leisure battery problem (again) (1 Viewer)

peddlingfree

Free Member
Jun 12, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Suntour - Fiat Ducato
Exp
2 years in a couple, 2 years solo
Four weeks ago I had a long weekend at Moreton-in-Marsh and everything was ok. Since returning home I isolated the motor battery but left the leisure battery. Yesterday, I checked the leisure battery and found it flat with crystals coming out of it. It was new Spring last year.

Does anyone know why this would have happened? Is 4 weeks too long to leave it - there was nothing switched on as far as I am aware. And what should I do now?

Advice would be much appreciated as I have had countless problems and thought this summer I had finally got to grips with everything.

Thanks.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Four weeks to leave it is next to no time at all.
Sounds like it is duff I am afraid
One thing of concern.. If it has the dread crystals forming that does indicate it is not a sealed for life battery.. Which means the electrolytic levels should be checked and probably topped up
Did you ever do that ?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Where you on EHU at home or have you got solar panels fitted?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

peddlingfree

Free Member
Jun 12, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Suntour - Fiat Ducato
Exp
Oh dear, no I have never topped up electrolyte levels and I do have a tiny solar panel which I used to attach to motor vehicle battery but someone told me not to bother. Is it just a leisure battery that needs to be topped up? its not vehicle batteries is it?

OP
OP
P

peddlingfree

Free Member
Jun 12, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Suntour - Fiat Ducato
Exp
I bought the battery from Spinney and asked them if it had a guarantee. They told me to look on the battery and I couldn't see anything and said so. They then said it was probably 2 years, that was May 2015. This is the 3rd duff battery in a row. I went to Spinney's to ask if they could sort out what was happening. They looked at it then said it needed a new one. Then for the next couple of months I worried about why nothing was working. Eventually, a caravanner friend suspected a fuse had blown which is situated right next to the battery under the floor. That turned out to be the answer then. I hadn't realised because there are trip switches for 4 fuses but not for the leisure battery one.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Have had some battery problems where the battery was dead too soon after purchase
The dealers found that the supplier/manufacturer had sent them OLD batteries they replaced and got refund from the manufacturer and then threatened to change supplier if they didn't improve

the shop now sells a different brand of battery so.....

get the dealer to check the battery for age and when they received it most usually have a 2 year warranty now

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I bought the battery from Spinney and asked them if it had a guarantee. They told me to look on the battery and I couldn't see anything and said so. They then said it was probably 2 years, that was May 2015. This is the 3rd duff battery in a row. I went to Spinney's to ask if they could sort out what was happening. They looked at it then said it needed a new one. Then for the next couple of months I worried about why nothing was working. Eventually, a caravanner friend suspected a fuse had blown which is situated right next to the battery under the floor. That turned out to be the answer then. I hadn't realised because there are trip switches for 4 fuses but not for the leisure battery one.
Some reading for you that will improve your knowledge of Leisure batteries, how to select the right one and how to maintain them.
(If you always do what you've always done. you'll always get what you've always got!)
http://www.thencc.org.uk/our_schemes/ncc_verified_leisure_battery_scheme.aspx
http://www.campingandcaravanningclu...nicalhelp/datasheets/guide-leisure-batteries/

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I didn't know you had to top batteries up ... how often are you supposed to do it please? :(

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Chack every 6 months, that should be sufficient. (Lead acid batteries only) Use distilled water, you can purchase easily from garages, Supermarkets etc.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
This just got me thinking...

My two Wets are "sideways-on" in a tight space in the service locker...

I always look at them when filling fresh water tank.. and note level.

But it has just occurred to me that I can only see the end cell of each..

They are a mare to slide out...

Is it likely that some of the other cell may be lower in fluid than the ones I can see.... I seem to recall having to put electrolite in each cell - indicating that fliud-wise - they are self contained

Do i need to rave them out!?

John T

OP
OP
P

peddlingfree

Free Member
Jun 12, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Suntour - Fiat Ducato
Exp
The outcome
The battery was under guarantee and has been replaced. I got as far as buying an intelligent charger from them but the then the chap advising me got into conversation with the chap fitting the new battery who said the charger wouldn't work. So it got returned within 10 minutes.
I have a hook-up at home and it seems that last winter when I had the it hooked up to keep the Truva electric heater on minimum to keep the motorhome aired it would have overcharged the leisure battery and hence the crystals appearing so many months later.
I have been advised by them not to hook-up until 2 days before I want to use the motorhome.
So now I'm wondering how to overwinter it - will search threads.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The outcome
The battery was under guarantee and has been replaced. I got as far as buying an intelligent charger from them but the then the chap advising me got into conversation with the chap fitting the new battery who said the charger wouldn't work. So it got returned within 10 minutes.
I have a hook-up at home and it seems that last winter when I had the it hooked up to keep the Truva electric heater on minimum to keep the motorhome aired it would have overcharged the leisure battery and hence the crystals appearing so many months later.
I have been advised by them not to hook-up until 2 days before I want to use the motorhome.
That sounds like a load of nonsense to me. Your on board battery charger should not cause damage to your batteries by being on permanent hook up. Check what type of battery charger is fitted. If it is a modern 3 stage charger it can be left on hook up permanently without damage to the batteries. Mine is never off hook up when parked at home.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
The outcome
If you can put it on hook up, put it on charge once a week, over winter.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
The outcome
How will keeping heating on "air" your motorhome?

OP
OP
P

peddlingfree

Free Member
Jun 12, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Suntour - Fiat Ducato
Exp
The motorhome is 10 years old so I don't suppose it is a modern one.

OP
OP
P

peddlingfree

Free Member
Jun 12, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Suntour - Fiat Ducato
Exp
by airing, I mean to keep mildew away, and damp out of the seating
maybe I'm worrying about nothing?
I've just got used to worrying - it seems to have become my natural state.

OP
OP
P

peddlingfree

Free Member
Jun 12, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Suntour - Fiat Ducato
Exp
most interesting .. change of tactic required then

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
When we aren't using our van and it is parked at home, we always have it on hook up and heating on low when cold.
We have done this to our last 3 vans, a brand new one, a 16 year old RV and a 19 year old British van. With warm air inside there are no cold surfaces for any condensation to form on. Motorhomes are well ventilated so there should be no stale air as heating inside will encourage the movement of air
We keep our cupboards open to remove the possibility of cold spots and have never noticed any moisture.
And the batteries are charged all the time, our 19 year old van has an intelligent 3 way charger fitted as standard so no need to disconnect batteries. Most motorhomes should have similar or better charging systems.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This is the 3rd duff battery in a row..

Big alarm bells start ringing. 3 duff in a row is so unlikely. You've a drain you need to sort out. If you get one under warranty, great, if they refuse they are probably right, you've killed it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I didn't know you had to top batteries up ... how often are you supposed to do it please? :(

Check every month or two. But only if the battery can be filled, many are sealed. If you see screw caps, 6 big ones, get a coin and look inside.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
most interesting .. change of tactic required then
Agreed. The key to preventing damp in your motorhome is ventilation. Crack open the top window in your shower/toilet (An inch will do it) same for your habitation rook vent. This will enable air to circulate. You do not need any heating on over the winter at all. However, if your still not comfortable with this plan store your mattress and cushions inside your home. Hildweller raises a valid point, if you have 3 sets of failed batteries there is almost certainly a leak somewhere and if so you need to find and correct it. Lastly, get online and find what kind of battery charger you have in your motorhome, I suspect it will be more than suitable.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
@peddlingfree Can you let us know the make & model of your motorhome? Can you conform it's a 2006 model (you said it was 10 years old)? Can you see a make & model on the mains charger?

Without that information it's impossible to advise whether it is safe to leave EHU permanently connected. In 2006 some converters were still fitting dumb chargers that weren't suitable for permanent connection.

It may be possible to leave the EHU connected & running a heater, but still turn the charger off. Can you find an on/off switch on the charger itself, or on a control panel?

OP
OP
P

peddlingfree

Free Member
Jun 12, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Suntour - Fiat Ducato
Exp
Its a Swift Suntour 530LP 2.0JTD

Reading upside-down it says on the charger located in the wardrobe
MOD NE143-S
input 230v 16A 50/60Hz
output max 144v -200w
NORDELETTRONICA

There is no on/off switch.
The control panel over the door has a toggle between the motor and leisure batteries which is supposed to show how charged they are. With the new battery, the leisure battery is half-way in the green section. The motor battery is currently isolated. I could isolate the leisure one as well.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
ust looked up the model you have and here is a quote..

An intelligent multistage 16A leisure battery charger designed for caravans and motor homes which significantly reducing charging time and avoids permanent damage to your battery.
It IS an intelligent charger so unless it is faulty it can be left on all the time,,,, for years in fact !

OP
OP
P

peddlingfree

Free Member
Jun 12, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Suntour - Fiat Ducato
Exp
so I need to question the man who fitted the battery and told me the previous one had crystallised because I'd had the motorhome hooked up last winter?
If that wasn't the reason for the crystals what could it have been? lack of topping up with water?

this is a puzzle to me which is going on and on

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Ok, so now we know that the charger is suitable for permanent connection, the next question is - is it working properly?

The control panel indicators are notoriously unreliable. I'm not sure if 'half way in the green' means charged or only half charged.

Have you got a multimeter of some sort? We really need voltage readings straight off the battery to be able to tell what's going on.

Turn everything off, including the hook up for 24hrs. Measure the battery voltage. It should be between 12.2 & 12.6V (If it's below 12.2 you definitely have a problem!).

Assuming it is towards the upper end of that range, turn a few lights on for a couple of hours, then turn them off & plug the hookup back in & make sure the control panel is switched on & it's set to charge the leisure battery. Measure the battery voltage again - it should be above 14V. If it's the same or lower than before, the charger isn't working.

Leave it charging for 24hrs, but with everything else switched off - no lights etc. With the charger still switched on, measure again. The voltage should now be between 13.6 & 14V. If it's still higher, it's possibly faulty & may be overcharging the batteries.

Post the results on here.

If you don't have a multimeter, it's worth getting one. After a sense of smell, it's the most useful diagnostic tool in a motorhome. :D

Unfortunately, I've seen it suggested elsewhere that Nordelettronica is not the most robust manufacturer of that type of equipment.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back