Just to say "Hi" in case you're missing me!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Minxy Girl, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Evening all ... currently in Portugal at Peso da Regua parked up a the motorhome parking/aire with quite a few other motorhomes, weather mostly hot and sunny, in the 30s, today it's been cooler (thank goodness!) and should be getting hotter again tomorrow! We've found a few of the MH stops on the Northern Spanish coast are no longer there - apparently something to do with a 500m rule that came in making it illegal for MHs to park within 500m of the beach ... not heard about this though so not sure if it is correct or not, but certainly a couple of the ones we used last year are no longer accessible. We passed through St Jean de Luz and emptied the toilet at the 'aire' there but it's now €2 for 40L of water an they charge you to park up for the night - this was always free and to be honest is the last place I'd ever want to stop, sandwiched literally between a main dual carriage way and the railway line but was a good place to park for a potter into town, but not now!

Our neighbour baked us a lovely LARGE lemon drizzle cake (a reward for me working on her garden for her) on the morning we were leaving the UK so we couldn't freeze any of it as it was still hot! We've JUST finished it off tonight ... that's 8 days!!! It was lovely though! :D I did take a photo but it's on my phone so will have to bluetooth it over to my laptop so I can post a picture ... for the time being you'll just have to use your imaginations! :LOL:

Off to bed now as a long day!

• Like Like x 26
  2. Bart

Bart Funster

Sounds nice Mel , lucky you!! , its a pity that some of the Aires are gone , have a great time :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Sounds good Mel, enjoy are you calling in on JJ. (y)

4. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Who are you ? And stop bothering me!

• Funny Funny x 8
  5. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Glad you are having a great holiday.(y)

6. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

And you are ??""??? Mel ? Mel who ? Haha lol...

7. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Mel with a Lemon Drizzle Cake.???

Get back to TGBBO. Don't you know there's ructions here.

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

That's deepest Portugal where you are. Most envious!

9. madgeD

madgeD Funster

Good to hear from you Mel, I hope you have plans to walk that lemon drizzle cake off lol . Keep us up to date with your trip and enjoy .xx

10. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

30 degrees ?
    You should get yourself a fan !

Enjoy your trip

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Minxy Girl

We are currently near Cascais on the Western coast not far from Lisbon (Lisboa) next to the beach having tried and failed to get to see Sintra ... it was manic to say the least! No where at all to park and a one-way system that's a blooming nightmare, gave up in the end which is unusual for us as we can usually find somewhere, and came to our current location instead and had a nice walk through the sand dunes on the board walks with the dogs then an 'illegal' potter on the small bit of beach near us after everyone had gone ... dogs not allowed but once we saw some locals doing it we though what the hell ... if it's 'bad' enough for them then it's bad enough for us! :X3:

I must make a confession though, since we scoffed the lovely lemon drizzle cake we've been missing our sweet treat each day and found out about the Portuguese speciality called 'pastel de nata' - its their take on an individual egg custard - puffed pastry case with egg custard in the middle instead of the short pastry we have in the UK. They're usually somewhere between €1 and €2,50 each but Lidl are doing them for 35c each! (y) We got a couple yesterday just to see what they are like and OMG .... yummie just doesn't cover it ... we could eat a barrow load! Today we went and got some more ... only 4 though as we felt if we bought any more we'd scoff them all in one go!!! So far we've managed to resist and only eat 2 of them and are saving the others for tomorrow ... hopefully! :X3:

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Minxy Girl

Oh, forgot to say we also had some sour cherry brandy and that was VERY nice and I don't drink!!! :rolleyes: Today we found some on offer for €2,99 a bottle so got one for us and a couple for pressies ... if they survive the rest of the holiday of course! :LOL:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. Jo662

Jo662 Funster

Lucky you!:)

Wish I was there!:X3::X3::X3:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Cascais... Another trip down memory lane, a few decades ago, last century... Cheap B&B, fresh sardines, Vino Verde, strawberries & cream to die for... Simple pleasures, long lost youth :crying:.

Lovin' it

• Like Like x 3
  15. Cleve

Cleve Funster

Enjoying your holiday Minxy Girl. Don't worry Langtoftlad, you will soon be able to grow down like me.

I got fed up of growing up and being sensible a while back and am now devoted to growing back down and being silly so that lost youth could be recaptured for you.

Just put my Abba vinyls away, if the diet goes well I could get back into my bell bottom trousers from '76 again, it's only a couple of inches, had hair over my shoulders, oh dear, nurse, nurse .....

• Funny Funny x 5
  16. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Sounds like you are having a great time and still finding the bargains!enjoy and safe travels!

17. Bart

Bart Funster

Lucky you's having a great time Mel :) , long may it continue ^^

18. Minxy Girl

Finally as promised a photo of the lovely lemon drizzle cake - it doesn't do it justice though as it was about 8 inches in diameter and 4 inches high when we started scoffing it!!!

Lemon drizzle cake.jpg

This is the new sweets on the block" ... pastel de nata ... 2 were left for today and hubby scoffed his 2 hours ago ... I'm just about to dive into mine!!!

pastel de nata.JPG

... and seeing as some of you love to see the photos of food being consumed on holiday, this is my own recipe Chinese sesame and chilli pork mince eaten in cos lettuce leaves, with packet savory rice and tinned sweetcorn ... if I do say so myself the pork was gorgeous!

sesame pork.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  19. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

Nandos do those little Natas, should the desire strike back in theUK.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. The Wino

The Wino Funster

If you get into Lisbon try to get to belem the tarts there are famous (I mean the eating kind)

• Funny Funny x 1