January Skiing in Val Thorens (1 Viewer)

petensal

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2012
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since Sept 2009
Hi 1948

Our route is non toll roads

Dunkerque, E42, E411, Luxenbourg, Nancy, Vesoul, Besancon, Poligny, Gex, Annecy, LGB.

But plans change all the time you know what its like

What are your plans ?

Pete

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Hi 1948

Our route is non toll roads

Dunkerque, E42, E411, Luxenbourg, Nancy, Vesoul, Besancon, Poligny, Gex, Annecy, LGB.

But plans change all the time you know what its like

What are your plans ?

Pete
Hi pete
I use same route u use in previous trips , but found the short section though Belgium a bit uncomfortable , road surface not good , in fact found windscreen started to leak slightly from the bumping and shaking , (should have slowed down) Had to come back to uk last trip in a hurry so took toll road all the way to Calais Must admit that I quite enjoy the drive very good road quiet and fast Down side of course costed nearly 130euros. So still debating in my mind between burning a hole in my budget and get an extra day skiing(excellent condition at the moment) or non toll using up an extra day. will probably decide wednesday .

petensal

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2012
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since Sept 2009
Hi 48
Completely agree with what you say, on our last trip we used both routes. Got to admit that the worst bit was the road surface through Belgium, but on a budget 130 euros means an extra couple of days ski pass.

Another thought is the cost of diesel on the toll roads compared to Luxembourg.

Decisions decisions.

Have a good trip either way, maybe see you there who knows.

Pete

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
pete
also booked crossing wednesday just after lunch heading for vt but leave mid-week next week for la plagne looks like just missing each other, but interest to see which route you will be using and why, as I have not decided toll/no toll yet
regards

Hi Guys
Where do you stay in La Plagne? as we're off to VT in Feb but plan on spending a few days in La Plagne as well. Any help appreciated:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Without doubt, the route down through Belgium is a good route in terms of finances, however, is it realy cheaper?

The roads are that bad I reckon it costs way more than the tolls for the repairs ::bigsmile: We have used it a few times going through Belgium but this year we will be doing our normal some toll some non toll route. :thumb:

Cant wait now, 5 weeks Wednesday and Les Menuires here we come:thumb:
Taking mine and the boys skis for a wax on Wednesday, I wouldn't want to go at the moment, all the winterisation work I have done would be wasted, tempreture was about 3 degrees this morning. :Angry: Weve had colder summers here in the UK. :ROFLMAO:

Safe journey wherever you go/endup/ :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Without doubt, the route down through Belgium is a good route in terms of finances, however, is it realy cheaper?

The roads are that bad I reckon it costs way more than the tolls for the repairs ::bigsmile: We have used it a few times going through Belgium but this year we will be doing our normal some toll some non toll route. :thumb:

Cant wait now, 5 weeks Wednesday and Les Menuires here we come:thumb:
Taking mine and the boys skis for a wax on Wednesday, I wouldn't want to go at the moment, all the winterisation work I have done would be wasted, tempreture was about 3 degrees this morning. :Angry: Weve had colder summers here in the UK. :ROFLMAO:

Safe journey wherever you go/endup/ :thumb:

Paul which part of the toll are you using please, we are thinking of no tolls but recall from prev trips with you we did a part on the toll but cant recall which part

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Paul which part of the toll are you using please, we are thinking of no tolls but recall from prev trips with you we did a part on the toll but cant recall which part

I will have to consult my trusted Navigator when I return from work and get her to tell you. ::bigsmile:

The first time you came with us, we had plenty of time so didnt toll at all but that took ages, however there was 5 vans in convoy. Last year we tolled from Calais to Bellicourt (2hrs) then drove with another couple of hours the next day. I was busy driving and obviously champered at a later stage in the holiday so can't remember the entire route :Smile:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I will have to consult my trusted Navigator when I return from work and get her to tell you. ::bigsmile:

The first time you came with us, we had plenty of time so didnt toll at all but that took ages, however there was 5 vans in convoy. Last year we tolled from Calais to Bellicourt (2hrs) then drove with another couple of hours the next day. I was busy driving and obviously champered at a later stage in the holiday so can't remember the entire route :Smile:

I had wondered if it was the start from Calais , have always saved routes but Tomtom decides otherwise even when backed up to the puter ... I am starting to hate the Tomtom recently as she has gone mad for the back roads, .. and no matter how i input info she decides other grrr

Thanks Paul appreciate if you could pass on info
Kath

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I had wondered if it was the start from Calais , have always saved routes but Tomtom decides otherwise even when backed up to the puter ... I am starting to hate the Tomtom recently as [HI]she[/HI] has gone mad for the back roads, .. and no matter how i input info [HI]she[/HI] decides other grrr

Thanks Paul appreciate if you could pass on info
Kath

::bigsmile::roflmto:
Try a man's voice:::bigsmile::roflmto:

Sorry Kath

I just couldn't resist it::bigsmile:

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The Eagle Has Landed!

Ok Funsters!

We were sweating our proverbials off today! 12 degrees here this afternoon!

Currently 4 degrees outside, did Haggers get carried away with his winterisation, we ask ourselves!
Lots of snow and the tan should be well developed by the time you arrive. The bourn is in working order and we can't wait to get these kids into ski school!!!!!!

See you soon!!!!!

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
no fear Jon, I will guarantee snow at Vt , unlimited drinks on me if I am wrong throughout your stay.
Are u overnighting ay Annecy. which route did you take to get there from Calais

Free wifi on your way to moutier, at abertville 2x macdonalds .

The route was on tolls, Reims, Troyes, Dijon, then do a left on the 40 towards Geneva before following the signs into Annecy.

We only got class 3'd on the first short bit out of Calais, the long second bit, leaving the autoroute at Annecy was a class 2 toll!

Apparently, all the ski lift stations are now equipped with free wifi at VT now. A flat phone battery prevented checking that out today.

See you soon!

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Hi Guys
Where do you stay in La Plagne? as we're off to VT in Feb but plan on spending a few days in La Plagne as well. Any help appreciated:thumb:

Hi forestboy
the aire for campingcar is just above plagne centre, costs 10euro a day permanent hook up is by way of tokens which you buy from a service machine.
This time of season I do not bother to use the aire wild camp in bell plagne
and if weather closes in I go to the aire. Not in Feb, the local bobbies are stright this month.
THe aire is very convenient for family as you can ski in and out and there is a smll bottom lift just by the aire for the kids.
There is always places available off season but Feb you probably have to take your chances.
By the way , I mailed VT tourist office and complained the extortional parking charge Got reply with suggestion to stay in Les Menuires (municipal aire, not private) 10 euro a day instead of 24.50 in vt and with better facilities gear to campingcar. Access to area skiing the same. If you have not booked , can consider LM instead of VT
whereever you go , enjoy

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
By the way , I mailed VT tourist office and complained the extortional parking charge Got reply with suggestion to stay in Les Menuires (municipal aire, not private) 10 euro a day instead of 24.50 in vt and with better facilities gear to campingcar. Access to area skiing the same. If you have not booked , can consider LM instead of VT
whereever you go , enjoy

Thanks I'll try it. We have'nt booked and were planning on trying out LM and VT if nothing else available:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
whereever you go , enjoy

Thanks I'll try it. We have'nt booked and were planning on trying out LM and VT if nothing else available:thumb:

Known this for some time, Hence why the clever ones are off to LM and not VT.:Cool:

Although when trying to arrange a get to gether for so many vans, your stuck with out pre booking facility of VT. Les menuires only has 8 vans on 70 places at present, over new year you can clearly see 60+ if you visit there web site you can see the aire updated daily.

As for Vt and Les menuires at the moment, I hope you lot have your swimming costumes. Temps at the moment are 6 Degrees!!!! a far cry from last year :Smile:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Known this for some time, Hence why the clever ones are off to LM and not VT.:Cool:

Although when trying to arrange a get to gether for so many vans, your stuck with out pre booking facility of VT. Les menuires only has 8 vans on 70 places at present, over new year you can clearly see 60+ if you visit there web site you can see the aire updated daily.

As for Vt and Les menuires at the moment, I hope you lot have your swimming costumes. Temps at the moment are 6 Degrees!!!! a far cry from last year :Smile:

Ahhhh but have you seen the temps for next week ...:thumb: -15 Wednesday nite leading to -19 ::bigsmile: with snow as well

I think the VT extra costs are also charged for 24hr surveillance And as you mentioned being able to pre book your spot is good, but at less busy times would be tempted to try LM :thumb:

If there is no snow at vt from all the heat wave poss even less lower down at LM ? I am sure though that all will have a great time

Sep 28, 2010
Castletownbere West Cork
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
11 years
Bad start to the year

Hi Guys
Still stuck in Soll am trying to get there but due to circumstances beyond our control we cannot travel yet. Have a Happy New year and enjoy the skiing.

Richard & Mo

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Guys
Still stuck in Soll am trying to get there but due to circumstances beyond our control we cannot travel yet. Have a Happy New year and enjoy the skiing.

Richard & Mo

Sorry you won't be coming.

The conditions here are very pleasant and the snow is fantastic.

Enjoy the rest of your trip and we might catch up at:Cool: a Funsters bash elsewhere!:thumb:

- Jon

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010

paul
is there a swimming pool at LM?? and do you need swimming caps and speedo to use the pool , the frogs have got funny rules at times. thanks

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
paul
is there a swimming pool at LM?? and do you need swimming caps and speedo to use the pool , the frogs have got funny rules at times. thanks

Yes there is the Leisure Centre at LM. It is exactly the same as the one at VT in terms of design. It has spa pools, Sauna,s steam rooms, jucuzzi and a big jacuzzi pool. It costs about 10e to use all the facilities. I never used a swimming cap last year or the year before, Im pretty sure that I went in trunks but not speedo's with no problem. Whether this was because the thought of me in speedos would of put customers off or not, I can't comment. :RollEyes:

10e sounds expensive and it is when there is 4 of you, however, with the money Im saving by staying at LM compared to the VT I think im still quids in after a couple of swims. :thumb:

BTW, looking on the web cam for LM I can look directly at the aire. Over New year week space looked tight, but looking at it now there is only 3 vans on it!!! when you park up there write in the snow so we can see it :roflmto: also put a couple of reserved signs out to ensure there's still space in February when we arrive.

You can if you want ski VT from LM, if you wanted to. You could pop for a vino with John And Shell and then ski all the way back to LM early evening. There is a nice simple Blue (quite narrow and icy mind) that takes you all the way back to practically the Aire. :thumb:

Being competent skiers, we think we will be fine skiing VT from LM should we need too. :thumb:

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The heatwave is over!

Loads of snow today!:thumb:

A bit of a whiteout at altitude, it just makes it more fun when you have no orientation and no sense of the speed you are doing!

Can't wait to get on the skis!!::bigsmile:

petensal

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2012
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since Sept 2009
Hi all

We arrived in Grand Bornand Thursday afternoon, loads of fresh snow roads covered.

Tried skiing today, too much soft new snow for us, like skiing off piste.

Ski here again tomorrow then head for VT Sunday

See you then

Pete and Sally

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi all

We arrived in Grand Bornand Thursday afternoon, loads of fresh snow roads covered.

Tried skiing today, too much soft new snow for us, like skiing off piste.

Ski here again tomorrow then head for VT Sunday

See you then

Pete and Sally

You won't be dissapointed with the snow here Pete and Sal!

We desperately need some other kids to keep ours from driving us mad!
How old are your tribe?

petensal

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2012
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since Sept 2009
Sorry to disappoint but traveling light this time, no kids, it's bliss, but I do sympathize,

Sheriff

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 3, 2010
Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 yrs
Sat here loving the night view at Nantua before the last leg to Val Thorens tomorrow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 46

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back