Lock-Y-Door - Front Door Security Device Using Seat Belt Socket (1 Viewer)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Yeh still have no clue how they work and for what reason and if these can be 3D printed does anyone have a link to the file so I can print one please.

The end slot pushes into the moveable pin (preventing it from moving in the locked position). The other slot, pushes into the fixed pin. Basically, the device prevents the moving pin from moving (and thus prevents unlocking).

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
The end slot pushes into the moveable pin (preventing it from moving in the locked position). The other slot, pushes into the fixed pin. Basically, the device prevents the moving pin from moving (and thus prevents unlocking).
What are they called?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PVC's have an extra vulnerability which is "peel and steal"

Not really applicable to motorhomes. This is for when a van has a bulkhead and thousands of £'s of tools and supplies in the back.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Let's hope the thieves are thinking that way too. :wink: :giggle:
It's logical. Why would you spend time and energy, make a lot of noise. When you can just pop the locks or smash the passenger window to gain access to the load bay?

This technique is only really used when there is a solid bulkhead and deadlocks on the sliding and rear doors.

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
I’m struggling with interpreting your photo. Please can you describe how this works and what’s involved in fitting it? Thanks.
Screenshot_20220206_162407_com.ludashi.dualspace_edit_4415916435906391.jpg

Use Jack Bolts rather than Screws for Extra Security...

Screenshot_20220206_163509_com.ludashi.dualspace_edit_4416561637862543.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
For the peel attack there are two additional options.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 4, 2010
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Home and abroad since 2005
Hi. We just wrap a strap round the door handles and round the steering wheel. If an attempt is made to break in then the door tightens the strap and blows the horn. We also supplement that with a big chain with a padlock. Attempted theft at Sete in France thwarted.

Feb 27, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2008
Do pro plates need fitting to both front doors? Or is it only if door can be opened with a key?

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Do pro plates need fitting to both front doors? Or is it only if door can be opened with a key?
Superglue a Black Painted Penny on the Keyhole...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
It's not the keyhole the Pro Plate is protecting, it's the area where they punch a hole through with a screwdriver to pop the mechanism.
Realise that, exactly the same as Punching through the Keyhole with a Screwdriver and turning it the same as a Key....

Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I don't understand these?

A smashed window and a pair of bolt croppers. 2-5 seconds for an opportunistic thief looking at stealing the van contents.

Whereas a proper deadlock on the cab doors not only prevents the thief getting in, it makes the vehicle more unattractive as they can't easily resell it.
Possibly, but it's a balance of probabilities equation. Most thefts/ attempted thefts seem to be a casual, opportunistic affair, foiled by some reasonably well placed minor obstruction. Serious thieves go out tooled up for most any impediment placed in their way, which is where the more sophisticated alarms have their place 🤷‍♂️ . If they want your van, and you're in it, they ARE going to get you out of it what ever.
Mike.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Possibly, but it's a balance of probabilities equation. Most thefts/ attempted thefts seem to be a casual, opportunistic affair, foiled by some reasonably well placed minor obstruction. Serious thieves go out tooled up for most any impediment placed in their way, which is where the more sophisticated alarms have their place 🤷‍♂️ . If they want your van, and you're in it, they ARE going to get you out of it what ever.
Mike.
I stand by my opinion. If a smashed window is all that is standing in the way then it is zero security. A deadlock is an absolute minimum for me. They will see that and know that if nothing is in easy reach there is no point smashing the window.
They will not be able to smash the window and unlock the door. They most certainly won't want to climb in as making a rapid exit would be impossible. So, a deadlock is a visual as well as practical deterrent for the opportunistic thief.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
I stand by my opinion. If a smashed window is all that is standing in the way then it is zero security. A deadlock is an absolute minimum for me. They will see that and know that if nothing is in easy reach there is no point smashing the window.
They will not be able to smash the window and unlock the door. They most certainly won't want to climb in as making a rapid exit would be impossible. So, a deadlock is a visual as well as practical deterrent for the opportunistic thief.
I have at least 5 different physical deterrents I can put in place. If I was leaving the van somewhere, or it's on the driveway, everyone of those would be in use, along with immobiliser and alarm. If I'm in the van, and on site/Aire, much less would be in place, again it's probabilities. If it takes 10min to get the van moving from a standing start due to anti theft/entry measures it's not very spontaneous in the event of the plonker/ unfortunate individual parked up next door having his van go up in flames.
Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back