LED H7 headlight bulbs upgrade - impressed (so far) (3 Viewers)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's my son who does it I just give him the projects to do cos I am to thick to the design stuff
I have that problem, I have enough problems with PLA don't think my printer will handle ABS very well, even if I could design it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Before I start, I know that most LED bulbs are not e-marked, and they work much better in general with projector headlamps rather than the old fashioned reflector headlamps that are fitted to Fiat Ducatos.

I have fitted these knowing that they aren’t authorised for road use, so please don’t remind me that they don’t conform thanks.

The reason that I’m so impressed is because over the years I have tried all sorts of bulbs in all my cars with differing results, but these have an identical beam pattern to the original halogen bulbs which suggests they won’t blind other road users. In the past I have removed bulbs that are too bright or have an awful beam pattern because I do not want to blind people. I just want to be able to see where I’m going.
(Frankly I think that halogen headlights should be banned as they are so dim, rubbish and dangerous.)

These LED bulbs were recommended by Bob Earnshaw on YouTube. His video is HERE and the link to Amazon is HERE.

If you decide to give them a try, remove the bulb base from the LED bulb and fit that into the bulb holder in the headlamp first. Then, fit the bulb and then twist until the bulb is VERTICAL** in the headlamp. Tuck the connectors in, leaving a bit of space for the headlamp adjustment mechanism to move freely.

**VERTICAL bulbs ensure that the beam of light is spread outwards, which reflects properly from the back of the headlight outwards, conforming to the original beam pattern. Any other angle and the light is cast all over the place. If you put them flat, the beam pattern is just awful and a telling off by pc plod would be imminent because the light that shines down from the bulb reflects upwards - into people’s faces.

I’ve attached some photos (LED passenger side, original candles driver side) and will update this thread once I’ve driven down a dark road somewhere to let you know how they actually perform in use.

EDIT: Don’t bother with the other LEDs that Bob tried in his video, the reviews look awful. I bought 2 pairs of the ones linked above, for dipped and main beam.

👍
It is the lateral spred that blinds oncoming traffic when passing on country lanes.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Sounds good! Let us know the results when you manage to get out 👍🏼🙂
Took the van for a short drive last night up a dark country road. Wierd driving with white lights when you are not used to it.

Beam alingmen looks good but a bit high although they looked the same height as the halogens. Doing it 5 ft from the garage door doesn't give a true picture you need to be about 25 ft from the wall you are using to aline them.

Main difference I notice was the verges & hedgerow were lit up so much brighter only got to try main beam a few times didn't notice any difference in range but again the sides of the road so much better lit.
I drove a few miles to a small car park stopped an changed them over to flat dipping for the drive back. A big difference, fine driving on flat dipping, the halogens were dreadful in the flat dip mode.

I then took the car out for a drive surprisingly the car headlamps are so much better, just a Kia Venga with reflector headlamps with halogen bulbs. The dip pattern is so much better and the lights are bright.
Also in the car you are looking along the beam but in the Motorhome you are above it I think this is a lot of the problem.

Anyway overall well pleased, just need to tweak them down a bit.

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
I love the idea of printing a lamp holder! Ingenious! I think this will have to be my next acquisition. I’ve bought a few bits n pieces off Paulnchrissie and his quality is top notch. Still working my way around to getting the MoHo headlights sorted, it’s in storage and My priority at the moment is to find out why both batteries have lost ALL their charge! Hey Ho! Keep up the good work peeps! :xThumb:

Cheers!

Russ

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
One thing I forgot to mention and I've just been and double checked.
With the LED's the DLR's don't turn off just go slightly dimmer, with the halogen bulbs they turn off as they are supposed to.

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
One thing I forgot to mention and I've just been and double checked.
With the LED's the DLR's don't turn off just go slightly dimmer, with the halogen bulbs they turn off as they are supposed to.
My van dims the running lights in both scenarios. Which van is broken 😆
529DFEFB-99BE-4281-9D0B-D51EF4C2BF70.jpeg

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Bad news folks. Just had MoT and... (the naysayers and told-you-sos will love this!)...failed on only two counts, both to do with headlights:

Light source incompatible with headlamps, and

Beam pattern non-compliant.

The technician was amazing. Took me into the bay and explained, using the MoT tester’s guide book, what the ideal pattern should look like. He then put ordinary halogens into one side and left the LEDs on the other, put the beam setters on and showed me the difference. The LEDs had an awful beam pattern which looked a bit like a bow tie, with nothing in the middle.

He said he owned a Ducato-based MH and had fitted Osram Nightbreamer Lasers, the latest iteration. He was sure I’d notice a major difference so I gave the go-ahead to fit the laser nightbreakers on both sides.

Astonishingly, the nightbreakers gave far better light than the LEDs. I can actually see where I’m going now (although I only have the authorised journey back from the MoT garage as proof) and I’m delighted with the result.

I was so hopeful that these Katur LEDs would be the answer, but they were not, unfortunately.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Bad news folks. Just had MoT and... (the naysayers and told-you-sos will love this!)...failed on only two counts, both to do with headlights:

The technician was amazing. Took me into the bay and explained, using the MoT tester’s guide book, what the ideal pattern should look like. He then put ordinary halogens into one side and left the LEDs on the other, put the beam setters on and showed me the difference. The LEDs had an awful beam pattern which looked a bit like a bow tie, with nothing in the middle.

He said he owned a Ducato-based MH and had fitted Osram Nightbreamer Lasers, the latest iteration. He was sure I’d notice a major difference so I gave the go-ahead to fit the laser nightbreakers on both sides.

Astonishingly, the nightbreakers gave far better light than the LEDs. I can actually see where I’m going now (although I only have the authorised journey back from the MoT garage as proof) and I’m delighted with the result.

I was so hopeful that these Katur LEDs would be the answer, but they were not, unfortunately.
Not good, what type of headlamps do you have as the beam pattern with my projector lamps looks fine same as the halogen.
Did you rotate the LED's to get the best beam pattern?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Brilliant posts thank you for sharing your experiences.

you mention the Osram Laser, this link may help owners find the right replacement Osram Bulb ( I suspect Osram may have a sudden spate of orders for these )

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Lenny HB They are reflector units (Ducato X250) and rotating did not help at all. The beam pattern was a bit like a bow tie when viewed through the beam setter, so there was no light in the centre where it is most needed, then it spread out on both sides.

The MoT exemplar diagrams showing what the beam pattern should look like was a bit like the bottom half of a circle with a flip-up ‘eyelash’ on the left hand side.

The Nightbreaker laser gen 2 pattern was exactly compliant and, as I say, actually give a much better light than the LEDs because of this, despite not being as bright.

The Katurs are going back to Amazon as unfit for purpose and the nightbreakers cost about the same, so at least it’s cost neutral...and I now have an MoT cert. Bless her, she flew through the rest of the test without even an advisory.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Not good, what type of headlamps do you have as the beam pattern with my projector lamps looks fine same as the halogen.
Did you rotate the LED's to get the best beam pattern?
You might be OK Lenny, if your projector lenses correct the beam sufficiently. Maybe if you can find a friendly garage that will put the beam setters on for you, it can be double-checked before it comes to test time?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
They are reflector units (Ducato X250) and rotating did not help at all. The beam pattern was a bit like a bow tie when viewed through the beam setter, so there was no light in the centre where it is most needed, then it spread out on both sides.
A couple of the videos where people have tested them said they didn't think they were worth fitting to reflector headlamps.
You might be OK Lenny, if your projector lenses correct the beam sufficiently. Maybe if you can find a friendly garage that will put the beam setters on for you, it can be double-checked before it comes to test time?
Yes I think I can get that done.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Brilliant posts thank you for sharing your experiences.

you mention the Osram Laser, this link may help owners find the right replacement Osram Bulb ( I suspect Osram may have a sudden spate of orders for these )

The Osram Night Breaker Unlimited come out better on tests.
Although the video is testing the Osram Night Breaker Lasers, but if your look at his graphs, the Unlimited come out on top

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I only want to use the leds for the white light they give off and if the performance is as good as a filament competitor then that's fine always get that orange ting with filament bulbs.

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004

If this the cure for being anxious whilst driving in the dark in the motor home I will be absolutely delighted. I was beginning to think I would have to buy a new mh and order LED lights to get what I wanted.
Ok not fitted yet but hopefully you’ve saved me a fortune.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just had a word with the man (my daughters neighbor) who MOT'd my car yesterday, can't get the van in his workshop as the road is too narrow but he didn't reckon there would be any problem with the beam pattern after I explained it to him.
If you look at the photo's in my post #204 you can see they are hardly any different to the halogens.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
The Osram Night Breaker Unlimited come out better on tests.
Although the video is testing the Osram Night Breaker Lasers, but if your look at his graphs, the Unlimited come out on top

The technician mentioned the unlimiteds, but they have apparently been superseded by the laser 2nd gen. The ones he fitted are rated 150%, not 120% as in the vid. They are the most powerful legally available bulbs afaik. They also came out top in a review I read before deciding (Auto Express?).

https://www.nightbreaker.co.uk/night-breaker-laser-gen-2

All I can say is that they have made a phenomenal difference which was immediately obvious on the way back from the MoT garage last night.

If it helps anyone else, then brilliant.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Just had a word with the man (my daughters neighbor) who MOT'd my car yesterday, can't get the van in his workshop as the road is too narrow but he didn't reckon there would be any problem with the beam pattern after I explained it to him.
If you look at the photo's in my post #204 you can see they are hardly any different to the halogens.
It would be interesting to hear how you get on at MoT time, and would certainly reassure others with projector lenses who’ve opted for the Katurs. Fingers crossed for you.

At least it’s good knowing that the Nightbreaker laser 2s work out about the same cost and are guaranteed to be acceptable.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Don't know what the latest generations of Nightbreakers are like but the 1st & 2nd gen although good light they had a short life as they are basically an overdriven bulb. Probably not a problem in a Motorhome as you tend to sleep in it a night and not drive.
I used to sell nightbreakers often got complaints about the life, gave up using them in my car as they only lasted 6 months.

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Don't know what the latest generations of Nightbreakers are like but the 1st & 2nd gen although good light they had a short life as they are basically an overdriven bulb. Probably not a problem in a Motorhome as you tend to sleep in it a night and not drive.
I used to sell nightbreakers often got complaints about the life, gave up using them in my car as they only lasted 6 months.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
The Osram site does suggest that overall life is lower than a normal halogen, so I reckon you’re right. However, the superb lighting while they last, coupled with the point you make about them mostly being off at night makes it worth a go, methinks.

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
overall life is lower than a normal halogen
Really interesting thread and prompted me to have a look around. Philips also make a couple of bulbs (RacingVision and X-tremeVision) which look similar to the Osram bulb(s). In the many reviews of bulbs longevity was compromised so it will be interesting to hear how you get on with them - keep a spare handy!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Spoke to my MOT man that does the car (can't do Motormomes), he said providing the headlamp unit is "E" marked and the beam pattern is correct it will pass, they are not going to disassemble the headlamp to check the bulbs, not got time and doesn't think it's allowed.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Spoke to my MOT man that does the car (can't do Motormomes), he said providing the headlamp unit is "E" marked and the beam pattern is correct it will pass, they are not going to disassemble the headlamp to check the bulbs, not got time and doesn't think it's allowed.
I'd have thought you can see the bulb without disassembly.
I've got LED daytime bulbs in the car so I hope they aren't pedantic enough to bother 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back