Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We are going on our first trip very soon in our first Motorhome. We have a 2004 swift Kon tiki. Probably a daft sounding question to you experts but how do you guys connect Motorhome to mains water when on the "super" pitches. What's needed and how'd it done?

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Like badknee I too have an Autocruise Wentworth. The fitting in the photo takes a hose with hoselock fitting to enable filling from the tap or,by changing to sub pump fitting you can fill from a container, the power coming from the right hand side two pins. So, whilst others walk a furrow to the tap with watering cans or drive back to service point, I roll 45 litres over every few days. Simples :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
My reason for asking is this. As I mentioned we are new to Motorhomes. When using Aquaroll method I explained earlier the water for drinking was always fresh. Not stored in a potentially dirty on board tank. I believed that the same principle used during my time caravanning would work in a Motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Like badknee I too have an Autocruise Wentworth. The fitting in the photo takes a hose with hoselock fitting to enable filling from the tap or,by changing to sub pump fitting you can fill from a container, the power coming from the right hand side two pins. So, whilst others walk a furrow to the tap with watering cans or drive back to service point, I roll 45 litres over every few days. Simples :D
All well and good....but Kontiki's have a regular filler hole, not a caravan type whale filler so that method doesn't apply.

How often does the on-board 100 ltr+ tank need filling in a week.?
Not that often and the hose and tap is on pitch.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
My reason for asking is this. As I mentioned we are new to Motorhomes. When using Aquaroll method I explained earlier the water for drinking was always fresh. Not stored in a potentially dirty on board tank. I believed that the same principle used during my time caravanning would work in a Motorhome.
Many motorhomers - myself included - carry refillable bottles or jerrycans for drinking & maybe cooking water, and use the tank for everything else.

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I live opposite a tugger-we often discuss such matters.He uses exactly the same methods to clean his aquaroll as I use on my fresh water tank.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I live opposite a tugger-we often discuss such matters.He uses exactly the same methods to clean his aquaroll as I use on my fresh water tank.
I use nothing to clean/disinfect the tank and I don't puke or get the shits by drinking the water from the tank.

Tap water contains chlorine to keep bacteria under contol...just as it does at home

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I use nothing to clean/disinfect the tank and I don't puke or get the shits by drinking the water from the tank.

Tap water contains chlorine to keep bacteria under contol...just as it does at home.
Some folks are just paranoid.

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

Tap water contains chlorine to keep bacteria under contol...just as it does at home
Nor do we-we both just wash them out a couple of times and leave them open to dry thoroughly.Then rinse out again just before filling for a trip.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Surely each to their own. this week a super pitch,, next week 100yds from tap. We too put cleaner in tank at beginning of season,, our water is used for everything including drinking (this through a separate filter and tap), and have never had any problems. Others use bottled water,, never used that at home so why when away ?? It does seem on this forum if you do things differently, or have a different system it is considered wrong or as in previous post,, why,, well,,, why not ?? :)

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Nor do we-we both just wash them out a couple of times and leave them open to dry thoroughly.Then rinse out again just before filling for a trip.
Surely each to their own. this week a super pitch,, next week 100yds from tap. We too put cleaner in tank at beginning of season,, our water is used for everything including drinking (this through a separate filter and tap), and have never had any problems. Others use bottled water,, never used that at home so why when away ?? It does seem on this forum if you do things differently, or have a different system it is considered wrong or as in previous post,, why,, well,,, why not ?? :)
The other side of the coin,of course,is that you learn what other people do and can try that if it seems easier or sensible :)
I try to ensure that our tank water is used and replenished on a regular basis-water left not being used is not a good idea.
We do fill a couple of bottles from the tap and keep them in fridge because we both like cold water.

Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
I have an inboard tank but use an aquaroll mounted on a rack under my truck fitted with one of the mains adaptors, I don't have to move the aquaroll to the tap as it is constantly being refreshed (but the option to use it as intended is still there), from the mounted aquaroll I can by using a couple of taps inside the vehicle either fill the in board tank via the aquaroll,and either use the in board tank or the aquaroll as my source of water, if on a site where we can't connect the mains hose to the aquaroll I can just wheel it off and fill rather than move the whole vehicle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I have an inboard tank but use an aquaroll mounted on a rack under my truck fitted with one of the mains adaptors, I don't have to move the aquaroll to the tap as it is constantly being refreshed (but the option to use it as intended is still there), from the mounted aquaroll I can by using a couple of taps inside the vehicle either fill the in board tank via the aquaroll,and either use the in board tank or the aquaroll as my source of water, if on a site where we can't connect the mains hose to the aquaroll I can just wheel it off and fill rather than move the whole vehicle.
Nice idea.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
So with that would you connect a Aquaroll or similar then pump directly from it via pump on Motorhome
Sorry been busy, I have a container to fill the on board tank five gallon at a time or a hose attached to the mains.
image.jpg

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You cannot use the onboard pump to draw water from the aquaroll...you must have a submersible whale type pump in the aquaroll to push water into the onboard tank.
the onboard pump is solely to feed the taps FROM the onboard tank.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We use the hose to fill up at home or as we come or go on a site but if we are staying a while and need water I can get five gallon and put it into the tank with a submersible pump as shown. The electrical connection is plugged in the side of the attachment.

Upvote 0

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
There will come the day that you will and then as you are running for the dunny at 3am , you'll perhaps come to the conclusion, that perhaps you should have cleaned out your water tank, rather than having your internal tank cleaned out for you. Tanks do get contaminated especially if you travel far and wide and use a variety of different water taps across Europe and if you ever have a look in a water tank that's only been in use for a year and longer ,you will find a very black deposit of slime. Like MikeandCarolyn, I clean mine out at the beginning and end of season. I also leave it dry for the layup period, I suppose it comes from my yachting days. Hope it helps

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Nice idea, but fulltimer has a 7500kg truck based motorhome with masses of underbody space....you have a van with very little underbody space, nowhere to fit an aquaroll.
Yea I agree.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There will come the day that you will and then as you are running for the dunny at 3am , you'll perhaps come to the conclusion, that perhaps you should have cleaned out your water tank, rather than having your internal tank cleaned out for you. Tanks do get contaminated especially if you travel far and wide and use a variety of different water taps across Europe and if you ever have a look in a water tank that's only been in use for a year and longer ,you will find a very black deposit of slime. Like MikeandCarolyn, I clean mine out at the beginning and end of season. I also leave it dry for the layup period, I suppose it comes from my yachting days. Hope it helps
Hasnt happened in the last 8 or 9 years.
i have drunk from rivers or even deep puddles if the need arises so i dont think a bit of tank contamination will have any lasting effect.
pamper your stomach and it will bite back at the slightest thing.

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Don't quite get this thread. Don't understand why anyone with a Euro motorhome would want mains water pumped in constantly... what about the waste.. .I'd want a sealed waste outlet . how are you going to use so much water..
Another thing that struck me was people drinking from their water tank.. We never do.. As with most others we drink from bottled water (just like a lot of Europeans do)..
But each to their own.

Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
You cannot use the onboard pump to draw water from the aquaroll...you must have a submersible whale type pump in the aquaroll to push water into the onboard tank.
the onboard pump is solely to feed the taps FROM the onboard tank.
I can assure you that in our system I use an inboard pump (sure flow) that quite easily feeds our water from the aquaroll to either the inboard tank or the taps or from the inboard tank to the taps, we also had a very similar system on our last caravan

Upvote 0

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
We use the hose to fill up at home or as we come or go on a site but if we are staying a while and need water I can get five gallon and put it into the tank with a submersible pump as shown. The electrical connection is plugged in the side of the attachment.
Yes we do exactly the same, but I use and aquaroll and the 12v electrics for the sub pump comes through from the van , really easy mod to do, and the sub pump I have, can empty the aquaroll in about 5mins, we also carry a long hose food grade and a short hose with interconnector. Works for me!

Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
Nice idea, but fulltimer has a 7500kg truck based motorhome with masses of underbody space....you have a van with very little underbody space, nowhere to fit an aquaroll.
you could still use the same system just carry the aquaroll in board until on site this is what we used to have to do with the caravan which was designed like this by Swift,

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
look in a water tank that's only been in use for a year you will find a very black deposit of slime.
The opaque tank in my RV has been there ince 1999 and is as clean internally as the day it was fitted....as was the tank in my last kontiki (2001)
if my tank had a film of black slime i would be re-considering where i was filling from.
even our house loft tank (galv steel cold water storage) only has grit and debris in the bottom...and thats been there the best part of 90 years.

Upvote 0

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
Hasnt happened in the last 8 or 9 years.
i have drunk from rivers or even deep puddles if the need arises so i dont think a bit of tank contamination will have any lasting effect.
pamper your stomach and it will bite back at the slightest thing.
Trust me Pappjohn , one day it will and then you'll need to pamper your stomach, never had much need for puddle water though , even on survival training. But as someone else said earlier in the thread each to their own

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back