LED light swaps not the obvious ones

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by DavidG58, Jan 30, 2016.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I had always known that we had some serious amp gobblers in some of our lighting, looking at them I didn't think we could swap them for LED, decided to put in some more effort

result

In our bathroom we have rather fancy very bright what look like tiny bulbs over the sink area, a total of 6 mini down lighters. Our controller allows me to look at how many amps are being drawn at any time, with everything else off the amps show zero, turn on the toilet room light, amps go up to 5.8. I now know that although they look special they are actually G4's a fairly standard halogen bulb. So bought some LED's chose daylight white, removed all 6 bulbs, fitted new LED's, amps now 0.8 :)

then Bev went to open one of the bathroom cupboards, the new bulbs are about 5mm longer than the original and stop 2 of the doors opening, so have to remove 2 bulbs :(, but still much brighter in there than with the 6 halogens (y) and now down to 0.5A

then moved to the bedroom, where we have similar lighting but even smaller, with the toilet ones I could just pull the bulbs out, the bedroom ones have nothing to get hold of and are like pin heads. So retreat and have another look. Decided to check the amp consumption for these bulbs to see how much they take and how much effort they warranted, 0.2A :), so they must already be LEDs, excellent no more effort required on these, thankfully before I tried dismantling one of the fittings (y)

So now have extra bulbs, plus the 2 removed from the toilet, remember the wardrobes, there are 2 both lit when door open, regularly left not quite closed so with light on, these take over 5A per cupboard. But they look like they might be fluorescents and therefore above my technical skills to swap. But decided to investigate more deeply. Turns out they are more G4's 2 per fitting hidden behind plastic covers making them look like tubes. A complete nightmare to get at and change, but now they are and down to under 1A with both doors open (y)

We will have so much power left over now :):) well worth the effort

• Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Thank goodness my MH came equipped with all led lighting!

• Like Like x 1
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Ours was a 2007 spec, but I was disappointed how many halogens there were, a few fluorescents that we are stuck with, a silly rope light 'mood lighting' takes high amps and does nothing and has segments missing

What really surprised me was looking in a 2014 version that still had the same halogen and other lights the same as ours o_O

4. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

David, using a pair of side cutters, just chop a smidging off the two pins on the new LEDs and that may allow the cupboards to open.

Our van had 23 x 10Watt halogens which cost over £130 to swop out. Go for warm white if you don't want the cold look.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

I bypassed the starter and choke where I had fluorescents, wired back right to the switch and stuck self adhesive leds strips on the reflectors. Work fine.

Dick

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

thanks for that idea Ken, we have done similar with some of the others, but these bulbs are in as far as they can go, the bulb part is physically bigger, I might look for a lower wattage, although these are 1.5W the box shows options for 3 / 5 + 7.5W. Might just need a different design (y)

7. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

When I did ours I took the old halogens out and measured them, over all length and the bulb only length then sent an email to various suppliers. I ordered from the first to get back to me with a positive answer :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I have found that those that are able to do, also have a way of making it sound so easy :)

I have a roll of LED's on sticky back stuff, will wave them around at Chester and hope someone takes pity on me :LOL:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

typical give a job to a woman they take it so seriously, this is why only men have 'Man drawers' for all the things we bought on impulse or just in case :LOL::LOL:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Is that why most women's underwear fits snug and men wear boxers?

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I will converse with you on lights Mrs PD, but I am retreating now, really cant talk under garments on an open forum :shake::shake:

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Mr Mousy

Mr Mousy Funster Life Member

13. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

David, I was going to compliment you on getting "hands on" but seeing where this thread is going I possibly shouldn't bother.

Martin

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I do hope you mean lights Martin, not the underwear distraction

I will go and take some now, even though it is snowing here :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I think what DICK is saying is "rip it all out and just connect to the 12 volts that is left behind"

Martin

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Debs

Debs Funster

Oh pants;) - does that mean it's on it's way to us as well?....the white stuff...:rolleyes:

17. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

IMG_1427.JPG
    IMG_1430.JPG IMG_1432.JPG IMG_1433.JPG IMG_1434.JPG IMG_1435.JPG IMG_1436.JPG IMG_1439.JPG IMG_1441.JPG

Lousy photos, not easy in dark and in a hurry :)

too many lights and too complicated for my liking, one under cupboard only works when it wants to, it is some kind of dimmer switch, but more typically is left off due to blood pressure issues :) even the tap has a light in it, totally useless and we have no idea how to get inside to even see the bulb let alone change it

Still got the fluorescents to go, then the useless mood bits, like that vertical nonsense beside the loo

• Like Like x 3
  18. Al-Di

Al-Di Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

20. Manic

Manic Funster

When changing you halogen bulbs don't forget the outside light over the hab door, that has 2 halogen bulbs in and not only would you save on power but also the lens gets discoloured from the heat.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1