LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we bought the van four years ago the front tyres were replaced (but only with budget ones) but the rear tyres (Michelin Camping) were fine.

As the front tyres were starting to wear and I was not sure of the age of the rear ones (just guessed they were probably needing replacement on age grounds) I decided to have them replaced, the job being done earlier this morning.

It turned out that the rear tyres were manufactured towards the end of 2002 so must have been the original ones fitted to the van :Eeek: They passed the MoT OK on Monday but we'll feel a lot safer now ::bigsmile:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When we bought the van four years ago the front tyres were replaced (but only with budget ones) but the rear tyres (Michelin Camping) were fine.
That should never have been done, standard tyres on one axle & M&S rated tyres on the other.
It turned out that the rear tyres were manufactured towards the end of 2002 so must have been the original ones fitted to the van :Eeek: They passed the MoT OK on Monday but we'll feel a lot safer now ::bigsmile:
Blimey you were pushing your luck, I would have thought you would have known better Grham.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Interested in explanation re above.
Know we were always told not to mix xply and radial on same axle, but michelin v others on seperate axles?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That should never have been done, standard tyres on one axle & M&S rated tyres on the other.

Blimey you were pushing your luck, I would have thought you would have known better Grham.
I rely on qualified people for such matters Lenny :) I admit to getting confused finding date codes on tyres :)

The Burstner manual appears to allow the mix we had and the mix had passed five MoT tests.

Anyhow, we now have Michelin Agilis Camping all round (y)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I hate to see different tyres all over the place but two of one make on the front and two of another on the rear I should think is fairly common, the very important thing on a motorhome and on some cars is the load rating(y)

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
and a dent in the savings account :LOL:
All budgeted for Jim :) When we were at the NEC show a couple of months ago we only saw one new van which came close to meeting our requirements compared to our current van and it costs about £60K. A few hundred from time to time to keep the Burstner going is more of a scratch than a dent in those terms :LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Interested in explanation re above.
Know we were always told not to mix xply and radial on same axle, but michelin v others on seperate axles?
I don't think it is illegal (think it is with full winter tyres), but not recommended you have tyres of different grip levels also tyres that respond differently to temperature by mixing tyres of different types you increase the chance of a slide or spin in adverse conditions as one set will have plenty of grip while the other axle is struggling for grip. In Graham's case the rear tyres would probably have had better grip below 7deg and the front ones better when temps are above 7 deg, making for unpredictable handling.

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't think it is illegal (think it is with full winter tyres), but not recommended you have tyres of different grip levels also tyres that respond differently to temperature by mixing tyres of different types you increase the chance of a slide or spin in adverse conditions as one set will have plenty of grip while the other axle is struggling for grip. In Graham's case the rear tyres would probably have had better grip below 7deg and the front ones better when temps are above 7 deg, making for unpredictable handling.
We've never noticed any unpredictable handling, Lenny (even at Peterborough in 2012 :D). Indeed, being a low line van its handling has always been better than our previous Autoquest which had a Luton and the same tyres on all 4 wheels :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We've never noticed any unpredictable handling, Lenny (even at Peterborough in 2012 :D). Indeed, being a low line van its handling has always been better than our previous Autoquest which had a Luton and the same tyres on all 4 wheels :)
Obviously not driving like a boy racer in the wet & snow, need to put yer foot down.:ROFLMAO:

Seriously though only likely to cause problems on ice & snow when you most need every bit of available grip, or in current weather condition with risk of aquaplaning.

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Obviously not driving like a boy racer in the wet & snow, need to put yer foot down.:ROFLMAO:

Seriously though only likely to cause problems on ice & snow when you most need every bit of available grip, or in current weather condition with risk of aquaplaning.
Jill does the driving, I'm too lazy :LOL: We don't do boy (or girl) racer :LOL:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I rely on qualified people for such matters Lenny :) I admit to getting confused finding date codes on tyres :)

The Burstner manual appears to allow the mix we had and the mix had passed five MoT tests.

Anyhow, we now have Michelin Agilis Camping all round (y)

how-to-choose-motorcycle-tires-11.jpg
untitled (7).png

The manufacture date is usually a 4 digit code on its own, week followed by year, more confusing when like these examples it could be read either way (y)

Reactions: GJH

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I don`t think it makes any difference as to the Manufacturer, as long as the specification is similar ie Camping front and rear, and (possibly) all "summer" or all `winter" rated and equal tread depth. I would hazard a guess that an inspection of MOST dealer (S-H) lots would produce a rare mix and match!!. Even MOT testers don`t take too much notice beyond the tread depth and damage.

BTW, In `97 I imported an R-V, which had tyres as old as 1983, (Year of manufacture). When they took them off the tyre fitter reckoned they where still good for several years!!.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back