LPG gas fitters - any advice/recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017
I've decided to get an LPG cylinder fitted for the convenience when travelling around Europe. Gas It seems like the best value as far as I can tell, they have a page on their site showing all the dealers around the country, so I was going to call a few for quotes.

Thought I should run it by the funsters first just in case there's any gotchas I need to be aware of, or in case anyone has a favourite to recommend!

Thanks
Rich

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I had Gaslow fitted by Vanbitz while they were doing some other stuff.

Fitting it isn't really any different to changing a bottle - if you can do that you can fit it yourself. OK you need to fit a filler somewhere but that's basic DIY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rollin
Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017
Fitting it isn't really any different to changing a bottle - if you can do that you can fit it yourself. OK you need to fit a filler somewhere but that's basic DIY.
This is what I've read too, however I've not ever changed a gas bottle! I'm sure I could manage, and I think my van has all the required bits apart from the bottle, but given my DIY skills can be a bit .. ah .. clumsy at times, I think I'm going to go for getting a professional to do it. It will give me the reassurance that the van gas system is all safe and not going to go bang.

OP
OP
Rollin
Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017
If in north, Autogas
This is a possibility, as I might be taking the camper up to the Lakes towards the end of the week, so could potentially stop there on the way and get the gas sorted. I think I've seen Autogas recommended on other threads as well.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Thumbs up for Autogas as well in Thirsk. If you are not tight for weight then they also do Stako, (I think) steel bottles which are a little cheaper.

You can can stay over as well if required.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Phone them tomorrow. You will probably need to book but cancellations do come up.
They also do the aluminium gas bottles that are half the weight.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
This is a possibility, as I might be taking the camper up to the Lakes towards the end of the week, so could potentially stop there on the way and get the gas sorted. I think I've seen Autogas recommended on other threads as well.
If you're going to Thirsk, stay over at my nephew's pub, which has excellent food. He has one space for a motorhome, but phone in advance in case it's busy. A couple of miles from Autogas, The King's Arms, Sandhutton. (He is a Britstop too.)

OP
OP
Rollin
Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017
Wow so a lot of people like Autogas. Amazing. What can be so great about it - do you get a full body massage with mink gloves while you wait, as they whisper in your ear how beautiful you are?? :LOL:

We haven't decided for definite if we're going up that way, all these commendations for Autogas will definitely have an influence. If the weather we're forecast shows up but doesn't make it that far north, I may have a job convincing the others (although the mink body massage could swing it)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Yet another thumbs up for Autogas, Thirsk. Had Lightweight Alugas bottle fitted. Went hoping to have underslung tank fitted, but there wasn't enough space to fit anything but a very small tank. So Chris and Jonathan at Autogas went through the options, explained the pros and cons, then fitted the Alugas bottles.
We stayed at their site the night before, with hookup, went for a good meal at the nearby, (100 yards)newly refurbished Dog and Gun pub. On the day, we were driven into Thirsk town centre, where we barely had time for a cheese toastie before we were telephoned that the van was ready.
Excellent job, filler point securely and neatly fitted. Then given a full run through using their LPG pump how to fill, supplied with three adaptors for use in Europe and left with a full tank of LPG. All staff at Autogas really helpful, friendly and most importantly, knowledgeable.
I am not connected in any way.

RFS

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Yarm
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just on my second van but still I'm a newbie
Fully agree with recommendations for Autogas. Chris, the owner, and Jon, the engineer, are both very nice and very knowledgable people.

They know all there is to know about LPG. Have had refillable bottles and external bbq point fitted.

You won't be disappointed if you choose Autogas.

OP
OP
Rollin
Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017
Quick update.. I wasn't able to get up to Autogas in the end, and went with www.getgas.co.uk in Bristol.

The boss-guy who answers the phone comes across as a little unhelpful, but Richard the fitter is the exact opposite and answered all my newbie questions without losing patience!

£230 for a single 11kg tank with external filler, very happy with the job Richard did:

tmp_29152-20170616_113725464342029.jpg

It's great having a cold fridge and hot water at last, and the van hasn't blown up once!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations none the less.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Rollin - have you got a remote level gauge? Also, what's the orange pipe/green cap thing????

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We have our system fitted by an independant guy in Adlington nr Chorley, Lancashire he's brilliant and really reasonably priced. He does full conversions so could easily do what you're looking for I think.

OP
OP
Rollin
Apr 6, 2017
Andalucia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544 Camp
Exp
Since 2017
Whats that wire and regulator all about?
have you got a remote level gauge? Also, what's the orange pipe/green cap thing????

Nope no remote level gauge, just the thoroughly unreliable gauge on the tank shown in the pic.

Not 100% sure what the wire is, the fitter thought it was probably a remote switch that allows you to turn the gas on/off from a switch in the kitchen. Haven't tested that though, I just turn it off using the tap on the tank. The orange pipe (which was also already there) just leads into the internal pipework.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back