Long term storage

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by ndjw, Feb 5, 2016.

1. ndjw

ndjw

Hi All
    I'm just in the early stages of research. We are probably moving overseas in the next year, but we want to keep some toehold in the UK. We can't really afford two homes but might be able to squeeze a motorhome into the budget. This would give us transport when we return, and a mobile base for sea kayaking around Scotland. Kayaking is important to us, and where we are going there ain't none. I've looked at long term storage at CC sites and got some reasonable quotes. My question is, will a (relatively new) MH survive for periods of up to a year unattended? Assuming the site is secure, I disconnect the battery...what do you think?
    Thanks in advance

2. parigby

parigby Read Only Funster

Just a thought - if you disconnect the battery, the alarm won't work, which is therefore likely to invalidate your insurance !

3. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

A good solar system should look after your alarm and batteries.
    However, I would not like to leave a van unattended for 12 months due to the likely hood of water ingress and the costs involved if it goes un noticed.
    Also, how will you register and insure it without a UK address?

4. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Is it not cheaper to put your kayaks and kit in self storage and hire a motorhome for your holidays?

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. ndjw

ndjw

Ha, good thought. That seems obvious now. Yesterday we were thinking about a holiday cabin. MH was this morning's brainwave. I think you've just given us our next one.

Everybody else - thanks for replies. I was thinking to insure and register it from a family address.

Cheers

6. Badknee

Badknee Funster

The highest cost for leaving a MoHo for twelve months would possibly be depreciation.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ndjw

ndjw

Although now I think about it, the problem wioll be finding a rental that can take sea kayaks - they're pretty hefty.