Looking for ideas for a rear U-shaped lounge Motorhome, <6.4m long (1 Viewer)

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We're looking for ideas for our next upgrade, and also hoping that this thread will act as a resource for anybody else looking for a similar style of Motorhome.

We're currently driving a 1993 Autosleepers Talisman (~5.4m long), which is our third motorhome, and the one that we've kept the longest of the three. Our first, bought in around 2003, was a 1987 Holdsworth panel van conversion, and since then we've gradually upgraded to slightly newer and larger vans as the years went by, but always sticking to minor variations of the same twin dinette / twin sofa convertible layout that our initial homework told us would work for us, right from the start. (Obviously, the homework paid off, as contrary to all the warnings and advice we read before we bought the first one, we DID get it right first time.)

As we've upgraded, we've moved away from using (and needing) driveaway awnings, etc. (in fact, that was specifically our reason for switching from our second panel van to a coachbuilt, inspired by a couple we met on a campsite one year), and towards being able to arrive, set up camp, and be ready to go out again with minimal fuss. We do use a "toilet tent" as an onsite shed if we take the folding bike and/or large reclining chairs away with us, and we have a wind-out awning with lightweight side panels, which we use if we're staying put for the day and the weather is right. But that's it.

We like many aspects of the inside space in the Talisman - we like the versatility of table positioning and clever tabletop and leg storage; both of us like lounging with our feet up on the twin bench "sofas", and we prefer single beds, rather than climbing over each other at night. It has drawers/cabinets/worktop space at the bedheads for our night time bits and bobs. There's also a decent wardrobe.

However, the mechanics of the base van are starting to show their age, and as we're not particularly mechanically minded (and not enthusiastic about tinkering), we'd like to upgrade again.

One of the downsides of the Talisman is that having the driver and passenger seats as part of the single beds means that making / unmaking of the beds is a slightly long-winded process (even though I've got it down to a fine art), whereby 'im indoors takes the dog for a short walk to give me some space while I swivel chairs and throw seat and backrest cushions around to reconfigure the interior, and optionally fold and store / retrieve and unfold a dog crate (used for travelling), depending on what we're planning to do/have been doing for the day. It's particularly inconvenient if we want to drive anywhere in the evening (or stop off on our way back from a day out), e.g. to go out to eat, and come home feeling ready to just drop into bed, rather than wanting to embark on a minor engineering exercise.

So I'm ready for a slightly easier Motorhoming life. We're finding that we use the dinette layout less and less often, and having done the rounds of some of the Motorhome Shows over the summer, have come to the conclusion that the layout that would suit us better now is a rear U-shaped lounge. That gives us the ability to have two single beds that we can leave made up when we want to, even if we're driving, or to use as sofas for feet-up lounging (we'd probably improvise some sort of bedside table / coffee table / small storage unit / folding dog crate fixings for the bottom bar of the "U"). For us, it would be the next step on the "minimal fuss" path. And having externally accessible storage for the outdoor stuff (whether in a garage or on a bike rack) would add to that.

Unlike even a twin bench + rear kitchen layout that doesn't include the front seats as part of the beds, a rear lounge gives us somewhere to put a dog crate (in the lounge) and still be able to access the rest of the 'van, including the front seats without having to climb over it / squeeze past it. Also, rear lounge models typically have a (small) "garage" under the rear lounge seat, for outside chairs, ramps, hoses, cables, a folding bike, etc. (all things that currently have to travel inside the washroom or other cubbyholes in the Talisman, and mostly need an onsite "shed" when we arrive at our destination); and, of course, the views from the lounge windows are a big attraction, as is being able to see out of the rear window when driving.

Unfortunately, things are complicated by the fact that we have a hard limit of 6.4m in length - the distance from the front wall of the house to the footpath - and even that includes the downpipe from the guttering! And sadly, we don't have unlimited funds :cry:.

From the mechanical reliability / newness point of view, we'd be looking at something from 2000 or later (2002 would be even better, as we're close enough to London to potentially sometimes want to camp inside the M25 Low Emission Zone limit). But we won't be able to afford anything much newer than that. The ones I've seen so far would already be above what we'd ideally like to pay, so it seems we'll just have to stretch the budget to get what we want.

There's just the two of us (plus dog), so we only need 2 seatbelts and sleeping space for 2.

We like the Autosleeper monocoques and the tank-like build reputation of the Hymers as being designs that don't tend to have many weak points in seams for damp to get in. And with apologies to members who have them, I'm absolutely not a fan of the bulbous over-cab bump designs. We don't need the overcab height, or the increased wind resistance, and I'm afraid I find them horribly ugly.

Possibilities so far

I like the look of the Hymer B534, approx 6m (I've seen a RHD one advertised, but it had been sold before we could view it, so haven't confirmed the dimensions of the interior, and particularly the lounge seats). The garage access looks impressive. The drop down bed over the cab - and the fact that it drops down much lower than most overcab beds - is appealing. We probably wouldn't use it much, except to store bedding, but options are always good.

The pre-2006(ish) low profile Autocruise StarSpirit (6.15m) looks like another option. A local dealer currently has one in stock, so I'm planning to have a look today. (Newer models are longer.) On the downside, external storage access looks frankly pathetic - not much chance of getting a folding bike in that way!

Somebody elsewhere suggested the Bessacar E465 (6.1m), but I haven't been able to find any low-profile variants, and the corner seams on the roof always feel like a weak point for water ingress to me, which would make me wary of these, even if there were any low profile ones around.

Models that won't work for us (but might for others)

The Autosleepers Rienza that we saw at the Romsey show looked promising ... until I discovered that it's 6.8m long, so won't fit on the drive.

The Autosleepers Ascot at 6.4m is pushing the length right to the limit, and the lounge appears to be J-shaped, rather than U-shaped, so I doubt the shorter leg would be long enough to use as a bed, even for me. (It has a slightly larger kitchen, which takes up the space.)

The Autocruise StarDream (6.65m) is too long to fit on the drive.

The Swift Lifestyle 622 or Escape 622 (6.3m) would be possibilities, but they seem to be too recent for our budget to reach.

Any other ideas?

So, taking all that into account, can anybody suggest any other makes and models that meet our spec that we can search for? Unless anybody has any suggestions that meet all the requirements, I don't really want to get into a discussion about the pros and cons of rear lounges, as I'm pretty clear that that's what will work for us, although I do understand that different people like different things (or there wouldn't be other layouts to choose from).

In summary, our requirements are:
  • Coachbuilt/A-class (for the extra bit of width)
  • Absolute max 6.4m long (including any folded ladder, bike rack, back box mounting, etc.)
  • U-shaped rear lounge suitable to use as two single beds (or two sofas, or for seating at tables)
  • Approx 2000-2002 registration year (price vs likely mechanical reliability trade-off)
  • No overcab bulge
  • Right Hand Drive (we do all our camping in the UK)
If anybody has any ideas, we'd love to hear them.

Thanks
Julie
:dogthanks:

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Must congratulate you on your research and your very clear specification. At the end of the day though it all comes down to personal choice and no matterr what anyone else suggests, they cannot possibly take into account the personal preferences and little peculiarities that someone else might value or absolutley hate. I think it will all fall to you to decide but, with such clear views, I am sure you will get it right again. Enjoy the search.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
For a sub 6 metre van with U shaped lounge, the Hymer 534 will take some beating. Both sides of the U are long enough for 2 people to lounge on with good all round viability. The rear trunk is a good size with ample room for storage. One of my favourite sub 6 metre vans.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just a thought, but the Hymer with the blue stripes is regarded as the best build years.

Zippy4522

Free Member
Sep 24, 2012
eastwood
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
We have an Autotrail Cheyenne which has a large rear lounge which we have made into a permanent bed with mattress. Saves making the bed up every night. We still have the dinnette where we can sit on chilly evenings.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Same process providing you have the certificate of conformity, no UK VAT to pay if over 6 month old or 6000km but you still have to get a Nova reference from HMRC.
If it is an old van without a C of C you have to have a IVA inspection.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have a compass avantgard, 150, everything we need ,light and airy, short, we spend 4 or five nights at a time without the need for hookup or emptying, in practice we leave the u shaped lounge set up as a double bed, and then use it as a large sofa, in the day.
And I think you will find you can get a newer version of these than the ones you are looking at.

OP
OP
juwlz

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
For a sub 6 metre van with U shaped lounge, the Hymer 534 will take some beating. Both sides of the U are long enough for 2 people to lounge on with good all round viability. The rear trunk is a good size with ample room for storage. One of my favourite sub 6 metre vans.
Thanks for the confirmation that it would work as two single beds. At least I know I'm not wasting my time looking for one. I definitely like the garage space in them - it's big enough to actually be useful. On the downside, the lack of grill/oven in them (or the poor positioning of many after-market ones I've seen) would be a consideration. But that's something there are a number of solutions for.

Must congratulate you on your research and your very clear specification. At the end of the day though it all comes down to personal choice and no matter what anyone else suggests, they cannot possibly take into account the personal preferences and little peculiarities that someone else might value or absolutely hate. I think it will all fall to you to decide but, with such clear views, I am sure you will get it right again. Enjoy the search.
Thank you. And yes I agree, it will all be personal choice. But, I've been looking for 4 or 5 months now, and have only seen one (yes, ONE) B534 for sale that's even close to our price range, so I'm beginning to think that we either have to be VERY patient, or broaden our options. BTW, here's the page I found on Hymer layouts and how I discovered the B534.

I'm looking for ideas, not necessarily recommendations. Every idea tends to send me off down a rabbit hole of other things to consider (which is good - I found the Ascot and the StarSpirit by searching for something else entirely). Even the "similar" threads links after I started this thread have opened up some other possibilities to consider which I will do, and post back here for completeness.

Although you said RHD don't dissmiss LHD, being high up in a Motorhome they just as easy to drive in the UK.

A good selection Broken Link Removed
Thanks for the link, but I don't think we're keen enough to want to import one.

As to LHD, the only Hymers I've actually been inside so far have been LHD, and it's not the steering wheel being on the left, per se, that bothers me so much - you're right that the high position makes that much less of an issue that it would be in a car; it's the associated "other" stuff related to LHDs being aimed at the European rather than British market that's the issue, combined with the fact that (other than simple availability), as we're UK-only campers, the things that would be benefits to those who regularly travel abroad wouldn't be of any use to us.

e.g. There's a very good chance that electrical sockets in a LHD will be European (not insurmountable, but annoying), and the speedo and clock will be in km rather than miles. Although I handle small distances readily in metres, for long distances I still think in miles, and I feel vaguely uncomfortable about the dash being in km.

More importantly, in the only Hymer driving seat that I've sat in so far (a LHD B584 of a similar age to what we're looking for), the positioning of the pedals relative to the driver's seat felt odd - I felt as though I'd be permanently twisted driving it, and that's not good with a back like mine. It probably wouldn't be an issue if we had cruise control, but I doubt anything in our price range would have that.

NB: the B584 was an early foray into the world of Hymers. Having thought through layout more since then, the B584 won't suit us, but it did open our eyes to the possibility of an A-class - something we'd never even considered before, as we'd always thought of them as being huge monsters that would never fit on our drive. However, it was the sheer feeling of space in an ancient and tatty B584 that we looked at totally out of pure idle curiosity at a show early this summer that started me down the thought process of Hymer-as-a-possibility. Having realised that there ARE some models short enough to work for us, I went to have a good look at a slightly younger one that was for sale in our area a while later before I started thinking harder about what we need and investigating alternative layouts.

OP
OP
juwlz

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have an Autotrail Cheyenne which has a large rear lounge which we have made into a permanent bed with mattress. Saves making the bed up every night. We still have the dinnette where we can sit on chilly evenings.
I can't believe that anything that has both a rear lounge AND a dinette can possibly be squeezed into a vehicle less than 6.4m long. And we want single beds, not a double, so leaving it made up all the time doesn't really appeal. We just want making up the beds to be as simple as throwing sleeping bags and pillows onto something that was doing service as two sofas (which we do want during the day) 2 minutes ago.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The 534 is a very popular model in Europe because of its compact size and usability. Good ones are difficult to find because many have been well used with high miles. I have never seen a RHD 534 and as far as am aware they never made one. The alternative Hymer with the same layout to the 534 is built on the Merc chassis and is the 550.

OP
OP
juwlz

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have a compass avantgard, 150, everything we need ,light and airy, short, we spend 4 or five nights at a time without the need for hookup or emptying, in practice we leave the u shaped lounge set up as a double bed, and then use it as a large sofa, in the day.
And I think you will find you can get a newer version of these than the ones you are looking at.
Having just searched for Compass Avantgarde, it seems there are numerous layouts with that name. Do you know what model number(s) have a rear lounge? And whether there are any older low profile ones with rear lounge? (The low profile ones I found with a quick search were very recent (i.e. beyond our budget), and either fixed bed or rear kitchen.)

OP
OP
juwlz

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
The 534 is a very popular model in Europe because of its compact size and usability. Good ones are difficult to find because many have been well used with high miles. I have never seen a RHD 534 and as far as am aware they never made one. The alternative Hymer with the same layout to the 534 is built on the Merc chassis and is the 550.
Thanks - "difficult to find" does pretty much cover it! But I HAVE seen a RHD one advertised - I just didn't get to even view it before it got sold.

Other threads also suggest the B634 is a possibility, although from what I can find, it may be too new, and quoted length varies!

I'll keep an eye out for the 550 (also referred to as 550 Star Line) though. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
juwlz

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks, but at 6.92m long, the Adria Coral is WAY too long for us.

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/613801507/2006-swift-carrera-590pr-motorhome-for-sale.html?link=/adverts/list/3532/camper-vans.html?keyword=4+berth+motorhome+rear+lounge&page=2
... and at 6.4m long, the Swift Carrera 590PR means we'd have to park touching the front wall of the house.

The Carrera at least does suggest there's some hope of alternatives within our maximum length though, and that price on a 2006 does look promising for anything 3 or 4 years older.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What is your maximum budget? It's difficult to recommend without knowing how much there is in the piggy bank! :)

OP
OP
juwlz

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
As per the original post, the budget may have to be driven by what we can find, but £20k is the ballpark figure. Or at least, we're unlikely to find what we want for less than that!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Having just searched for Compass Avantgarde, it seems there are numerous layouts with that name. Do you know what model number(s) have a rear lounge? And whether there are any older low profile ones with rear lounge? (The low profile ones I found with a quick search were very recent (i.e. beyond our budget), and either fixed bed or rear kitchen.)
This is the same as the one we have, ours is 07 and 18 grand when we bought it three years ago
Link Removed

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Thanks for the confirmation that it would work as two single beds. At least I know I'm not wasting my time looking for one. I definitely like the garage space in them - it's big enough to actually be useful. On the downside, the lack of grill/oven in them (or the poor positioning of many after-market ones I've seen) would be a consideration. But that's something there are a number of solutions for.
Is the rear lounge big enough for two singles ? B534 has a small u as opposed to large U in longer models.
I suspect the sides are good for lounging but would make very short beds !

OP
OP
juwlz

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Is the rear lounge big enough for two singles ? B534 has a small u as opposed to large U in longer models.
I suspect the sides are good for lounging but would make very short beds !
The VERY old ones do appear to have shorter side seats, but the photos I've seen of B534s of the sort of age we're looking at certainly make them look long enough - although I do now see that the original reply said they were plenty long enough for lounging, rather than for sleeping.

There's a P-reg (1996) example here (from the ever-useful Southdowns Motorhomes archives - no longer for sale) where the legs certainly LOOK long enough to sleep on. I've seen photos of much older ones where the side seats certainly don't look that long.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Don't forget to look at the possibility of the Hymer type drop down bed over the cab area..
They are an excellent use of space and keep the van length down...
Mitch.

OP
OP
juwlz

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Don't forget to look at the possibility of the Hymer type drop down bed over the cab area..
They are an excellent use of space and keep the van length down...
Mitch.
Yes, as per the original post, I like the idea of those - as an extra option. But we're looking for something with two separate beds, not a double, so at best it would only be an alternative bed location for us.

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Great thread thank you as looking for similar but im stuck on a merc s550, the b534's were an option i hadnt considered (dont panic im happy with lhd). Thank you snowbird (again!) et al!

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Pity about the length. We hopefully picking up a Frankia 640 A class in the next couple of weeks. 646cms long (could you squeeze that in) with drop down electric bed that can be used as 2 singles, large lounge with plenty of room for 'lounging'. Lots of storage in the twin floor. Trouble is they're fairly scarce secondhand.

OP
OP
juwlz

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Pity about the length. We hopefully picking up a Frankia 640 A class in the next couple of weeks. 646cms long (could you squeeze that in)
Thanks, but we can't squeeze that in without knocking down the front of the house, and anyway, as far as I can see from Googling, that's a rear washroom model, not a rear lounge.

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
We bought an auto sleeper Suffolk which has u shaped lounge. We rarely make the bed up into the huge double but usually make the lounge into 2 singles. Im 5 ft 2 and just fit the smaller single. The length of the Motorhome is approx 6.5m

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back