Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Just looking.
Exp
Newb.
Hi All
I'm just in the early stages of research. We are probably moving overseas in the next year, but we want to keep some toehold in the UK. We can't really afford two homes but might be able to squeeze a motorhome into the budget. This would give us transport when we return, and a mobile base for sea kayaking around Scotland. Kayaking is important to us, and where we are going there ain't none. I've looked at long term storage at CC sites and got some reasonable quotes. My question is, will a (relatively new) MH survive for periods of up to a year unattended? Assuming the site is secure, I disconnect the battery...what do you think?
Thanks in advance

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Just a thought - if you disconnect the battery, the alarm won't work, which is therefore likely to invalidate your insurance !

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
A good solar system should look after your alarm and batteries.
However, I would not like to leave a van unattended for 12 months due to the likely hood of water ingress and the costs involved if it goes un noticed.
Also, how will you register and insure it without a UK address?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Is it not cheaper to put your kayaks and kit in self storage and hire a motorhome for your holidays?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

ndjw

Free Member
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Just looking.
Exp
Newb.
Is it not cheaper to put your kayaks and kit in self storage and hire a motorhome for your holidays?
Ha, good thought. That seems obvious now. Yesterday we were thinking about a holiday cabin. MH was this morning's brainwave. I think you've just given us our next one.

Everybody else - thanks for replies. I was thinking to insure and register it from a family address.

Cheers

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The highest cost for leaving a MoHo for twelve months would possibly be depreciation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

ndjw

Free Member
Feb 5, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Just looking.
Exp
Newb.
Although now I think about it, the problem wioll be finding a rental that can take sea kayaks - they're pretty hefty.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back