LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Cool. Vanbitz have said they will only fit an internal filler for me. Which isn't ideal, but if I can change it to a location on the bumper as you suggest at a later date without too much trouble I might go with the internal filler at this point and think about moving it out later. It would save drilling a dirty big hole in the side of the van!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Cool. Vanbitz have said they will only fit an internal filler for me. Which isn't ideal, but if I can change it to a location on the bumper as you suggest at a later date without too much trouble I might go with the internal filler at this point and think about moving it out later. It would save drilling a dirty big hole in the side of the van!
Are they fitting bottles or an underslung tank?

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Bottle. I think it is because they are worried / concerned Globecar might have wiring somewhere between the PVC skin and the insulation and don't want to risk cutting it with the holesaw. I don't think It is likely, but if I can change the an internal filler to a bumper mount with no real problem I might get it fitted internally at the moment and look to move it later

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume you don't want to fit the kit yourself? Its quite simple really ...

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I could... I suppose, I'd still possibly need / want to get a safety check once fitted,
There's no need unless you want to for your own peace of mind, its no different to putting on a new gas bottle hose. Shame you don't live near me as I'd do it for you.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
IMG_0038.JPG
@Minxy Girl

Sounds like a good plan. Here's a photo of how I did our last van. Very similar to your plan, but I used the smaller filler point and it was in the opposite side as that's where the tanks were on our van. I'm not sure there will be enough space behind the trim to fit the bigger integral filler you have though.

A bit fiddly but very neat and easily removable later by replacing the bumper corner
View attachment 140792
How did the bumper corner come off?
I had a good look at it this morning and it would seem to be the best way to install a flush external filler as suggested and pass the filling hose up through the gas locker vent hole. I've taken out 3 torx screws (2 inside door and 1 under the rear bumper.) It looks like the rubber stopper is fixed with one hex bolt. Are there any other fixings which need undone?

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I didn't need to remove it. If you look from underneath you can see a void between the metalwork and the bumper. The std small filler point with a 90degree adapter will fit fit once you drill a hole from the outside. The pipe can then go underneath the van and up into the locker. I drilled a new hole and used a protective collar ( from autogas 2000), but you could use one of the drop vents if you prefer.

Btw. I had to remove the reversing beeper on my van as it's housed exactly where the fill point goes but suspect you'll be OK in the nearside .

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
I didn't need to remove it. If you look from underneath you can see a void between the metalwork and the bumper. The std small filler point with a 90degree adapter will fit fit once you drill a hole from the outside. The pipe can then go underneath the van and up into the locker. I drilled a new hole and used a protective collar ( from autogas 2000), but you could use one of the drop vents if you prefer.

Btw. I had to remove the reversing beeper on my van as it's housed exactly where the fill point goes but suspect you'll be OK in the nearside .
How does the adapter fix to the bumper? Is it simply self tapped screwed into the plastic from the outside? I thought it would have been through bolted onto a backing plate on the inside to give it more rigidity.

Is it solid enough?

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Ah, I had a look at the gas it fitting and it seems to have a backing plate. I had a look and I can get enough of a hand in behind the corner bumper piece to get a hand and backing plate into.(y)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Ah, I had a look at the gas it fitting and it seems to have a backing plate. I had a look and I can get enough of a hand in behind the corner bumper piece to get a hand and backing plate into.(y)

Yes, that's how I fitted it. It's reasonably well supported but if you use the bayonet fitting and put the full weight of a filler gun on then it will flex a bit, but the plastic just springs back into place afterwards. I used mine for 5 years with no problem.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
After doing the 'hokey-cokey' yesterday with the ruddy weather I managed to get the external filler fitted today and all the pipework connected back up, just got to do a leak test then jobs finished. I'll take some photos when I get the chance so you can see where I've put it as it's gone in a different place to where I'd originally planned!

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Mel you very much remind me of my sister Olwyn she's not afraid of tackling anything, she has electric drill powersaw etc and does everything herself as her husband is completely useless at DIY.

John.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
When I went to install my filler I'd forgotten that the rear corner bit is slightly different to the above (can't see the rear without moving it out as it's bottom is 'tucked in' between fencing on 3 sides!!), unfortunately my van doesn't have the small square reflector bit as in the above picture but instead has a much larger reflector in a combined unit with the rear hazard/fog light. :rolleyes: Whilst I could have fitted it above this I decided it was a no-no as I've come across filler nozzles in the past with large 'dish' type shields on so it could be difficult to use one of these due to the large jutting rubber bump stop above so decided to put it at the bottom instead which is very solid so will easily hold the weight of the nozzle when attached.

Below are photos of what I've done ... nos 1 and 2 show the location at the base of the nearside rear corner 'bumper', no 3 shows where I had to drill a hole through the bottom of the metal protection plate located under the large drop vents in the base of the locker, and nos 4 and 5 show the rear of the filler.

As you can see I have put a piece of wide bore hosepipe round the stainless steel filler pipe to give it protection from the weather, scuffing/rubbing etc.

Some words of advice for those fitting one of these types of fillers:
  • Push the nuts into the plastic back plate housing before you start ... I found out the hard way that they are extremely difficult to get in so you might need to tap them home with a hammer ... as I'd already got my gas piping all connected up and was just sorting out the holes for the nuts and bolts to hold the filler in place I didn't want to dismantle it all to put the nuts in so had to mess about 'squeezing' them in with a pair of pliers ... not the easiest thing to do underneath a camper!
  • Before you drill any holes etc temporarily connect the pipe to the back of the filler and offer it up to the rear of the location you want to put it so that you are sure you can definitely fit it there as the pipes are not very flexible and there may be obstacles in the way to stop you getting a tight fit when the nuts and bolts are put on to hold it in place.(y)
  • Remember to put the black plastic housing plate over the pipe (the right way!) before connecting to the filler ... I did remember but it would be very easy to forget! :D2
  • You need to be able to get a spanner on the back of the filler once you've fitted it to make it tight (you may be able to feed the pipe out through the hole for the filler and tighten it up first then slot it back through if you're lucky ... not an option for me though) - I managed it but it wasn't the easiest thing to do especially with my gammy hands!:unsure:
As for the bits of kit I bought, namely the external square flat filler, screw-on bayonet and plastic housing/cover, the only thing I'm disappointed about is that the cover front of the housing has already split along the hinge part and it isn't attached to the back plate now so I'll have to sort out a way to keep it attached ... very bad design and could have done to be a bit thicker plastic at this point especially since it's not even been used in anger yet!

gas filler 1.JPG
gas filler 2.JPG
gas filler 3.JPG
gas filler 4.JPG
gas filler 5.JPG

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Nice neat job Mel, if it was mine I would put some heat shrink over the joint to keep the muck out

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hope that's a Gas safe tie wrap for the connection :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Cue tell em what it's doing :doh:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hope that's a Gas safe tie wrap for the connection :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Cue tell em what it's doing :doh:

Er .... I did ....:D

As you can see I have put a piece of wide bore hosepipe round the stainless steel filler pipe to give it protection from the weather, scuffing/rubbing etc.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
When I went to install my filler I'd forgotten that the rear corner bit is slightly different to the above (can't see the rear without moving it out as it's bottom is 'tucked in' between fencing on 3 sides!!), unfortunately my van doesn't have the small square reflector bit as in the above picture but instead has a much larger reflector in a combined unit with the rear hazard/fog light. :rolleyes: Whilst I could have fitted it above this I decided it was a no-no as I've come across filler nozzles in the past with large 'dish' type shields on so it could be difficult to use one of these due to the large jutting rubber bump stop above so decided to put it at the bottom instead which is very solid so will easily hold the weight of the nozzle when attached.

Below are photos of what I've done ... nos 1 and 2 show the location at the base of the nearside rear corner 'bumper', no 3 shows where I had to drill a hole through the bottom of the metal protection plate located under the large drop vents in the base of the locker, and nos 4 and 5 show the rear of the filler.

Some words of advice for those fitting one of these types of fillers:
  • Push the nuts into the plastic back plate housing before you start ... I found out the hard way that they are extremely difficult to get in so you might need to tap them home with a hammer ... as I'd already got my gas piping all connected up and was just sorting out the holes for the nuts and bolts to hold the filler in place I didn't want to dismantle it all to put the nuts in so had to mess about 'squeezing' them in with a pair of pliers ... not the easiest thing to do underneath a camper!
  • Before you drill any holes etc temporarily connect the pipe to the back of the filler and offer it up to the rear of the location you want to put it so that you are sure you can definitely fit it there as the pipes are not very flexible and there may be obstacles in the way to stop you getting a tight fit when the nuts and bolts are put on to hold it in place.(y)
  • Remember to put the black plastic housing plate over the pipe (the right way!) before connecting to the filler ... I did remember but it would be very easy to forget! :D2
  • You need to be able to get a spanner on the back of the filler once you've fitted it to make it tight (you may be able to feed the pipe out through the hole for the filler and tighten it up first then slot it back through if you're lucky ... not an option for me though) - I managed it but it wasn't the easiest thing to do especially with my gammy hands!:unsure:
As for the bits of kit I bought, namely the external square flat filler, screw-on bayonet and plastic housing/cover, the only thing I'm disappointed about is that the cover front of the housing has already split along the hinge part and it isn't attached to the back plate now so I'll have to sort out a way to keep it attached ... very bad design and could have done to be a bit thicker plastic at this point especially since it's not even been used in anger yet!

View attachment 150407 View attachment 150408 View attachment 150409 View attachment 150410 View attachment 150411
Hi Mel

Just wondering how you are getting on with your external gas filler point?

I need to get a refillable bottle installed in our PVC and was, at this stage, going for a single 11kg set up, and perhaps keep a Calor lite as a back-up, 'just in case' - but shouldn't really be necessary to use it.

But my big dilemma at the moment is whether to have an external filler - which is what I really want. And hence, where to locate it. I like yours and others idea of having them in the rear bumper upstand, or at the bottom of it - as yours - so there is no need to drill holes in the side of the van bodywork.

We have just the small square reflectors on the back of the van, as per gerry mcg's van illustrated above. And quite like the position of his inlet too, if I could get ours like that.

These threads have been extremely informative and helpful.

So how's it working out with yours? Did you manage to sort anything out regarding the flimsy broken cover?

Thanks, Mike

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Here's where ours is fitted. It gives access directly into the locker. Neat and convenient. No grovelling under skirts (wahey! :whatthe:) and fits in the curve of the locker door.
2018-02-05 16.34.11.jpg

Wyn

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi Mel

Just wondering how you are getting on with your external gas filler point?

I need to get a refillable bottle installed in our PVC and was, at this stage, going for a single 11kg set up, and perhaps keep a Calor lite as a back-up, 'just in case' - but shouldn't really be necessary to use it.

But my big dilemma at the moment is whether to have an external filler - which is what I really want. And hence, where to locate it. I like yours and others idea of having them in the rear bumper upstand, or at the bottom of it - as yours - so there is no need to drill holes in the side of the van bodywork.

We have just the small square reflectors on the back of the van, as per gerry mcg's van illustrated above. And quite like the position of his inlet too, if I could get ours like that.

These threads have been extremely informative and helpful.

So how's it working out with yours? Did you manage to sort anything out regarding the flimsy broken cover?

Thanks, Mike
To be honest whilst I had every intention of sorting out the flap I've never bothered ... it has never decided to make a bid for freedom anyway, probably because when driving it's not affected as its protected from the buffeting etc behind the vehicle.

I was looking to put mine higher up but it would have been such a faff to do it as I'd have had to dismantle loads of stuff to fit it above the light, also it'd have meant getting a longer hose than I already had, so I just put it where it would reach without a problem ... and where I could get my hand and spanner to for the rear nuts!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
To be honest whilst I had every intention of sorting out the flap I've never bothered ... it has never decided to make a bid for freedom anyway, probably because when driving it's not affected as its protected from the buffeting etc behind the vehicle.

I was looking to put mine higher up but it would have been such a faff to do it as I'd have had to dismantle loads of stuff to fit it above the light, also it'd have meant getting a longer hose than I already had, so I just put it where it would reach without a problem ... and where I could get my hand and spanner to for the rear nuts!
Thanks Mel! Will see if I can get ours fitted a bit higher, though it sounds somewhat fiddly - but probably worth it in the long run.

Appreciate the feedback! (y)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I use the flush type on PVC campers and generally fit it into the upstand section of the rear bumper. The other type you show is designed for fitting to either a towbar or the side will next to a step.

D.
Do you take the bumper upstand off to fit the filler point Dave, or can it be done with the upstand still attached to the vehicle?

Thanks, Mike

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Do you take the bumper upstand off to fit the filler point Dave, or can it be done with the upstand still attached to the vehicle?

Thanks, Mike
I'm guessing if you have the rear corner bumper/upstand with the reflector in it then it should be possible to do it with it in situ, but if you have the type we have with the large light at the bottom the only way to realistically do it would be to remove it as you can't get past the light unit ... not if you want any knuckles left that is! Its the tightening of the nuts on the inside that is the difficult - even though you could attach the hose to the fitting and feed it in through the hole you can't tighten the nuts on the inside easily.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I'm guessing if you have the rear corner bumper/upstand with the reflector in it then it should be possible to do it with it in situ, but if you have the type we have with the large light at the bottom the only way to realistically do it would be to remove it as you can't get past the light unit ... not if you want any knuckles left that is! Its the tightening of the nuts on the inside that is the difficult - even though you could attach the hose to the fitting and feed it in through the hole you can't tighten the nuts on the inside easily.
Ours hasn't got the light unit like yours, just the standard small square reflector in the upstand.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
@mikebeaches I fitted mine higher on our Campscout without removing the bumper corner, but got quite a few scratches on my hand and arm.

If I was doing the job again I would fit a backing plate to give a bit more support behind the plastic bumper.

John.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
@mikebeaches I fitted mine higher on our Campscout without removing the bumper corner, but got quite a few scratches on my hand and arm.

If I was doing the job again I would fit a backing plate to give a bit more support behind the plastic bumper.

John.
Useful advice - thanks!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

John.
That's one thing that I've just remembered! By putting mine in the base of the corner upright it's mounted in a very strong part of the 'plastic' and doesn't move at all when the gun is attached.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

Thanks, Mike

Ive Not Needed To Remove A Bumper Yet To Fit The Filler Point.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back