Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
End of an era . Our beloved Motorhome was sold this morning . The reason being that my husband was diagnosed with Mesothelioma in October . It all started during our last trip in Germany when after one of our cycling trips husband thought that he had pulled a muscle lifting my new electric bike into the van . It did not bother him too much but after the trip when we cycled up a killer hill he felt unusually breathless and decided to go to our GP about it . We were absolutely gutted when we got the diagnosis of Mesothelioma after a biopsy...we could not think of how or where he could have been exposed to asbestos but since it can take up to 50 years to develop who can tell . I have been in touch and read the blog of the amazing Funster Mavis Nye who has survived mesothelioma for nearly 7 years .
She is a true inspiration but alas not enough to encourage my husband to start chemo.
The reason may be that he was feeling fit and healthy at the time of the diagnosis and did not want chemo since many friends have had a terrible time on it only to find that it has not worked. Whether it is the right decision I cannot tell but the one thing I know is that he absolutely hates hospitals and will not have the rest of his days taken up by appointments and having poison pumped into him . I am doing my best to keep positive and feed him supplements and super foods trying to boost his immune system . Our beloved Sailboat is up for sale in Florida as well . This upsets us terribly since this is the first winter in 20 years we have not been sailing in the West Indies or Bahamas . The British weather is also doing its worst to depress us .....at least we have not been flooded yet .!

All I can say is that we are so happy that we fully retired 8 years ago and had a wonderful
time motorhoming in Europe and UK . In so many ways we have had our cake and eaten a great big chunk of it ......but hope that there are still some crumbs left to enjoy .

This site has been great over the years and I am sad to say Goodbye .

Like the song . ENJOY YOURSELVES IT IS LATER THAN YOU THINK !

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
What a sad story, not much I can say apart from it's good to hear you are being so positive and thankful for the good times. We have only yesterday been to the funeral of a very close friend who battled Non Hodgkins for two years and lost her battle over Christmas. I too suffered a similar problem 4 years ago and are still here to tell the tale but it did make us take stock and enjoy whatever time we had left. There are options for your husband despite his horror of hospitals but that is something only he and you can decide. I wish you the best and hope there are plenty of good times ahead.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@Cobweb - sorry to hear the bad news. Nothing I can say will help and all you can do is to 'be there' and help your husband to follow whatever path he chooses. We never know what's round the corner and, like you, I retired early - 'just in case' but hoping that it never happens ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
So sorry to here your sad news! To loose all the hobbies you enjoy altogether must be terrible. I'm glad that you have had 8 wonderful years of adventures and that you will have great memories to help in the dark times. Send best wishes to you both .

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Very best of luck, I hate writing these words but cant say nothing

Thinking about you both

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm so sorry to read this @Cobweb . It's fantastic that your husband is able to make his own decision about his care. It seems his decision is going to be very hard for you, but I imagine that he's trying to save both himself and you from further distress, and enable you both to continue to enjoy yourselves - I hope it's more than a few "crumbs" you still have in front of you. You'll certainly have some great memories, loves and laughs to share.
Best wishes to you both.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Sorry to read your post. Sending very best wishes .

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Wow! That has brought me down to earth with a bump. What an awful thing to hear. Don't know you both and we've never met BUT you will both be in my thoughts and prayers.

The shock must be enormous and of course, this is early days. I'm not sure about other treatment and care, but hope that there is an alternative?

I've heard of people getting this illness in all sort of ways; even from brake dust when blowing dust away from the linings during garage work.

As an aside, when I was 15 and 'factory fodder' I worked for the Tunnel Cement Company here in Essex. My job was making asbestos roof flashings. At the end of the day's hard work, my job was to sweep up. I shudder now when I think of the 'chevrons' that the broom made in the dust as I swept along the aisles and around racking. They gave me a milk bottle and water to sprinkle in the aisles to keep the dust down! Health & Safety laws would never allow that sort of exposure now without a respirator. Stories like yours haunt me to this day.

I send my love and thoughts.

James

PS. Please don't stop posting on here (if you feel up to it). Folk in this community post before they have an MH; nothing wrong with posting when you've sold one.

YukonJac

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Normandy, France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
30yrs +
A terribly sad story. As James says, please do not say goodbye - there are so many good folks on here and hopefully you can draw on their experiences and find a small amount of comfort. I'm 49 and taking a year out out of the rat race precisely because we never know when it will become impossible to avoid health issues.
As you so rightly say, ENJOY YOURSELF - it just might be later than you think.
My thoughts are with you and good wishes.
Jacquie

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
What a sad story. So sorry for you. Remember those good times, they might just help you both through the difficult times ahead. :hi::hi:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Sometimes life is so unfair,but dont leave MHF as there is a lot of freindship and support on here.its funny you know that on here even if you have never met someone you feel that they are your freind.
our thoughts and best wishes are with you .
Brian & Jo

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It's times like these that make you realise how fickle life is - sometimes it seems so cruel and unfair.
Our thoughts and best wishes will be with you both, through what must be very difficult times.

Robert and Lis

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'm sorry to read what you've posted. One of my father's best friends succumbed to this illness after exposure to asbestos in the building trade very early in his career. Most of his working life was involved with new building development and was office-based so whatever got to him got to him young.

Your husband's decision to manage without the chemo is a brave one and I admire his spirit. You both seem to have the right idea about retirement too - it's one I fully endorse. My better half and I frequently remark that whatever comes next, and whenever it comes, we'll always be grateful for buying our motorhome when we did.

My best wishes for the next bit - try to stay positive, and keep living it to the full.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
A sad post.

Brightened up by your positive attitude.

Best wishes.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Very sorry to read this Cobweb, tough times ahead for both of you. Wishing you lots of strength and resolve to get through it all.

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
This is very sad and puts little issues with our motorhome in to perspective! our best wishes nade and steve.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Managements dad was diagnosed with Mesothelioma a couple of years ago, and like your husband decided that he would have nothing to do with the Chemo type treatments. I wish you both the very best, because you have started to walk what will be a difficult road. Keep smiling, because he needs your support very much now.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Yours is a very sad post. I wish you both all the best. If you feel up to posting there will be many on this forum who will be happy to help support you. Sending positive thoughts and prayers.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Oh that's very sad news. I had a very good friend who said if he had known how ill the chemo made him feel he would never have undertook the course. As your hubby says hospital rules your time and makes you feel so bad and I applaud him for making the decision and hope you both enjoy your time together as best you can.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Genuinely desperately sorry to hear this ! My best mate had that very disease caused from when we worked together some 40 years ago. We as part of our job re lined brake shoes and that is where Mark contracted asbestos.

You have my sincere very best wishes !

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sometimes life is so unfair,but dont leave MHF as there is a lot of freindship and support on here.its funny you know that on here even if you have never met someone you feel that they are your freind.
our thoughts and best wishes are with you .
Brian & Jo

I agree with Brian and Jo. Please don't leave the forum, there is a great deal of support on here, and even if the van has gone you still have a lot in common with everyone on here. You don't even have to post if you don't want to, but there is lots to read to cheer you up on a dark day - even if it's @old-mo jokes!

We have a lot of friends who have had 'asbestosis' - it truly is a ticking time bomb in this country.

All our love and best wishes,

Ger and Cliff x

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Heartbreaking news.. really feel for you both..
admire your courage for posting so honestly..

none of us know what lies ahead.. best wishes for the future..

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I really cannot add to all that has been said, I agree with Ger in the last post but selling your sailboat in Florida is going to hurt, I had a tear in my eye when mine went.

I wish you well and have to agree with your hubby and his decision Not to have Chemo. Please don't leave the Forum, lots of support on here.

Thinking of you.......Griff

Camping Parc Verger

Free Member
Jul 3, 2015
New Owners Of Parc Verger From 1st July 2015
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
over 25 years
Sorry to hear your news.

It is a shame that you will not be Motorhoming any more.

Lisa and I were looking forward to you giving us a visit and an opportunity for you to experience the warm welcome you would have been given now that we have taken over Parc Verger on July 2015.

We wish you both well.

Franc and Lisa
Camping Parc verger

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Crikey ! @Cobweb :( I am sorry to hear this. My best wishes to both of you :)

We all worry about 'the small stuff', this puts things in perspective ........

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
So very saddened to read your post. Your husband is very brave and it must be so stressful for you. He will have good days and bad. Hopefully, in the good days you will be able to create happy memories together to help you through the bad days. We wish you both well. Please don't leave the forum.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back