Left or right

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Dandylads, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Dandylads

Dandylads Read Only Funster

We are just about to buy our first motorhome. As we want to spend the winters in warmer climes I think it prudent to buy a left hand drive however my partner is raising opposition, more through not having driven left hand drive vehicles. What can we do to see what is best for us? Are there companies out there that can help us with a test drive of sorts?

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

I dont think there is an issue either way.. It's what suits the driver..
    Mine is right hand and never had an issue, most of my travels and in France, Spain and Morocco.
    Would say that 80% of people that I have met / know who go overseas are right hand drive.
    If you have a passenger then you have that extra set of eyes for roundabouts etc...
    Only if I was a solo driver would I opt for a LHD....

3. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I prefer LHD, because the British Police always seem to think that the dog is driving. (y)

• Like Like x 5
  4. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Oh come on she's not that bad:D

• Like Like x 2
  5. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

I drove a lefty car for a day and skinned me left hand trying to put the hand brake on, anyway I hated it so I think its worth a try first(y)

6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Wanna swap, for say a knackered battery, or maybe a couple of worn out tyres?? :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: mmm no thanks I already have one:confused:

8. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Left or right doesn't bother me in the slightest. The main problem is the embarrassment when you forget which side and get in the passenger side and have to pretend that's what you meant to do in the first place...

• Like Like x 6
  9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

LEFT

• Like Like x 1
  10. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

I must say that driving a RHD abroad is nowhere near as big a problem as I had feared. Was really worried until I tried it but I do it without even thinking about it now.(y)

Wyn

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tootles

Tootles Funster

In the Army, (Germany), half our stuff was RHD, a quarter LHD, and the rest you drove sat in the middle!! You sort of soon got used to it.

12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You shouldn't have any problems to adapting to a LHD vehicle. I've flown many times and picked up LHD hire car and never had a problem.

I think the issues are more about buying and then subsequently selling on the vehicle later. This will probably be easier with a RHD vehicle sourced in this country. However, if you are prepared to go to Europe to source your vehicle there are bargains to be had.

13. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I don't like driving LHD cars. I find it particularly hard to reverse them for some reason.

I am entirely comfortable driving my RHD in Europe.

If you think about it, you only really need better road vision on A roads for overtaking and you won't be doing much of that in a motorhome.

When on the motorway it doesn't matter what side you are sitting.

• Like Like x 1
  14. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

We are LHD and in the UK there can be the occasional visibility problem at T junctions that are at an angle instead of a T that's when you need your co-driver, the same problem exists when on the continent if you are RHD.

Personally I like being LHD in the UK as it allows me to get our wider vehicle right over to the left side of the road.

End of the day I don't think it makes a huge difference, if you find a van you love either would be OK but I would favour left.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  15. Manic

Manic Funster

Mines lefty, no problems here or there. In the uk you can judge how near you're to the hedges and you don't frighten yourself with the lorries coming the other way, that's what the passengers for.

16. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I've driven both and have no preference.

17. Tootles

Tootles Funster

LHD also gives you a far superior view of ladies bottoms wobbling along the pavement.........Not that it would interest me. :whistle::whistle:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have had both and I have no preference. My current RHD seems to give better visibility at junctions abroad than it does in the UK. If you can find LHD in the UK it is often at a lower price, in which case go for it.

19. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Left hand drive is great for the time spent in Europe.....what about the time spent in the UK.

Dont forget, with a motorhome you sit head and shoulders above car drivers so its not a major problem seeing ahead at junctions and overtaking etc.

20. dougw

dougw Read Only Funster

Just got our first motorhome, LHD (because it was the first one we saw that we liked and could afford ).
    Not done many miles so far, first few miles setting off driving home through a housing estate after buying it was a bit daunting, all that motorhome to my right next to the parked cars, only room for one vehicle at a time due to cars parked on both sides.
    However got used to changing gear with the "wrong" hand very quickly, as mentioned visibility on angled slip roads can be tricky if you are on your own , but apart from that have no worries about the LHD.
    It has two rear cameras and can take another feed to the display easily (I think) so thinking of fitting another camera to cover the view from the RHS passenger window. But may never get round to it as its way , way down my "To do" list.
    Hopefully France next year, so LHD a bonus .