Long-lived Tyres

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GJH, Jan 6, 2016.

1. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

When we bought the van four years ago the front tyres were replaced (but only with budget ones) but the rear tyres (Michelin Camping) were fine.

As the front tyres were starting to wear and I was not sure of the age of the rear ones (just guessed they were probably needing replacement on age grounds) I decided to have them replaced, the job being done earlier this morning.

It turned out that the rear tyres were manufactured towards the end of 2002 so must have been the original ones fitted to the van :Eeek: They passed the MoT OK on Monday but we'll feel a lot safer now :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

That should never have been done, standard tyres on one axle & M&S rated tyres on the other.
    Blimey you were pushing your luck, I would have thought you would have known better Grham.

3. jtp890

jtp890 Funster

Interested in explanation re above.
    Know we were always told not to mix xply and radial on same axle, but michelin v others on seperate axles?

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I rely on qualified people for such matters Lenny :) I admit to getting confused finding date codes on tyres :)

The Burstner manual appears to allow the mix we had and the mix had passed five MoT tests.

Anyhow, we now have Michelin Agilis Camping all round (y)

• Like Like x 2
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

and a dent in the savings account :LOL:

6. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

No real problem with that;)

7. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

I hate to see different tyres all over the place but two of one make on the front and two of another on the rear I should think is fairly common, the very important thing on a motorhome and on some cars is the load rating(y)

8. scotjimland

Other than for vintage cars, do they still make cross-ply tyres ?

haven't had them on a car since the late 60s

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

All budgeted for Jim :) When we were at the NEC show a couple of months ago we only saw one new van which came close to meeting our requirements compared to our current van and it costs about £60K. A few hundred from time to time to keep the Burstner going is more of a scratch than a dent in those terms :LOL:

• Like Like x 2
  10. scotjimland

knowing you Graham.. I never doubted it ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I don't think it is illegal (think it is with full winter tyres), but not recommended you have tyres of different grip levels also tyres that respond differently to temperature by mixing tyres of different types you increase the chance of a slide or spin in adverse conditions as one set will have plenty of grip while the other axle is struggling for grip. In Graham's case the rear tyres would probably have had better grip below 7deg and the front ones better when temps are above 7 deg, making for unpredictable handling.

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We've never noticed any unpredictable handling, Lenny (even at Peterborough in 2012 :D). Indeed, being a low line van its handling has always been better than our previous Autoquest which had a Luton and the same tyres on all 4 wheels :)

13. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Obviously not driving like a boy racer in the wet & snow, need to put yer foot down.:ROFLMAO:

Seriously though only likely to cause problems on ice & snow when you most need every bit of available grip, or in current weather condition with risk of aquaplaning.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Jill does the driving, I'm too lazy :LOL: We don't do boy (or girl) racer :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  15. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

how-to-choose-motorcycle-tires-11.jpg untitled (7).png

The manufacture date is usually a 4 digit code on its own, week followed by year, more confusing when like these examples it could be read either way (y)

• Like Like x 1
  16. PeteH

PeteH Funster

I don`t think it makes any difference as to the Manufacturer, as long as the specification is similar ie Camping front and rear, and (possibly) all "summer" or all `winter" rated and equal tread depth. I would hazard a guess that an inspection of MOST dealer (S-H) lots would produce a rare mix and match!!. Even MOT testers don`t take too much notice beyond the tread depth and damage.

BTW, In `97 I imported an R-V, which had tyres as old as 1983, (Year of manufacture). When they took them off the tyre fitter reckoned they where still good for several years!!.

Pete