Just decided on this major life change! (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Welcome - you have come to the right place as lots of like minded people on here :) Admire your bold, brave decisions & look forward to hearing about your adventures. Ill health & life events made us take stock of our life & now both retired early as life really is too short & fed up of waiting to really live. Still have a long way to go to get our lives sorted but at least we have started.
Drying washing - sure you will get lots of tips on here but we have one of these & very useful
06306-01-_a.jpg

See http://www.fiamma.com/EN/products/carry-bike/accessories/easy_dry/
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-easy-dry.html - don't forget 10% Funster discount off all orders with code "funster2" from Johns Cross (y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Interesting plans you have there - I wish you well. We're not skiers but we've visited the huge winterised aire at Montgenevre on the French-Italian border and they seem to have it all sorted there as long as the approach roads are kept ice-free, so the facilities certainly exist for what you have in mind.

My father had Parkinson's, so my advice for what it's worth is plan ahead for increasingly reduced mobility - obviously it affects different people in different ways and the period of onset varies too. You might want to think carefully about the overcab bed option, and whether you'd be better off with a more open plan vehicle rather than one with too many narrow nooks and crannies, for example having a swivelling front passenger seat to make cab access easier. The nature of the vehicle's stepped access is also worth consideration. Don't get me wrong here - I'm not trying to rain on your parade. My dad was an ex-PE teacher who enjoyed a decent quality of life for a good long time after initial diagnosis in his mid-50s, it's just that manouevering around confined spaces did become increasingly difficult for him.

You should give serious thought to hiring one and seeing how you get on - it'll better inform your choices for when you buy.

Carpe diem and bon voyage (if you'll excuse the linguistic mix there).

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Sounds like a plan to me :clap2:
I wish you brave couple all the very best and hope your dreams are realised.
There are a lot of full timers on her so ask your questions and I'm sure you will receive lots of answers. Some of them may even be serious :whistle2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Brilliant intro.exciting times ahead for you both .this is indeed a great club and forum so enjoy it.have a great time travelling.welcome to MHF (y)
Brian & Jo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi and welcome.

Can I say if you intend living in it mostly full time a lit'lun isn't a good idea.
You will have very little living space, will be under each others feet and cabin fever will attack in. Couple of months.
At least with a fixed rear bed you have somewhere to relax on your own if you need some personal time.
A smaller van usually means less storage and you will be carrying most of your possessions with you.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Proceed with caution regards buy a van and you will be fine. Just need to engage your brain and not you heart and not get carried away with the excitement. Due diligence the name if the game. Once you ID the van, just get it checked out professionally, damp survey, weight test etc..you need a weighbridge ticket to see what available payload there is, plenty of vans out there with lamentable payloads.. will cost a few hundred but better to lose a few hundred than buy a right lemon

what have you seen that you like? are you confident of driving a big motorhome or would you rather stay within 3500kg, they are easier to live with

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Blimey must excited.....3-11am this morning, welcome to the funhouse.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Welcome , good luck van hunting. Hope it all works out for you. Loads on here full time do I'm sure you'll get loads of good advice.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I have driven an 8 seater Ford van and a Galaxy for many years as a childminder. I think I'll be ok driving a big ish one but we thought 4 berth max which would keep it smaller (maybe)
I like the layout of the Classic Mercedes silver star. I like that it's one shell so can't leak (acc to the ad!)
I would prefer a lower level fixed bed to minimise climbing.
Don't really like dinettes.
Hymer seems to be reliable .
These are just today's random ideas from reading on here.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You are definitely The Right Stuff - just get on with it, you'll obviously make it work. And if it's not as good as you hoped, so what, you had a go and cost will be little.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Trying to read a blog
Silly question but how do you get to the start? I don't really want to read it backwards. Tried scrolling back but some are so long it's hard to find start. Also Which is the best blog to start with do you think?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hi and Welcome.
First, you'll be able to drive a motorhome. If I can do it anyone can! Reversing camera is a big help.
I full timed for total of 1yr 9 months in my motorhome, just me, 2 dogs and 2 cats. Not everyone's idea of fun but I had no problems.
Elderly cat went outside on diets as she wasn't a dasher so was quite safe.
Freddie learnt to wear a harness and walked on a lead. It's not the easiest thing to do. He was quite a nervous cat so would try to shoot off in a different direction on the lead if done thing startled him.
Dogs were easy, good security alerts too.

Go for it while you can. None of us knows what the future holds and you can gave a great time together travelling now.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
When you find the layout you want ( and I'd recommend a low fixed bed as a ladder and Parkinson's may not ho together well) go for a good solar panel and plenty of weight allowance.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
A great decision - we lived in a 32' RV for nine years and loved every minute. There's much more space on French roads than in the UK, so enjoy your touring. Make sure you have double glazing and good insulation if you want to go skiing, and a fixed bed is great. There's so much for you to see as you tour, and we certainly got into 99% of places we wanted to visit - France in particular is great for all motorhomes.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
hello.jpg

I can't add anything to the advice that has already been given.

One of my Grandmother's had Parkinsons.

All I will say is enjoy every moment as yo never know what is round the corner - hope it is a huge lottery win :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Trying to read a blog
Silly question but how do you get to the start? I don't really want to read it backwards. Tried scrolling back but some are so long it's hard to find start. Also Which is the best blog to start with do you think?

Unfortunately, quite a few are like that, some are almost impossible without a degree in cryptology to find the start. You would think they would have a prominent "Previous entry" button or something like that - but many don't and you have to fiddle around looking at dates. :(
Broken Link Removed

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Trying to read a blog

Suppose it depends on which blog you are reading. You mention that s0me blog posts are very long, I could guess you are reading eric and shazza's Big Momma blog which is updated every 2 or 3 days with detailed posts and lots of photos. In most cases there is an 'archive' drop down menu where you can go back to any previous post.

Why not start you own blog? Try wordpress.com or BlogSpot.com, both easy to create a free blog.

Paul

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
welcome
i have found this forum invaluable in the process of buying and now the run up to collecting our van in April ( seriously nervous now!).
Exciting times though. What i find fascinating is how everyone makes their decision about their motorhome. Its great to hear all the different views and certainly helps in weighing up the pros and cons ( of size, bed type etc ) . For us it came down to beimg ultra impulsive and not a little naive...plus that elusive..oh yes this is definately the one we want FEELING ...a bit like buying a house. Only time will tell if it is the right decision.
Anyway, you will have fun choosing and hope tosee you some time :)

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Have you considered single beds? We are on our third van and decided that a full width rear bathroom and single beds suited us best. We have 4 seatbelts and if extra beds are needed we have a privacy room for the odd occasion, with camp beds.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Jackie & Martin
Lovely introduction, I can imagine how excited you both are with your travel plans and your purchase.
Good luck and keep letting us know how you are getting on. :)

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
There are a lot of similarites to our own situation , like you we decided to , just go for it . Within two weeks of buying our van we were off , two months and 3000 miles later we had been thro Holland , Belgium , Luxembourg ,France , spain and Andorra . Did I mention I like driving .
My son on hearing of our plans asked , "what if you get lost" , the reply was , "how can you get lost if you don't know where your going in the first place " .
All the luck in the world to you , you will love the life .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Welcome to the fun house Jackie and Martin. :)

Have you considered single beds? We are on our third van and decided that a full width rear bathroom and single beds suited us best. We have 4 seatbelts and if extra beds are needed we have a privacy room for the odd occasion, with camp beds.
That's exactly the layout I was about to suggest! This would mean that if one person is restless during the night the other won't be disturbed by their moving around, or if one is ill they are not disturbed by the 'well' party. It also makes getting/out easier for both people and a large bathroom across the rear is usually more spacious than a lot of side located ones, something which could prove to be important if one person needs assistance for showering etc in the future.

Whilst I can totally understand the urgency please do not RUSH into this too quickly as instead of it being a dream it could be a nightmare ... take your time, look at all the layouts, imaging living in a MH on a day to day basis such as how will you cook - do you need an oven and more than 2 rings on the hob, the size of fridge/freezer, bed size etc? Think of how you live at home and try to translate that into living in a MH where everything won't be necessarily instantly available ... eg water, you'll have to top it up every few days, empty waste water and the toilet cassette, then there's gas ... living in a van isn't always as easy as being at home with all the services 'on tap' (no pun intended!) without you having to remember to top them up!

Whilst I really hope you do what you are wanting to do turns out to be great, pre-planning and research is what matters to ensure you get as close to your dream as possible in reality.

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
:welc:from another happy couple in Norfolk. Have you visited Becks Motorhomes in Rollesby? They have a good selection of fixed bed type motorhomes to look at. We were put off some of the French bed models because of the steps up to the bed, or the narrow area around the double bed. We therefore chose the Burstner Nexxo t720 which has an end washroom and two single beds. Just one step to the dining area. Their current new model is quite pricey at £59,000 because it's automatic. Look at their website - becksmotorhomes.com They've got an open day coming up Saturday 7th March. It will give you some ideas before Peterborough.
We'll look out for you at Peterborough. :cheers: Pamela and Derek

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks Pamela and Derek for the tips.
We now plan to go to the open day!
Yes will definitely look out for you at Peterborough.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back