transit.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
My MH is not Fiat but has the Mercedes 3L engine
If I'm to understand the masses, it's a much better engine in the Merc, and to be honest I would of rather had a Merc, but buying second hand sometimes you have to go for what is about. There seems to be a lot more Fiats without the Merc engine than with.
Best wishes Tony

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
If you would like it remapped I can do that for you. I live in Poole Dorset and have been mapping vehicles for 10 years now, I have remapped both my motorhomes and have never had a problem with either of them. My current van is an 2015 autotrail Apache 130 2.3. The power was dreadful for the weight of the van and I was always up and down the gearbox. Im now 4 mpg better off and it's an easier van to drive with not so many gear changes. I also map vans for the local independent Motorhome dealer near me, never had a problem either. I travel all over the country so if you would like it doing just let me know and I'll come to you and do it.
If you want to pm me I'll give you my mobile number and I'll happily answer any questions or concerns you may have.
Something else that may be of interest to you and other motorhomers is this.
www.cgon.co.uk
I am a certified installer for this product. It creates hydrogen and feeds it into the air intake which in turn reduces emissions and gives you more power and better mpg. It is more expensive that a remap though.
Have a look and let me know what you think.
Tony.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Have a look and let me know what you think.

Hi Tony Thanks for the offer, I’m always interested in things like this, at Whitbread where I worked back in 93 we experimented with a few systems, magnets round the fuel lines different air foils and engine additives, special oils but never got any amazing results apart from the air foils on the units and the drays. These figures are a big claim, if it works, I do like the sound of reducing emissions, and you can understand the scepticism, I’m sure you get that a lot, but I’m willing to look into it should I decide my vehicle needs a boost. I would feel much happier coming to you as not only are you near but you are on here as well. Don’t know why that makes a difference to me but it does.

Best Wishes Tony

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
Not a problem, if you have the remap done you can have it on me for a couple of weeks, if you don't like it or you feel there is no improvement then I will return it to standard, no charge. If your happy with it then you'll have to pay for it unfortunately lol.
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions if you need too.
Tony.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
can have it on me for a couple of weeks
Hi Tony now that's what I call a man who stands by what he does and his experience in his work, that to me and anyone else gives comfort to those sceptical about mapping. Your a chap after my own heart I've done that for people in the past "No not mapping" but something else and if they were not please with it to give it me back and only pay when they are perfectly sattisfied with it. Fair play to you sir.
Best Wishes Tony

Tony drake

Free Member
May 22, 2015
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2008
I will always stand by what I do mate. Go and you enjoy your new MH when you get it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have a fiat 3ltr manual and it is very drivable with plenty of power, so not remapped

I have however experienced sudden catastrophic clutch failure. i have always driven smoothly without slamming the clutch etc, so not driving style. the commercial garage saved the shattered disc to show me and mentioned they had seen numerous before that had failed this way. its a pretty puny little clutch for the weight of the van and its standard 150bhp

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
I thought I would give you my personal experience. What @MH 55 FUN says is correct having been involved in the motor manufacturing business for over 36 years each engine is capable of various ps ratings. I have the 2.8 jti and decided to have it remapped as we have a toad so wanted better torque and drive ability. I decided on Superchips went and spoke to the engineer who knew what he was talking about and had years experience. That was a couple of years ago and so far very pleased with difference. No problems with the clutch. So on a personal basis it was worth it.
Phil.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I thought I would give you my personal experience. What @MH 55 FUN says is correct having been involved in the motor manufacturing business for over 36 years each engine is capable of various ps ratings. I have the 2.8 jti and decided to have it remapped as we have a toad so wanted better torque and drive ability. I decided on Superchips went and spoke to the engineer who knew what he was talking about and had years experience. That was a couple of years ago and so far very pleased with difference. No problems with the clutch. So on a personal basis it was worth it.
Phil.

Thank you @ Boycie / Phil, I also comment with the experience of owning & driving 2 remapped diesel vehicles for over 10 years / 60,000 odd miles combined, with zero issues & both remapped by Superchips. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back