Let's hear it for Panel Van Conversions!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Chockswahay, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I do admit, I am a beginner ('van less too) but I have done a lot of research here and elsewhere on the 'net.

PVC's (oo err matron) get a short shrift I think. It would appear that many people consider them too small, not comfy enough and not 'serious' motorhomes.

I think this is a personal issue and really depends on so many variables. For the last few years our (me and Mrs Chox) holidays etc have been tent orientated, either in a tent, in a car with tent annexe or cycle camping. Now compared to tents even the smallest van (VW etc) is a positive luxury! so a 6mx2m 'van is heaven to us.

For us the need is to be able to tour, to voyage, to travel.........not spend a week on the same site. We like out of the way places and prefer wild camping to 'organised sites'. When covering long distances fuel consumption is important. When we get there we like to spend time out and about, cycling, surfing, walking etc. So a big lounge for example is a low priority.

When it comes to fixed bed.....yes please! we don't want to make up a bed every night.

We are intending to finish work in the near future and spend more time travelling so the choice of motorhome is now very important. High on the list of desirables are:

Modern
    Fuel efficient
    Reliable
    Compact
    Cozy
    Independent
    storage
    Suitable for narrow lanes and small car parks
    Huge support network (motor)
    Berths for two with occasional need for four

All of this leads us to Panel Van Conversions.............(Fiat Ducato esp') what's not to like!?

I should add that for three years we lived and travelled full time on a sailing yacht so we are quite familiar with living in a small space, saving water and electricity etc.

For us the journey is just as important as the destination.

So come on all you 'van owners, let's hear some more positive comments about van conversions (no coach built remarks here :Wink: ) !!

(hard hat and flak jacket on) :Smile:

Cheers

Chox

• Like Like x 5
  2. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

Too small for me !

barry:Smile::Smile:

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I love them, they have come on leaps and bounds over the last few years. I baulk at the price, but we will have one one day, when no kids are with us and it's just the two of us, we'll set off on in one for some proper touring:thumb:

• Like Like x 5
  4. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Once we retire we will sell our present motorhome and Ralph is going to build our own PVC. To our own requirements. For all the above reasons .:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

Too small for me i'm afraid.

Rv-less Craig

6. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

I like mine.:thumb:

Don't get waved at any more Though.:Sad:

Pete:Cool:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

hey, steady on...........no 'mine's bigger than yours!' please :Wink:

8. icantremember

icantremember Funster

We started our motor home life with a PVC, ( Autosleeper Duetto ) which was great if a little tight for space and bed making a bit laborious.
    Then we moved on to a larger coach built but without fixed beds ........ then we got our current model with fixed beds 'cos we got lazy. This is very comfortable and we love it.
    Having got to this I now hanker after a PVC again, mainly for the convenience of parking in tight areas and being able to use it as a runaround when touring instead of towing our toad.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I live full time in a self built PVC. Tiny but so versatile. Never have to plan and can fit in a supermarket car parking space. Go anywhere a car can (mostly)

• Like Like x 4
  10. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Used to have a Trigano tribute.. Loved it..
    If your going to warmer and sunnier countries where you tend to spend more time sat out side anyway even better.. Not much fun in UK on a rainy cold day, soon starts to feel cramped..
    As for sleeping 4 people...!! No comment...

I always wanted a Merc Spinter converted, maybe later....

11. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Gromett, just had a quick butchers at your blogg......Optare Metrorider with a 5.9 Litre Cummins............Tiny?? have I looked at the wrong one?

12. Manxcat

Manxcat Funster

pvc

We are on our first motorhome. A Westfalia Big Nuggett - Ford transit conversion.

We love it. In 2 years just finished 14,000 miles. Your analysis agrees with me in every respect. Go with pvc that what I say.

Richard Brown

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Ooops. Need to update the introduction page:Doh::Doh::Doh::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

i forgot about that one.

• Like Like x 1
  14. novawight

novawight Read Only Funster

Luv my old vw Topaz, but alas have to make up bed.........Del

15. Terry

Terry Funster

PVC are ideal for two touring :thumb: not sure they would be big enough for full timing :BigGrin: but certainly 4 / 6 weeks without probs.Most vans are under 6 ft wide so for my mind a longtitudinal bed is a must,but the new style fiat,cit and pugs are alegedly 6 ft 4ins wide :thumb: so youcould get away with a across the van bed.Layout is the single thing to consider in any van more so in a smaller van :BigGrin::Wink:
    terry

16. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

Our family business was and still is based on panel van conversions, we have built on everything from the old fiat 850's, All of the VW's, Landrovers, Transits,Bedfords, Most of the Mercs even the tiny Seat's, some we fitted with Hi top or elevating roofs, Also done a couple of Trucks. in fact we will build on or in vertually anything. You won't see any complaints about panel van conversions from me........ Even ex prison service ones......Mark

• Like Like x 1
  17. buttons

buttons Funster

My brother has one and I must admit I am tempted. They are on my options list for next spring.:thumb:

18. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

PVC's

We looked at PVC's in depth before buying our current Bolero, our's is the 600 EK Compact model, so actually shorter than some PVC's, we also liked the airy feel to our M/H as compared to Vans which seemed (to us), a bit gloomy inside some of them, price was a consideration as well.:thumb:

19. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

been there, done that etc

after numerous pvc's over 20+ years including a few we converted ourselves, there are good and bad points to consider. especially the space and load capacity

if you plan extended touring, you will no doubt need a shower which loses a huge chunk of the van

fixed beds likewise are impractcal due to floor space, unless you are tiny and fit in a bed in the high roof

a 4 berth panel van... are you having a laugh??

20. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I am on my second IH they have to fit your needs just like anything else its a good idea if you can try one out first before you buy