Dandylads

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
'Don't own one yet'
Exp
'We are newbie's'
We are just about to buy our first motorhome. As we want to spend the winters in warmer climes I think it prudent to buy a left hand drive however my partner is raising opposition, more through not having driven left hand drive vehicles. What can we do to see what is best for us? Are there companies out there that can help us with a test drive of sorts?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I dont think there is an issue either way.. It's what suits the driver..
Mine is right hand and never had an issue, most of my travels and in France, Spain and Morocco.
Would say that 80% of people that I have met / know who go overseas are right hand drive.
If you have a passenger then you have that extra set of eyes for roundabouts etc...
Only if I was a solo driver would I opt for a LHD....

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I drove a lefty car for a day and skinned me left hand trying to put the hand brake on, anyway I hated it so I think its worth a try first(y)

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are just about to buy our first motorhome. As we want to spend the winters in warmer climes I think it prudent to buy a left hand drive however my partner is raising opposition, more through not having driven left hand drive vehicles. What can we do to see what is best for us? Are there companies out there that can help us with a test drive of sorts?

Left or right doesn't bother me in the slightest. The main problem is the embarrassment when you forget which side and get in the passenger side and have to pretend that's what you meant to do in the first place...

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I must say that driving a RHD abroad is nowhere near as big a problem as I had feared. Was really worried until I tried it but I do it without even thinking about it now.(y)

Wyn

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
In the Army, (Germany), half our stuff was RHD, a quarter LHD, and the rest you drove sat in the middle!! You sort of soon got used to it.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You shouldn't have any problems to adapting to a LHD vehicle. I've flown many times and picked up LHD hire car and never had a problem.

I think the issues are more about buying and then subsequently selling on the vehicle later. This will probably be easier with a RHD vehicle sourced in this country. However, if you are prepared to go to Europe to source your vehicle there are bargains to be had.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't like driving LHD cars. I find it particularly hard to reverse them for some reason.

I am entirely comfortable driving my RHD in Europe.

If you think about it, you only really need better road vision on A roads for overtaking and you won't be doing much of that in a motorhome.

When on the motorway it doesn't matter what side you are sitting.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We are LHD and in the UK there can be the occasional visibility problem at T junctions that are at an angle instead of a T that's when you need your co-driver, the same problem exists when on the continent if you are RHD.

Personally I like being LHD in the UK as it allows me to get our wider vehicle right over to the left side of the road.

End of the day I don't think it makes a huge difference, if you find a van you love either would be OK but I would favour left.

Martin

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Mines lefty, no problems here or there. In the uk you can judge how near you're to the hedges and you don't frighten yourself with the lorries coming the other way, that's what the passengers for.

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I don't like driving LHD cars. I find it particularly hard to reverse them for some reason.

I am entirely comfortable driving my RHD in Europe.

If you think about it, you only really need better road vision on A roads for overtaking and you won't be doing much of that in a motorhome.

When on the motorway it doesn't matter what side you are sitting.

LHD also gives you a far superior view of ladies bottoms wobbling along the pavement.........Not that it would interest me. :whistle::whistle:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have had both and I have no preference. My current RHD seems to give better visibility at junctions abroad than it does in the UK. If you can find LHD in the UK it is often at a lower price, in which case go for it.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Left hand drive is great for the time spent in Europe.....what about the time spent in the UK.

Dont forget, with a motorhome you sit head and shoulders above car drivers so its not a major problem seeing ahead at junctions and overtaking etc.

Upvote 0

dougw

Free Member
Jul 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer 635
Exp
1 Month
Just got our first motorhome, LHD (because it was the first one we saw that we liked and could afford ).
Not done many miles so far, first few miles setting off driving home through a housing estate after buying it was a bit daunting, all that motorhome to my right next to the parked cars, only room for one vehicle at a time due to cars parked on both sides.
However got used to changing gear with the "wrong" hand very quickly, as mentioned visibility on angled slip roads can be tricky if you are on your own , but apart from that have no worries about the LHD.
It has two rear cameras and can take another feed to the display easily (I think) so thinking of fitting another camera to cover the view from the RHS passenger window. But may never get round to it as its way , way down my "To do" list.
Hopefully France next year, so LHD a bonus .

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't know for sure but guess that LHD bought in UK = lower price.

RHD bought abroad = lower price.

As for the driving... I get on with either without difficulty.

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I don't know for sure but guess that LHD bought in UK = lower price.

Not sure about that JJ. Old vans like ours don't seem to have any price differential because of the driving side. Well, not in the UK anyway.

Upvote 0

dougw

Free Member
Jul 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer 635
Exp
1 Month
The seller of our LHD said a few people had come to look at the van but had been put of by LHD . Despite the advert clearly stating LHD, he seemed a bit touchy about this.

Their loss our gain ! We do seem to have got a good van for £8.4 K , as someone else commented though I guess we have paid about £400 for the 19 year old van and £8K for the home bit !

Christine (Mrs Dougw) is a bit hesitant to try driving it yet but she`s generally less gung ho than me (or some would say less stupid :) )
Not thinking of selling any-time soon so not bothered.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We live in France for 6 months and UK for the rest of the year.

If we fly off on holiday we hire left hand drive but, otherwise, we use RHD in both countries with few problems.

When driving M/H in Europe and behind slow traffic I move over slightly and my wife tells me if it is safe to move out further for me to check if it is safe to overtake. Works well.

Just one thought, when I insure M/H in UK The company always asks if it is LHD or RHD. Does this mean that LHD carries a "loading" on insurance?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back