DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Very sorry to hear your news. It's a horrible disease and usually not picked up due to lack of symptoms until late.

It is not for me to advise but remember what Steve Jobs said "I wish I had started conventional treatment earlier" after trying various alternative treatments for his cancer.

I had a friend who went through chemo a couple of years ago and he didn't find it too bad. The latest treatments are better than the older stuff. But of course it isn't me who has the diagnosis and there is no point in hiding from the fact that statistically the outlook is pretty grim for this particular form of cancer. That isn't meant to be blunt because I suspect your husband has done his research before making his decision and knows the figures.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Terrible news for you both and as you posted , thank goodness you have lived life to the full.
Its a disease that scares me as I worked with white asbestos sheet on buildings fifty years ago.

My thoughts are with you.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
As all the previous posts say, it's a very difficult time for you both, selling up your together hobbies must be very hard, life can sometimes be so very tough and the older we all become the tougher it seems to get.
Our thoughts are with you both.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Genuinely desperately sorry to hear this ! My best mate had that very disease caused from when we worked together some 40 years ago. We as part of our job re lined brake shoes and that is where Mark contracted asbestos.

You have my sincere very best wishes !
That's something I also had to do when an apprentice motor mechanic, my mate Les contracted the disease a few years ago being a truck mechanic, makes you wonder what's developing inside us.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
my sincere best wishes to you both.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
The very best of wishes. A very upbeat attitude to some sad news. What ever lies ahead I am sure your positivity will see you through.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sorry I can't say anything to take away the pain your feeling, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
How awful for you both. You really don't know what's around the corner. Make the most of everyday. X

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Cobweb,
I feel unable to add more to what has already been said here, my best wishes to you both for the future.
Norman.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
What an awful situation.

You have our greatest sympathy and best wishes for the future.

Your appreciation of the good years since your retirement echoes our experience. We have seen too many of our friends succumb to illness while working, or soon after retirement.

If there was something constructive we could do to help, at a distance, we would. In the meantime be together.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
So sorry to read your post - very best of luck to you.

I can't even begin to imagine what you are both going through but as others have said, if you need it, there is a lot of support on here.

X

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
There is nothing more to say that hasn't been said already.

Keep strong and support each other.

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Wow ! I am moved and overwhelmed by the response and PMs from all of you good people . Husbands decision of no chemo may not be cast in stone but as our oncologist said it may only add 3 months to the life expectancy ....which is not exactly selling the idea to us . At the moment husband is still well enough to do most things but we cannot make any plans past 4 weeks at the time . I am constantly scouring the Internet for a cure and it seems that the drug Keytruda which has been successful for Mavis might the the way to go in the future but it is not currently available on the NHS and apparently only 20%
of people would be suitable for that treatment anyway . Statistically most people with mesothelioma will be very lucky to live past 2 years and only 8% make it
past 5 years . Some very rare cases have made it past 10 years mostly in the USA and Australia where it seems that the doctors offer a bit more hope rather than
"Get your affairs in order ...you might have 5-15 months " that our oncologist had on offer. We have managed to put most of our affairs in order and have discussed the more upsetting subjects now with our Macmillan nurse and GP so that we know what to do if things get worse .....but for the time being we can lock it all away and enjoy the here and now the best we can .

Enjoy your motorhoming sooner rather than later .

Regards Cobweb

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thank you for posting, a brave, frank and realistic post.

Please stay on Motorhome Fun as you'll never know when you may need brightening up and sometimes the post on Fun can raise a smile or a titter

Good luck, I respect your openness in your posts

God bless

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Cobweb.. All our thoughts are with you..
DONT leave the Club, follow other folks travels vicariously, the goodwill may help you and you will ALWAYS have people to talk to who are "tuned" to both your troubles and the lifestyle you have pursued..
.XX.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I can only echo the many replies which I hope will be of some help, but I do wish you all the very best, and hope you will stay part of the forum if you have the time.
In my thoughts and payers. (((hugs)))

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
A touching post.. so sad.. may you both find the strength to overcome what you have to face..
Kind regards Andy.

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
As many have said on here, am very very sorry to hear. I hope and pray that you continue to enjoy everything together for as long as possible.. Keep strong for each other and don't give in. Our thoughts are with you...

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
So very sorry to read your brave post, nothing I can add that has not been said but I would say don't leave the forum use it as a place to come to when you just need some where to ask a question , let off a bit of steam and positively share the good days, it's a open door, leave it on the latch.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Wow ! I am moved and overwhelmed by the response and PMs from all of you good people . Husbands decision of no chemo may not be cast in stone but as our oncologist said it may only add 3 months to the life expectancy ....which is not exactly selling the idea to us . At the moment husband is still well enough to do most things but we cannot make any plans past 4 weeks at the time . I am constantly scouring the Internet for a cure and it seems that the drug Keytruda which has been successful for Mavis might the the way to go in the future but it is not currently available on the NHS and apparently only 20%
of people would be suitable for that treatment anyway . Statistically most people with mesothelioma will be very lucky to live past 2 years and only 8% make it
past 5 years . Some very rare cases have made it past 10 years mostly in the USA and Australia where it seems that the doctors offer a bit more hope rather than
"Get your affairs in order ...you might have 5-15 months " that our oncologist had on offer. We have managed to put most of our affairs in order and have discussed the more upsetting subjects now with our Macmillan nurse and GP so that we know what to do if things get worse .....but for the time being we can lock it all away and enjoy the here and now the best we can .

Enjoy your motorhoming sooner rather than later .

Regards Cobweb

I think your courage and the courage of you man that is tangible through your words is incredible and inspiring.
As I mentioned above my best mate a mate since childhood went through this very situation. He chose not to do chemo . He was just the nicest person one could ever meet and he too was very courageous . We had some laughs and tears and I'm not ashamed to say that either. It was his courage and attitude that carried not only him but his family and me through the situation.

A wonderful man who remains an inspiration.. It was without doubt that courage and determination that carried him on so well.

The Macmillan nurses are exceptional people so make the best of them .

Again my sincere best wishes....

Charlie.

Last edited:

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
reading you post cobweb has underlined that my decision to quit the job next year is the right one , we want an adventure before we cant have one , i have another 10 years of the grind before i reach pensionable age but what the hell ,i dont know what fate has in store for me . Ive not led the most healthy of life styles , and ive worked in a lot of areas that had asbestos.
I think that you are both being very brave , sounds like you both have had some great adventures.
My dad told me that finding out that his tumor was terminal said," look on the bright side ,it gives you time to say a proper good bye"
good wishes to the both of you ,remember all those great times that you have had together , we will pray for you both

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Do not listen to the oncologist.
My sister has secondary breast cancer that has spread.
She was given only a short time to live
Instead of acceptance she decided to get any and all treatments she could
It will never be cured but it has been stopped in its tracks..
From thinking it was all over she is planning her 2017 holiday in America .. and has just bought a new car !

Fight it.. for goodness sake fight it.. Do not let it win, do not give up, do not let your mind do a job on you. You CAN hold it back even if you canna beat it completely

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Good luck with your battle both of you keep your chins up our thoughts are with you brave folk.

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
I would like to wish you all the luck in the world, you both deserve it and I am so pleased you are staying so positive and exploring every option even down to diet which I believe can make such a difference, true love is staying strong as you both are doing, you are so lucky to have that, and I hope you enjoy every day together,

Love Lynne x

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
So sorry to hear your sad news and we wish you all the best.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back