Last post ....maybe .

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Cobweb, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Cobweb

Cobweb

End of an era . Our beloved Motorhome was sold this morning . The reason being that my husband was diagnosed with Mesothelioma in October . It all started during our last trip in Germany when after one of our cycling trips husband thought that he had pulled a muscle lifting my new electric bike into the van . It did not bother him too much but after the trip when we cycled up a killer hill he felt unusually breathless and decided to go to our GP about it . We were absolutely gutted when we got the diagnosis of Mesothelioma after a biopsy...we could not think of how or where he could have been exposed to asbestos but since it can take up to 50 years to develop who can tell . I have been in touch and read the blog of the amazing Funster Mavis Nye who has survived mesothelioma for nearly 7 years .
    She is a true inspiration but alas not enough to encourage my husband to start chemo.
    The reason may be that he was feeling fit and healthy at the time of the diagnosis and did not want chemo since many friends have had a terrible time on it only to find that it has not worked. Whether it is the right decision I cannot tell but the one thing I know is that he absolutely hates hospitals and will not have the rest of his days taken up by appointments and having poison pumped into him . I am doing my best to keep positive and feed him supplements and super foods trying to boost his immune system . Our beloved Sailboat is up for sale in Florida as well . This upsets us terribly since this is the first winter in 20 years we have not been sailing in the West Indies or Bahamas . The British weather is also doing its worst to depress us .....at least we have not been flooded yet .!

All I can say is that we are so happy that we fully retired 8 years ago and had a wonderful
    time motorhoming in Europe and UK . In so many ways we have had our cake and eaten a great big chunk of it ......but hope that there are still some crumbs left to enjoy .

This site has been great over the years and I am sad to say Goodbye .

Like the song . ENJOY YOURSELVES IT IS LATER THAN YOU THINK !

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 52
  2. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

What a sad story, not much I can say apart from it's good to hear you are being so positive and thankful for the good times. We have only yesterday been to the funeral of a very close friend who battled Non Hodgkins for two years and lost her battle over Christmas. I too suffered a similar problem 4 years ago and are still here to tell the tale but it did make us take stock and enjoy whatever time we had left. There are options for your husband despite his horror of hospitals but that is something only he and you can decide. I wish you the best and hope there are plenty of good times ahead.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Bill_OR

Bill_OR Funster

@Cobweb - sorry to hear the bad news. Nothing I can say will help and all you can do is to 'be there' and help your husband to follow whatever path he chooses. We never know what's round the corner and, like you, I retired early - 'just in case' but hoping that it never happens ...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

So sorry to here your sad news! To loose all the hobbies you enjoy altogether must be terrible. I'm glad that you have had 8 wonderful years of adventures and that you will have great memories to help in the dark times. Send best wishes to you both .

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I am sorry to read your post.

I do understand where your husband is coming from.

Best of luck to both of you.

• Like Like x 3
  6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Very best of luck, I hate writing these words but cant say nothing

Thinking about you both

• Like Like x 1
  7. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

I'm so sorry to read this @Cobweb . It's fantastic that your husband is able to make his own decision about his care. It seems his decision is going to be very hard for you, but I imagine that he's trying to save both himself and you from further distress, and enable you both to continue to enjoy yourselves - I hope it's more than a few "crumbs" you still have in front of you. You'll certainly have some great memories, loves and laughs to share.
    Best wishes to you both.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jandek

Jandek Funster

Sorry to read your post. Sending very best wishes .

9. wingman

wingman Funster

Wow! That has brought me down to earth with a bump. What an awful thing to hear. Don't know you both and we've never met BUT you will both be in my thoughts and prayers.

The shock must be enormous and of course, this is early days. I'm not sure about other treatment and care, but hope that there is an alternative?

I've heard of people getting this illness in all sort of ways; even from brake dust when blowing dust away from the linings during garage work.

As an aside, when I was 15 and 'factory fodder' I worked for the Tunnel Cement Company here in Essex. My job was making asbestos roof flashings. At the end of the day's hard work, my job was to sweep up. I shudder now when I think of the 'chevrons' that the broom made in the dust as I swept along the aisles and around racking. They gave me a milk bottle and water to sprinkle in the aisles to keep the dust down! Health & Safety laws would never allow that sort of exposure now without a respirator. Stories like yours haunt me to this day.

I send my love and thoughts.

James

PS. Please don't stop posting on here (if you feel up to it). Folk in this community post before they have an MH; nothing wrong with posting when you've sold one.

• Like Like x 19
  10. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

A terribly sad story. As James says, please do not say goodbye - there are so many good folks on here and hopefully you can draw on their experiences and find a small amount of comfort. I'm 49 and taking a year out out of the rat race precisely because we never know when it will become impossible to avoid health issues.
    As you so rightly say, ENJOY YOURSELF - it just might be later than you think.
    My thoughts are with you and good wishes.
    Jacquie

• Like Like x 4
  11. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

What a sad story. So sorry for you. Remember those good times, they might just help you both through the difficult times ahead. :hi::hi:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

Sometimes life is so unfair,but dont leave MHF as there is a lot of freindship and support on here.its funny you know that on here even if you have never met someone you feel that they are your freind.
    our thoughts and best wishes are with you .
    Brian & Jo

• Like Like x 6
  13. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

It's times like these that make you realise how fickle life is - sometimes it seems so cruel and unfair.
    Our thoughts and best wishes will be with you both, through what must be very difficult times.

Robert and Lis

• Like Like x 1
  14. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I'm sorry to read what you've posted. One of my father's best friends succumbed to this illness after exposure to asbestos in the building trade very early in his career. Most of his working life was involved with new building development and was office-based so whatever got to him got to him young.

Your husband's decision to manage without the chemo is a brave one and I admire his spirit. You both seem to have the right idea about retirement too - it's one I fully endorse. My better half and I frequently remark that whatever comes next, and whenever it comes, we'll always be grateful for buying our motorhome when we did.

My best wishes for the next bit - try to stay positive, and keep living it to the full.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Charlie - Minton

Charlie - Minton Funster

A sad post.

Brightened up by your positive attitude.

Best wishes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Very sorry to read this Cobweb, tough times ahead for both of you. Wishing you lots of strength and resolve to get through it all.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

So sorry to hear this and I do hope this is not your last post, however, if it is I wish you courage, supporting arms, lots of love and ultimately I wish you both peace.

• Like Like x 4
  18. pigginchilli

pigginchilli Read Only Funster

This is very sad and puts little issues with our motorhome in to perspective! our best wishes nade and steve.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Managements dad was diagnosed with Mesothelioma a couple of years ago, and like your husband decided that he would have nothing to do with the Chemo type treatments. I wish you both the very best, because you have started to walk what will be a difficult road. Keep smiling, because he needs your support very much now.

• Like Like x 2
  20. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Yours is a very sad post. I wish you both all the best. If you feel up to posting there will be many on this forum who will be happy to help support you. Sending positive thoughts and prayers.

• Like Like x 3