Kirkstone Pass/Wrynose Pass

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Chris65, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Chris65

Chris65 Read Only Funster

We are off for our first overnight stay of this year. Really looking forward to it. We are staying in Patterdale Cumbria. Google maps takes us through Bradford and enters the Lakes from the South. We usually enter from the North which we find a more enjoyable drive even though it is further! If we enter from the South we will go on Kirkstone Pass. Is this suitable for a van conversion? We once drove on Wrynose Pass in a S reg Punto and I sh.....t myself. :shout: It was nerve wracking and even my partner admitted at the end he was worried if the brakes failed or the tyres blew!!! Dont really want to experience anything remotely like that again so what do you all think. North or South please?

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I did Kirkstone pass in a VW camper some years ago. No prob :thumb:

3. lorger

lorger Funster

I have done it a few times we i had the caravan and also done it once with the motorhome you will also see coaches on it so as long as you take your time i cant see you having a problem.

4. Chris65

Thanks for your replies. If coaches go on it it must be nothing like Wrynose Pass!!!! Aparently, according to Google maps its cheaper in diesel and I must admit looking on the internet it does look beautiful so hopefully I can keep my eyes open with this one :Wink:. Thanks to you both :thumb:

5. blamehofman

blamehofman Read Only Funster

Yes the Kirkstone pass is a lot more user friendly than the Wrynose/Hardknott pass , but I did get stuck there once when 2 buses going either way got wedged together trying to pass each other .

• Like Like x 1
  6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Millers Field Ambleside.

Suggest you try this. Excellent simple aire type site. Excellent village.

7. sedge

sedge Funster

Only been across it on a motorbike and like most of the rest of the Lake District, :Eeek: drystone walls on either side. Even on a motorbike with some of the knob-heads coming the other way, I had to breathe in several times. But that happens on the flattish roads too anyway! - at least you can see across the walls and hedges in a van!

8. buttons

buttons Funster

We normally go over both passes each time we are in the lakes. That is in my VW camper no probs, however, if it is icy, Beware, you will lose traction and get into a predicament, absolutely no doubt about it. This time of the year it will probably have some hard slippery water, not much fun if you start to slide back down the hill. However don't let me put you off.:Rofl1:

9. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

kirkstone pass

So did I but my wife has never been the same:Wink:

10. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Lakes Passes

Went through thr Kirkstone/Wrynose passes a lot of years ago in my Bedford CF hightop van, got wheelspin on one particular sharp uphill R/H bend, but no probs other than that, love all the passes on a motorcycle. heaven. !!:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chris65

Thanks Hilldweller, thought about the aire but being novices I am a little confused on wattage use without an hook up. Hope to pick up advice at the Newark Rally :Smile:

Blamehofman - nice to know Kirkstone Pass is NOT like Wrynose pass!!!

Buttons - Could it really be that bad? Maybe we should come from the north?

Decisions, decisions :cry:

• Like Like x 1
  12. blamehofman

blamehofman Read Only Funster

One thing to consider though is the weather , because the pass climbs to a height of 1,500 ft it can be hazardous this time of year , and the weather forecast is not good for Cumbria this weekend , you could always get to Patterdale from the Glenridding side but that would mean coming in from the M6 exiting at Penrith but no passes to pass :thumb:

13. Madmark62

Madmark62 Read Only Funster

I have not been on that road during winter, but I have driven a 7.5 ton truck on it in summer!!

14. Chris65

I didnt know it climbed to 1,500ft and I know the temperature is going to drop so bearing what you have said in mind I think we will enter from the North. We have visited the Lakes a lot staying in B and B's and hotels (this is the first visit of many I hope in our van) so we know the weather is a big player thats why I dont want to make a big mistake before we even get there. I cant stress how bad the Wrynose Pass was :Eek!:. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  15. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

16. Chris65

• Like Like x 1
  17. Soaringman

Soaringman Funster

Hi
    we live at the Windermere end of The Kirkstone pass, they drive single decker buses to paterdale from here so no probs with the van. However watch the weather forcast, it has been closed once this year because of snow. Otherwise stunning scenery. If you do get stuck come for a coffee at www.thewillowsmere.com

18. Chris65

Well we managed to drive it ok. We entered the campsite from the north but crossed the pass on Sunday to Ambleside. There was ice on the road in places but the majority of the road was fine. Had a fantastic time, all cosy in our van even though the temperature did drop and there had been wintery showers. Thanks again to you all for your comments and advise and even invitations for coffee. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1