LED light swaps not the obvious ones (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I had always known that we had some serious amp gobblers in some of our lighting, looking at them I didn't think we could swap them for LED, decided to put in some more effort

result

In our bathroom we have rather fancy very bright what look like tiny bulbs over the sink area, a total of 6 mini down lighters. Our controller allows me to look at how many amps are being drawn at any time, with everything else off the amps show zero, turn on the toilet room light, amps go up to 5.8. I now know that although they look special they are actually G4's a fairly standard halogen bulb. So bought some LED's chose daylight white, removed all 6 bulbs, fitted new LED's, amps now 0.8 :)

then Bev went to open one of the bathroom cupboards, the new bulbs are about 5mm longer than the original and stop 2 of the doors opening, so have to remove 2 bulbs :(, but still much brighter in there than with the 6 halogens (y) and now down to 0.5A

then moved to the bedroom, where we have similar lighting but even smaller, with the toilet ones I could just pull the bulbs out, the bedroom ones have nothing to get hold of and are like pin heads. So retreat and have another look. Decided to check the amp consumption for these bulbs to see how much they take and how much effort they warranted, 0.2A :), so they must already be LEDs, excellent no more effort required on these, thankfully before I tried dismantling one of the fittings (y)

So now have extra bulbs, plus the 2 removed from the toilet, remember the wardrobes, there are 2 both lit when door open, regularly left not quite closed so with light on, these take over 5A per cupboard. But they look like they might be fluorescents and therefore above my technical skills to swap. But decided to investigate more deeply. Turns out they are more G4's 2 per fitting hidden behind plastic covers making them look like tubes. A complete nightmare to get at and change, but now they are and down to under 1A with both doors open (y)

We will have so much power left over now :):) well worth the effort

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thank goodness my MH came equipped with all led lighting!

Ours was a 2007 spec, but I was disappointed how many halogens there were, a few fluorescents that we are stuck with, a silly rope light 'mood lighting' takes high amps and does nothing and has segments missing

What really surprised me was looking in a 2014 version that still had the same halogen and other lights the same as ours o_O

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
David, using a pair of side cutters, just chop a smidging off the two pins on the new LEDs and that may allow the cupboards to open.

Our van had 23 x 10Watt halogens which cost over £130 to swop out. Go for warm white if you don't want the cold look.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I bypassed the starter and choke where I had fluorescents, wired back right to the switch and stuck self adhesive leds strips on the reflectors. Work fine.

Dick

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David, using a pair of side cutters, just chop a smidging off the two pins on the new LEDs and that may allow the cupboards to open.

Our van had 23 x 10Watt halogens which cost over £130 to swop out. Go for warm white if you don't want the cold look.

thanks for that idea Ken, we have done similar with some of the others, but these bulbs are in as far as they can go, the bulb part is physically bigger, I might look for a lower wattage, although these are 1.5W the box shows options for 3 / 5 + 7.5W. Might just need a different design (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When I did ours I took the old halogens out and measured them, over all length and the bulb only length then sent an email to various suppliers. I ordered from the first to get back to me with a positive answer :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I bypassed the starter and choke where I had fluorescents, wired back right to the switch and stuck self adhesive leds strips on the reflectors. Work fine.

Dick

I have found that those that are able to do, also have a way of making it sound so easy :)

I have a roll of LED's on sticky back stuff, will wave them around at Chester and hope someone takes pity on me :LOL:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
When I did ours I took the old halogens out and measured them, over all length and the bulb only length then sent an email to various suppliers. I ordered from the first to get back to me with a positive answer :)

typical give a job to a woman they take it so seriously, this is why only men have 'Man drawers' for all the things we bought on impulse or just in case :LOL::LOL:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
typical give a job to a woman they take it so seriously, this is why only men have 'Man drawers' for all the things we bought on impulse or just in case :LOL::LOL:

Is that why most women's underwear fits snug and men wear boxers?

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
David, photos please.

@DavidG58

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
David, I was going to compliment you on getting "hands on" but seeing where this thread is going I possibly shouldn't bother.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have found that those that are able to do, also have a way of making it sound so easy :)

I have a roll of LED's on sticky back stuff, will wave them around at Chester and hope someone takes pity on me :LOL:
I think what DICK is saying is "rip it all out and just connect to the 12 volts that is left behind"

Martin

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I do hope you mean lights Martin, not the underwear distraction

I will go and take some now, even though it is snowing here :)
Oh pants;) - does that mean it's on it's way to us as well?....the white stuff...:rolleyes:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
IMG_1427.JPG

IMG_1430.JPG
IMG_1432.JPG
IMG_1433.JPG
IMG_1434.JPG
IMG_1435.JPG
IMG_1436.JPG
IMG_1439.JPG
IMG_1441.JPG

Lousy photos, not easy in dark and in a hurry :)

too many lights and too complicated for my liking, one under cupboard only works when it wants to, it is some kind of dimmer switch, but more typically is left off due to blood pressure issues :) even the tap has a light in it, totally useless and we have no idea how to get inside to even see the bulb let alone change it

Still got the fluorescents to go, then the useless mood bits, like that vertical nonsense beside the loo

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
david we had similar problem and found these,

its called Cob, 1st one on top line,

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
david we had similar problem and found these,

its called Cob, 1st one on top line,

Broken Link Removed

Thanks Alan

Ordered, will hope they just make the difference (y)

I did revisit Kens @canopus suggestion today, the bulbs were actually not fully home, but even when trimmed were still slightly too long, this should just make the difference :)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When changing you halogen bulbs don't forget the outside light over the hab door, that has 2 halogen bulbs in and not only would you save on power but also the lens gets discoloured from the heat.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
When changing you halogen bulbs don't forget the outside light over the hab door, that has 2 halogen bulbs in and not only would you save on power but also the lens gets discoloured from the heat.

This lets me tell you all an interesting tale (I think so anyway:)), that light was the first one I attempted to swap and I blew a fuse, swapped fuse blew again, changed bulbs back to halogen. When at a meet a few months later recruited the assistance of a few more knowledgeable than me, fitted a new LED bulb, blew a fuse but also noticed smoke from the LEDs :eek:, the benefit of many eyes on same job

replaced with original halogens and gave in

MH booked in for a hab service, told them we had an issue with the fuse on the outside light, when collected they rather smugly announced I had the wrong bulbs fitted, but they had changed them. Really not at all sure about this, but first time out noticed discolouration of the outside light cover, which on close inspection was actually melted

I removed the bulbs and put back 2 more LED's (new supplier), I also had a replacement cover by pure coincidence, was looking through ebay and had found one cheap, thought it would be a useful spare, new LED's worked fine, must have been a dodgy manufacturer first time and the lens is not melting, as you suggest this is a risk, but not one I had suffered before the 'experts' fitted the 'correct' bulbs.

(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you need to remove a bulb that is in a tight space get a piece of clear plastic tube a shade smaller than bulb ,heat it so it is pliable &push over head of bulb . Should then be able to pull out or push & rotate , whatever type it is.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks again @Al-Di your suggested bulbs turned up today, they fit a treat and the cupboards now open with them fitted

No need for mood lighting now though, turn these on and the rest of the MH is now illuminated :) even with the door shut :LOL:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
So, an engine that now works, lights that use less power, whats next on your list? fridge? no thats done. I feel sure there is lots more to play with yet, and then maybe start drilling holes:LOL: great things these mh's. hrs & hrs of fun.:sneaky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back