LPG filler point (3 Viewers)

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
I am a bit more confident going for the first fill now I have done that. Just worried that I could have had a massive leak when filling. The pressure in the calor bottle must have been quite high because it took me quite a few attempts at getting the temp filler pipe leak free before success.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I had a quick look into the possible delivery pressure of some lpg dispensers when we were discussing the need to close the outlets before filling to protect the regulator from excess pressure during the fill...
Something i usually forget in spite of advice thats its best practice to do so...
Information i managed to get from one dispenser manufacturer was that delivery pressure was commonly 100psi or 7 bar above vapour pressure...
Andy.
That's certainly possible but isn't needed other than to speed up delivery. In fact the non-return valves open and transfer of liquid in the pump hose audibly occurs before the pump starts.

Rusty Pumper

Free Member
Mar 10, 2017
Funster No
Hi Minxy Girl,

Here is a link on YouTube to a great couple in their Hymer fitting one of the smaller fittings:

Hope it's helpful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Not sure what my “misconception” is. If the pumped liquid pressure did not exceed the gas pressure in the cylinder then nothing would flow in that direction, at least it didn’t when I last studied physics 50 years ago. Whenever I have filled up the process has been reasonably quick suggesting a significant pressure differential between pump and cylinder, very much in keeping with @andy63 ’s 100 psi above vapour pressure.

Yes, now I think about it again I can see how the gas vapour from the cylinder would flow throughout your system and I am glad you have been able to check it out. Propane at 16*c is shown as having a 92 psi pressure so this is reasonable test. With @andy63 ’s explanation the pressure in the inlet pipe could be double this, when I first filled my system I did find I had to tighten one joint a bit more to get a good seal
I was simply pointing out that the pump has little or nothing to overcome. If the pressure at its inlet is the same as that at the outlet the pump then it shifts liquid with no necessary pressure differential. There is hose friction and lightly sprung valves in the way and a higher delivery pressure might be desirable to speed things up. But it isn't needed to shift liquid. An analogy: you might use a hand pump to shift water from one container to another. The inlet and outlet of the pump are both at 14.5psi. You don't need the pump to develop 14.5psi to push water out.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
That's certainly possible but isn't needed other than to speed up delivery. In fact the non-return valves open and transfer of liquid in the pump hose audibly occurs before the pump starts.
Why would the liquid lpg move from one tank to another if it wasn’t pumped the pressure of both vessels being the same?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I decided to do my own research about lpg pumps and it entirely supports what @andy63 was saying. One manufacturer claimed their Autogas pumps could operate at a differential pressure of up to 175 psi. I don’t claim to understand the full technicalities of the pumping process but I think the high pressures are needed because as the lpg is transferred the pressure drops on the side the liquid is flowing from and increases on the side it is flowing to. Seems to make sense and perhaps one of the reasons for shutting off the supply to the regulator.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Why would the liquid lpg move from one tank to another if it wasn’t pumped the pressure of both vessels being the same?
No idea - but it certainly does. I could guess that maybe temperature differential possibly or the empty space filling between pump handle valve and tank inlet non-return valve creates a surge.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I'm keeping this thread noted, gotta fir gas in a couple of weeks time (y)

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
Filled up about a month ago and went away for 3 nights. All seems well and found filling easy. My only comment would be that the gauge is showing about 3/4 full and there is no way I have used that much. I cannot smell any leaks and i have a very good sense of smell. I am hoping the gauge on these cylinders are not very good. I will find out on my next fill up. If it only takes a couple of quid i know its the gauge playing up.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The gauges aren't that accurate unfortunately. One thing to be aware of though it that not everyone can actually smell gas apparently. I can sniff even the most miniscule whiff 20 ft away, hubby would have to have his snoze stuck up the pipe to do the same! :D

Alex Black

Free Member
Dec 20, 2016
Fife scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built. Knaus.
Exp
Scince 2010
But you still need the screw-in bayonet which is a pain and a potential leak point.

The whole idea of the screw in brass adapters is to allow easy use of your system for the different Euro countries you visit. If you are staying UK side then just fit the flush type with the bayonet UK type filler fitted. Pull up, connect up without opening any hatches and fill up. Simple and completely safe.

You should not experience any leakage with the screw in adapters as they are very accurately CNC machined items, (Well mine are) and fitted with rubber O rings, so no leaks unless the rubber O ring is damaged. A 2 pence replacement. The adapter should take no more than around 5 -10 seconds to fit & they require only hand tightening enough to compress the O ring.

In over 4 years now I have not experienced any leakage OR required to change an O ring, which I Inspect and check every time I use one of my adapters to fill up. A very simple and effective system which we have used European wide completely trouble free.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back