Is your retirement as good as you thought it would be...(-; (1 Viewer)

Zilevets

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 A Class P/Line
Exp
My husband took voluntary redundancy in November 2014, as he was 62 he decided to just retire and not worry about work, he's loving it as he has time to do jobs in the house and garden between going out with the van and the bonus is he doesn't have to put in holiday requests as he did before and get knocked back, which was frustrating,

I had to give up work 5 years ago due to a car accident which has damaged my spine, but with the van we can go places and even if I can't go far we still can get out and about and see places and meet people along the way.

We now love being able to go out when we want with the van and not being tied to a schedule of getting back to go to work and if we want to stay away longer we can.

Liz

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I have been camping for many many years, it is now just a tool in the box rather than a life stile or obsession.;)
I agree; but we can take the tool OUT of the box any time we want, which is pretty much what you're saying isn't it :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That sums it up perfectly DD freedom to choose what we do and when we do it. (y)
.......and how we do it!! (y)(y)

Had a few offers of work, but the longer it goes on, the less I want to return to the marine rat race of trying to develop a marine business than nobody really understands, everybody needs but few actually want to pay for......

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I agree; but we can take the tool OUT of the box any time we want, which is pretty much what you're saying isn't it :)
Very true CWH if it takes your fancy then away you go, it is the pre booking that I no longer do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
My comfortable, happy working world fell apart when my wife was killed in a road collision and I was left with PTSD and chronic depression for some time - so bad I had to give up my self employed work at 58 years old. My MH has been my salvation, planning and doing the next trip; I only wish I'd bought a fully winterised one so I could keep going all year! My retirement interests are zero. I hate gardening, I've never been a "club" person and so I never really got to meet any people in my town and my step daughters and grandchildren live away. To me retirement is mostly loneliness and boredom and trying hard to fill in the days until the next holiday. Would I want to go to work again? Not really; customers never become friends and I don't need the money as insurance claims made me financially secure. Do I like retirement? It sure beats being dead - but only marginally I guess!

Just a thought Digger John, would it be possible to change your van to a winterised one, or do as Ian the builder has done, just take off to find the winter sun, @ianthebuilder @JJ and @dippingatoe (see her amazing blog) have all got tales to tell. Could be worth a go, lots of information/help on Fun, could be a change.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The problem with retirement is - you don't get a day off!!

Biggest adjustment was realising that actually, you don't have to go shopping on a Saturday. You can go on a Tuesday, have a coffee in M and S and browse the store,

Perfick!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
My comfortable, happy working world fell apart when my wife was killed in a road collision and I was left with PTSD and chronic depression for some time - so bad I had to give up my self employed work at 58 years old. My MH has been my salvation, planning and doing the next trip; I only wish I'd bought a fully winterised one so I could keep going all year! My retirement interests are zero. I hate gardening, I've never been a "club" person and so I never really got to meet any people in my town and my step daughters and grandchildren live away. To me retirement is mostly loneliness and boredom and trying hard to fill in the days until the next holiday. Would I want to go to work again? Not really; customers never become friends and I don't need the money as insurance claims made me financially secure. Do I like retirement? It sure beats being dead - but only marginally I guess!

That's very sad to read. A positive retirement depends on many things being right and the most important is having the loved one you spent the major part of your life with being there to plan and enjoy the time with you. Whether elderly or not we are all a fine line from being content and able to enjoy our time and facing the days ahead on our own.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Being self employed farming all my life , The best part of retirement for me is that you can still do what you have always done without it having to pay, as well as enjoying not having to do it if you don't want, freedom , I think the word is, as buttons says, I still do stuff for the kids and keep a few sheep but not that many that I can't leave them for my daughter to look after, in fact if it wasn't for the matter that you have to be nearing the end of your days to do it,I could have done with it years ago(y):)

Deleted User
Was incredibly lucky to retire last year aged 51, but neither me or SWMBO can quite get our heads around it yet.

Don't get me wrong life's good and we're having a great time, but it just feels kind of strange.

To date we've had 3 months in France, Chrimbo back at home and are now sat in the Spanish sunshine, having just had a tapas and wine lunch.

@DiggerJon forget the winterisation Jon, get yourself over here.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I became pensionable at 55 in July 2014 and have replaced one job with three, two of which are self-employment. I've returned to trading in collectables which I did a few years ago on the side, and my wife and I have started up a new venture that is going well. She has her own business in addition to that, and I also have a part-time job in a working museum in the summer months.

In terms of how I fill the day I'm as busy now as I was before retirement, but I have much more control over the choice and timing of what I do, and I enjoy it a whole lot more than working for the metaphorical man. The only job that frustrates me occasionally is the museum one, which is local authority controlled, so funding shortages and workplace politics sometimes interfere. The big plus with it is that most of the time I'm working on my own.

To date we've been very fortunate with health - we're very conscious that this is the good bit, and eventually as age advances life will be less good, so we're making the most of it. With two as yet unmarried daughters both in their twenties and in long-term relationships there's a fair chance family life could get busier and more costly before too long, but we'll take that as it comes.

One thing I don't plan to be (if my children remain healthy) is a seven day a week grandparent - If we're blessed with grandkids I'll of course be very happy, but I still intend to have a life of my own.

So in answer to the OP - yes, as good as I thought it would be, if not slightly better. For now.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Despite it being an enforced retirement, six years later I'm getting over the stresses and I can now honestly say: Retirement is good. Wish I'd done it by choice years earlier.

I had a great morning, the sort you can only have when you're not working - so, holiday, weekend or RETIRED.
Got up & checked email accounts, then onto Fun & my daily fix of Quiz (thank @dryad (y))
Him Indoors made breakfast; I ate it.
Since it was by now nice & sunny, I decided to nip down to the village to post my sister's birthday card. While I was there, I thought I'd wander along the beach before going home. Bit of dog-watching, bit of wave-watching.
IMG_4083.JPG IMG_4085.JPG
Then I thought I'd go back up the hill via the coast path and try a few cliff-edge photos.
IMG_4104.JPG IMG_4107.JPG IMG_4111.JPG
When I got to the top, I thought I'd stroll along a bit to see if the peregrine was in residence (she was).
IMG_4113.JPG
Then I thought I'd amble back along the farm lane but it was still flooded.
IMG_4125.JPG
So I thought I'd come back by the horses' field (horribly muddy I know, but what can you do with a mix of heavy rain, granite, and horses???)
IMG_4127.JPG
So my 10-15 minute trip to post a card took me 2 hours.
Luvverly :) Retirement is good (y)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
A few weeks ago my wife said why don't you get a new warm waterproof coat in the sales, OK I said, then a thought occurred to me, I don't need another warm waterproof coat because I don't need to go out if it's cold or raining there's always another day;)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We retired within a couple of weeks of each other, John taking early retirement. He has quite a good social circle/life, but as i moved here to be with him and worked shifts most of my local social life was with work colleagues, all that went when i retired. slowly building up new friendships, but can be difficult when you disappear for a few weeks or months at a time.
However despite that retirement is great, and certainly beats the other alternative, Am happiest when away in the van.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We were on the treadmill with own business working hard and saving for retirement, Then we lost some good friends Jen got the big C thing and our priorities changed, I couldn't wait for the day that we passed the business on to somebody who needed it more than we did, we bought a motorhome to start living the dream and working on it and doing a few jobs was a good way of easing me out of work but keeping me in the UK to handover the business to the new guys.

Well that was three years ago now and we are on our way to Spain again, going places keeps me busy as I can't stay at home (itchy feet).

Don't know what we would do without the motorhome though.

Are we enjoying retirement, "hell yes" but it's hard work.

Martin

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Retired twice already, next and final time is just short of 400 days away or exactly 13 of my working shifts. Can't wait.

13 shift in 400 days? sounds like your already retired.

No, awful, dreadful. Slogging my guts out working 70-80 hour weeks to retire at 50 was a big mistake.

Really? Why?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
All you lucky lucky people I've got 7 more years to retirement:cry: But we still have lots of weekends away and holidays many more than before we had the MH.
Anthea I still have 7 years until I 'officially' retire.
Bullying by a clever sociopath manager has left me unable to work, but I can't prove anything so I can't claim anything. Fortunately Him Indoors is properly retired so we manage on his pension.
When I was working I felt I should continue as long as I could, but from this side of the fence I can only say:
If you can afford to stop, then stop.
Opportunities for happiness, adventure and fun don't come around again.

Last edited:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Bullying by a clever sociopath manager has left me unable to work, but I can't prove anything so I can't claim anything. Fortunately Him Indoors is properly retired so we manage on his pension.
When I was working I felt I should continue as long as I could, but from this side of the fence I can only say:

That's the big question, anybody got a reliable crystal ball I can borrow?
Jay is retiring again in April, she retired 6 years ago but then started working again part time.
I have another 3 years till I get my state pension if I can last that long, I can't wait.
I fully understand those who say they don't know how they found time to work, so much I'd love to do if I had the time. The worry is, without the income, will we be able to afford to do those things.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@CWH thank you for your comments . You had a terrible time as bullying is a most distressing thing to have had done to you it happened to a friend of ours.I am lucky as I've been self employed and have recently cut my hours and Rob took early retirement but does one to one tuition and we have one day in the week together and weekends! It works at the moment as we can get away! I had a wake up call 5 years ago when suddenly seriously Ill we had just bought our van and it was a life line!

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I happily returned to work at age 67 after retiring for 7 months, not looking forward to retiring again in 2017 aged 70.
Love my work and the socializing it involves otherwise at home, alone and lonely.
Perhaps it would have been better if my wife had not died but such is life :unsure:
Must get up for work at 5-15 am, what a waste of time it must be waking up to do nothing ;)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Like @DiggerJon , said if you have never had any outside interests then it can be extremely difficult.

Correct ,if your whole life has been to make a career so that your family can have a nice home etc..it leaves very little time for the social side of life......and when you do find yourself alone in this world everything is so much more difficult..so that's why I bought my motorhome and its been my best friend as I am sure digger john will soon realise..Roy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back