Just decided on this major life change!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jac Sprat, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Hi everybody
    We are Jackie (61) children's entertainer, home educator, currently childminder and Martin 67 retired molecular biologist for Smithkline Beecham.
    Last child of four leaving home in the summer so we have on a whim - decided to dive in and live the motor home lifestyle dream....
    We are going to sell the big house and buy a small flat for our student daughter where we would retain a room for a base. Yesterday we went up in the loft and threw away the artificial Xmas tree which was a start to our decluttering....
    This all came about through my skiing obsession and my suggestion to rent a ski pad for the whole season each winter in my retirement. On a hop and skip we extended that to the idea of travelling in a van for the rest of the time.
    We are at the very beginning of our plans having only decided a week ago to do this. And only 48 hours ago to go for it this year not next. We've already worn out the wii button watching you tube clips !
    Still figuring out basic things like van size - we know we want a loo, shower, and a fixed double bed (above driver's cab?) plus pull out couch for visitors and awning option, further than that open to ideas. We like the idea of being as small and flexible as possible - not a luxurious cruising beast but still comfortable enough and with four seat belts.
    Just decided to go to the Peterborough show to meet people and look at vans.
    Excited is not the word any more! We are like little children on Xmas eve and are annoying our kids by coming out with random musings like I 'I like the idea of not eating meat in the van' (Ali Kingston's book) or 'shall we carry skis or rent them?' Or 'who can have the cat and the chickens?'
    We bought a paper map of Europe but the dog kept walking on it on the floor so all we have vaguely decided is France and Italy this year, Greece next and Spain and Portugal the following......
    We are delighted to hear about the existence of aires - what a fab idea!
    We were going to take our dog for company and security but our daughter can't bear to lose us all at the same time so may keep him.
    I have so many questions but maybe the dog one first - if you did - are you glad you took one? Problems? Secondly how do you dry your clothes?
    Maybe I should start new threads with those questions.
    I forgot to say Martin was diagnosed with Parkinson's two years ago which is partly driving our haste to get going to make the best of his mobility . He already can't ski or drive any more but we are hoping he can still ride a bike as we want to take two with us. We were former unicyclists and jugglers (which he believes paved off the condition for many years)
    We live in Sheringham North norfolk.
    Sorry for long rambling intro.
    This seems like a fab group and I have just subscribed and have no doubt this will become our life line. Thank god for the internet :)
    - looking forward to chatting with you guys x

• Like Like x 30
  2. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

Good luck and welcome go for it

• Like Like x 1
  3. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

You sound like you have the enthusiasm to make it work - good on ya! We have been FT over 3 years and there are many on here who have done and are currently doing similar things !
    Good luck - and ask away!

• Like Like x 1
  4. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Welcome on board from Suffolk! (y):welc:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

I would say get a cheaper van to start with, so you can find out what is more important to you in a van. And try not too buy too many toys to start with.
    Also worth visiting as many dealers as you can to get an idea of layout.
    Good luck and welcome :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

Wish you all the best whatever you decide to do. Go for it you only live once. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daz n Tina

Daz n Tina Funster

Hi and welcome

• Like Like x 1
  8. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

I love your enthusiasm and instant decision making.
    You know what you want and are determined to make it happen.
    Now is the right time for you.
    I wish you all the luck in the world and I know you won't regret it.
    Buying a flat is a great idea as when you both need a break then you can go home for a while. After a week or so you will be ready to start all over again.

Good luck and welcome to FUN.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Wishing you both the very best of luck with your plans. You have made a good start by joining in the discussions here!

• Like Like x 1
  10. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Good morning Jackie n Martin and welcome to Fun(y)

Go for it, and I would say that Van layout is probably the most important consideration, it may be worth hiring a couple for a weekend or two to see how you get on with them, (We did) it might also be worth coming to one of the Funster Rallies and having a look though our vans to see what you think;)

And yes post loads of questions on the Forum and you will always get an answer, some of them might be way out there though as we have our fare share of mad bu**ers on here:confused::D

Anyway I do hope your dream comes true and please keep us posted, it may even be worth starting a Blog(y)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Momo

Momo Funster

Hi Jackie & Martin and welcome to the Fun!(y):welc:

• Like Like x 1
  12. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

Welcome from fellow Norfolk residents!:hi:

• Like Like x 1
  13. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Sounds like you should go for a fully winterized MH, even if you aren't going to go skiing you might like the idea of visiting the mountains in winter, otherwise it will be joining the hordes in Spain every winter!
    You might want to consider renting your house out rather than selling it, this is what some folk do and your hubby's condition is also a factor to be taken into account - depressing I know buy my father had Parkinsons and it stopped him getting about quite quickly. However, it strikes people differently so get out and get travelling while you can. :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Thank you for your kind replies.
    Lesleyjean - making instant decisions seems to be the style of my life and no I have never regretted it,
    Yes we are using that flat out daughter will be using as a base to sell when we finish travelling to move to where hopefully our (by then) grandchildren will be living.
    We will be renting a ski place every winter - martin won't ski but doesn't mind if I do plus the family will join us for ski holidays.
    Yes we have signed up for the Peterborough rally.
    Already am convinced to rent for a few weekends first now having read these posts. Thank you

15. Cat53

Cat53 Funster

It's good to have a plan. Good luck. Enjoy every moment.

• Like Like x 1
  16. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Hi and welcome to FUN the best forum on the net for all and any motorhome question. When you book in for Peterborough, book to join our section then you can meet many of us as well as see loads of vans, etc. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yorkshirefreckles

Yorkshirefreckles Funster

Hello to you both and welcome. If you have your own skis, you can get vans with ski lockers on the outside for storage. If you're going to Peterborough you'll be spoilt for choice - make sure you look at everything, including your neighbours on the rally field. I'm sure nobody will mind!

18. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Personally I would go for a fixed French bed layout or a fixed over garage....you don't want to be making beds up or climbing over things... If your intention is to live in it then size will matter the bigger you can cope with the better imo...have a look at a hobby 750...it may meet your requirements...again of you can cope with the size

• Like Like x 1
  19. Charlie - Minton

Charlie - Minton Funster

Welcome & good luck with your future plans :)

20. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Welcome! Blimey you are very decisive. :)

A few tips: get the right German van and you can happily and comfortably stay in ski resorts. You can buy adult stabilisers for bikes, no joke, just look on google. Consider centre drive e bikes, they cost a good bit more but excellent for hill climbing...

• Like Like x 1