Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
We are off for our first overnight stay of this year. Really looking forward to it. We are staying in Patterdale Cumbria. Google maps takes us through Bradford and enters the Lakes from the South. We usually enter from the North which we find a more enjoyable drive even though it is further! If we enter from the South we will go on Kirkstone Pass. Is this suitable for a van conversion? We once drove on Wrynose Pass in a S reg Punto and I sh.....t myself. :shout: It was nerve wracking and even my partner admitted at the end he was worried if the brakes failed or the tyres blew!!! Dont really want to experience anything remotely like that again so what do you all think. North or South please?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have done it a few times we i had the caravan and also done it once with the motorhome you will also see coaches on it so as long as you take your time i cant see you having a problem.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Thanks for your replies. If coaches go on it it must be nothing like Wrynose Pass!!!! Aparently, according to Google maps its cheaper in diesel and I must admit looking on the internet it does look beautiful so hopefully I can keep my eyes open with this one :winky:. Thanks to you both :thumb:

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Yes the Kirkstone pass is a lot more user friendly than the Wrynose/Hardknott pass , but I did get stuck there once when 2 buses going either way got wedged together trying to pass each other .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Millers Field Ambleside.

Suggest you try this. Excellent simple aire type site. Excellent village.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Only been across it on a motorbike and like most of the rest of the Lake District, :Eeek: drystone walls on either side. Even on a motorbike with some of the knob-heads coming the other way, I had to breathe in several times. But that happens on the flattish roads too anyway! - at least you can see across the walls and hedges in a van!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We normally go over both passes each time we are in the lakes. That is in my VW camper no probs, however, if it is icy, Beware, you will lose traction and get into a predicament, absolutely no doubt about it. This time of the year it will probably have some hard slippery water, not much fun if you start to slide back down the hill. However don't let me put you off.:ROFLMAO:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Lakes Passes

Went through thr Kirkstone/Wrynose passes a lot of years ago in my Bedford CF hightop van, got wheelspin on one particular sharp uphill R/H bend, but no probs other than that, love all the passes on a motorcycle. heaven. !!:thumb:

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Thanks Hilldweller, thought about the aire but being novices I am a little confused on wattage use without an hook up. Hope to pick up advice at the Newark Rally :Smile:

Blamehofman - nice to know Kirkstone Pass is NOT like Wrynose pass!!!

Buttons - Could it really be that bad? Maybe we should come from the north?

Decisions, decisions :cry:

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Thanks Hilldweller, thought about the aire but being novices I am a little confused on wattage use without an hook up. Hope to pick up advice at the Newark Rally :Smile:

Blamehofman - nice to know Kirkstone Pass is NOT like Wrynose pass!!!

Buttons - Could it really be that bad? Maybe we should come from the north?

Decisions, decisions :cry:

One thing to consider though is the weather , because the pass climbs to a height of 1,500 ft it can be hazardous this time of year , and the weather forecast is not good for Cumbria this weekend , you could always get to Patterdale from the Glenridding side but that would mean coming in from the M6 exiting at Penrith but no passes to pass :thumb:

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
One thing to consider though is the weather , because the pass climbs to a height of 1,500 ft it can be hazardous this time of year , and the weather forecast is not good for Cumbria this weekend , you could always get to Patterdale from the Glenridding side but that would mean coming in from the M6 exiting at Penrith but no passes to pass :thumb:

I didnt know it climbed to 1,500ft and I know the temperature is going to drop so bearing what you have said in mind I think we will enter from the North. We have visited the Lakes a lot staying in B and B's and hotels (this is the first visit of many I hope in our van) so we know the weather is a big player thats why I dont want to make a big mistake before we even get there. I cant stress how bad the Wrynose Pass was :whatthe:. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks Hilldweller, thought about the aire but being novices I am a little confused on wattage use without an hook up./QUOTE]

I don't know what your use or batteries are but we manage 3/4/5 days with a single 100Ah battery with some TV and heating.

Two nights in Ambleside, heating on all the time, some TV, charged netbook and it hardly made any impression on battery.

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
Thanks Hilldweller, thought about the aire but being novices I am a little confused on wattage use without an hook up./QUOTE]

I don't know what your use or batteries are but we manage 3/4/5 days with a single 100Ah battery with some TV and heating.

Two nights in Ambleside, heating on all the time, some TV, charged netbook and it hardly made any impression on battery.

That sounds really good. Is your tv etc low voltage? Our tv, kettle and electric heater are all normal household appliances although the kettle is only a travel kettle it does however have a sticker saying 240 volts. I presumed these would all be too powerful for a leisure battery. I dont know anything about it really. :Confused:

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Hi
we live at the Windermere end of The Kirkstone pass, they drive single decker buses to paterdale from here so no probs with the van. However watch the weather forcast, it has been closed once this year because of snow. Otherwise stunning scenery. If you do get stuck come for a coffee at www.thewillowsmere.com

OP
OP
Chris65

Chris65

Free Member
Oct 4, 2011
Castleford, West Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Newbie from 11/11/11
We are off for our first overnight stay of this year. Really looking forward to it. We are staying in Patterdale Cumbria. Google maps takes us through Bradford and enters the Lakes from the South. We usually enter from the North which we find a more enjoyable drive even though it is further! If we enter from the South we will go on Kirkstone Pass. Is this suitable for a van conversion? We once drove on Wrynose Pass in a S reg Punto and I sh.....t myself. :shout: It was nerve wracking and even my partner admitted at the end he was worried if the brakes failed or the tyres blew!!! Dont really want to experience anything remotely like that again so what do you all think. North or South please?

Well we managed to drive it ok. We entered the campsite from the north but crossed the pass on Sunday to Ambleside. There was ice on the road in places but the majority of the road was fine. Had a fantastic time, all cosy in our van even though the temperature did drop and there had been wintery showers. Thanks again to you all for your comments and advise and even invitations for coffee. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back