Is your retirement as good as you thought it would be...(-; (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Yes. Today's young ones don't seem to have the same security as we did.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Not retired as yet as to young to do so properly, and haven't enough money to last us out. But we can more than fill our days doing plenty of other stuff and if had enough financial backup would happily continue to do so.

Im sure it's the same for most of us, we all know of someone close who reaches retirement and within no time has passed away. We have lost friends younger than ourselves (we're mid forties) so made us very much think we've got to make the most of our lives whilst we can and worry about the rest when we need to, living to a ripe old age is not a given, enjoy life whilst you can.

We are soon to start a stint as HelpX'ers in return for a place to put the m/h with some electric and other stuff. For us far more rewarding helping out (and for no wage) than working for the 'man' just feels better.

Not for everyone as has already been said but

ENJOY EVERY LAST MOMENT, IT MIGHT BE YOUR LAST.

Shawn.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
My comfortable, happy working world fell apart when my wife was killed in a road collision and I was left with PTSD and chronic depression for some time - so bad I had to give up my self employed work at 58 years old. My MH has been my salvation, planning and doing the next trip; I only wish I'd bought a fully winterised one so I could keep going all year! My retirement interests are zero. I hate gardening, I've never been a "club" person and so I never really got to meet any people in my town and my step daughters and grandchildren live away. To me retirement is mostly loneliness and boredom and trying hard to fill in the days until the next holiday. Would I want to go to work again? Not really; customers never become friends and I don't need the money as insurance claims made me financially secure. Do I like retirement? It sure beats being dead - but only marginally I guess!

Might it be worth thinking about doing something similar to what I have done?

Just sell everything and travel. I spent the first couple of years seeing bits of the UK I always meant to , and then last December crossed the channel.

Its lovely over here in France. The weather is mild enough to sit with the door open once the sun has been shining for a while, which it does far more often than in the UK, and I am hardly half way down France at present. I don't speak any foreign languages and though it was a bit scary at first I am getting better at doing things

I find that most people who motorhome are very friendly to others on the road, and I know lots of folk spend their winters in Spain regularly, and say its a great life.

Who know you might make lots of new friends...... and just think ..... NO GARDENING..... ever again :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
A day in the life of a young retiree….:) I gave up working some years ago so have had much experience in doing very little for some time now and I must say that it was an easy transformation for me. I can never understand why some dread the day, it is fantastic.(y)

Just sitting comfortable this morning eating my toast, the last member of the family had just left leaving me and the dog in peaceful bliss when my mobile rings, it’s my son…Dad I need a new cutter blade asap and I can’t get away to get it. So put my toast down and off I go, new cutter blade delivered to site. The dog was happy as he ended up with the toast.:)

The weather was really good so I got back and hung out a line of washing that I had already washed yesterday, it should dry in no time and it is only 11am.:cool: I noticed another fence panel is a bit damaged so ordered another and will do that when it arrives.

My other son phoned from the US had a chat to him for ten minutes, he said the snow has all but gone and the sun is forecast for there too.:cool:

I think one of the best things about retirement is the freedom and non commitment of having tight goals each day. I’m going to have some fresh toast, have a bath then maybe a bit of shopping.

How is your retirement panning out and what do you find to do with yourself outside the motorhome season.?

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I treasure our retirement, although had to wait until 65 due to financial restrictions, but now enjoy every day as best we can, my sister and best mate didn't get to retirement age, live life to the full we always say, don't scrimp and save for a rainy day, you may not get there.

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
This has to be one of the best threads on MHF. I'm way too young to retire at 45, but I think I have a financial plan that gets me there at 55. Thanking my lucky stars that i started avcs in my 20s as it has given me options. Compound interest is a wonderful thing. Corporate life is not so much fun after 20 years. But nice to know it may be only 10 more.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
I retire in 2021 and see it as another chapter in my life yet to be written

I am currently enjoying the current chapter though!

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Les got chance of early retirement nearly 3yrs ago. After much thought grabbed the opportunity and I gave up my job. I still have 7 yrs to wait for my pension, sore point moved goalposts etc, and Les has a small pension. We live off savings that we would rather enjoy before/ if/when we can no longer travel, took the view to use it while we could enjoy it. We worked one summer on a campsite in France for free stay. If the money gets too low before we get our OAPension or we get bored there's always casual work to pick up. We don't consider we are on holiday when away in the van, more a case of its our mobile home. Good health is a very important factor. Can't be bought or taken for granted.
Our motto is "doing it for longer on less". Have Fun while you can youre not coming back this way(y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well it has been another good retirement day, not achieved too much but it really doesn't matter, there is another day tomorrow.;) My lovely lady has told me all about her day and I have told her all about mine obviously with a bit of poetic license thrown in so she doesn't feel that I am in any way under doing it.:)
The kids all appear happy, my youngest is building a block of flats, the building inspector passed it up to the third floor today so he is happy, My granddaughter has popped down to Southampton for a few days to see her boyfriend my eldest in the US seems happy when I spoke to him today my daughter would be a lot happier if she could find a new man, nothing new there :) and the dog has just gone to bed with my Ex. so what more can I say, it wont be long before I get into bed myself.(y) Night....

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I took early retirement and its mostly been great, just as well I did, as the organisation I
Well it has been another good retirement day, not achieved too much but it really doesn't matter, there is another day tomorrow.;) My lovely lady has told me all about her day and I have told her all about mine obviously with a bit of poetic license thrown in so she doesn't feel that I am in any way under doing it.:)
The kids all appear happy, my youngest is building a block of flats, the building inspector passed it up to the third floor today so he is happy, My granddaughter has popped down to Southampton for a few days to see her boyfriend my eldest in the US seems happy when I spoke to him today my daughter would be a lot happier if she could find a new man, nothing new there :) and the dog has just gone to bed with my Ex. so what more can I say, it wont be long before I get into bed myself.(y) Night....

Just watch out for the storms you promised us and the shrinky head disease :p

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Retired at 55, got a part time job for four days a week and then down to two days. Got up one day and said that it I am packing in work and have never looked back. Nice to have nobody to tell you what time you have to do things by. :) We enjoy our trips away whether its in the motorhome or a hotel, any time of the year and at home with our family.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I retired 11 years ago aged 51, health wasn't that good and my pension fund was solid. Health has now improved but have attended too many funerals of colleagues who didn't get to retire. Never regretted it and not enough hours in the day now. We struggle to find adequate gaps to go away in the van at times but still managed over a dozen trips last year plus a long haul to Australia. I planned to retire at 55 but my health decided otherwise. My advice is if you can, go for it.

As for younger people not being as well off as we are all I can say is planning. Both my sons are better off than I was at their age, and now. One of them only works part time so he can spend more time with his children, something I regret as I spent the first 9 years of their life working abroad.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Still only 48 so officially i still have a few years to go, we have always roughly planed to retire around 55 but I now dont think my work will still be there in 7 years. Thats not all bad news for me as long as I make it to 50 then I can access my final salary pension and if its through redundancy we get it boosted so anytime after 50 if i get the chance im off.
My older brother who is turning 50 next month has been retired for just over 3 years and he seems to be loving it spending half his time in Spain and the other half here, saying that he has a fair bit more money than me.

After losing my Mum to a very quick illness (cancer) on the 2nd of January it really hit home how quick life can end, so even if im not wealthy once I get the offer I'll be off as id rather spend all my money while im fit and healty to do so than have loads left sitting in a nursing home.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We've had 2 contrasting experiences of retirement so far, but both still better than work.
In the first place we retired a little early, bought a motorhome and spent 3 years going on fairly long tours. We did the usual trips, France (lots) Spain, Italy, Croatia, & places in between. In those 3 years we spent about 12 months in the van.
BUT
We also have elderly parents who have needed much more care and attention over the last 18 months. H's dad is now 99 and in good health but his memory has gone so can't really remember when to eat. My mum is in hospital long term and so we have a 70 mile round trip 4 or 5 times a week to take my dad along to see her. None of this is totally disasterous but its time consuming so the long European tours are out of the question. We manage a few local days at a time. If we were still in work we couldnt cope with this at all.
An opportunity also sprang up to move to a park home, so after much consideration and many questions we decided to give it a go. We might as well downsize whilst we cant get away. Its interesting being on a park where 95% of the residents are retired. There is an awful lot of relaxed, active and happy people about.
So retirement? Yes its brilliant. And when we get back to touring (parents sadly won't last forever) it will be from a new base and, we hope, even better.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm very lucky and I do understand and appreciate it. I've always had a hobby or hobbies that were interrupted by having to work. I worked for one company all my working life and when I started with them they were part of the Civil Service and remained such just long enough for my pension to be based on CS terms. I planned to retire at 55 but the opportunity (without financial penalty) arose just before my 50th birthday. My wife had had a number of jobs with a break when the kids were pre-school age so she worked a few years longer than me because the 'opportunity' to be made redundant was on the horizon. That too worked out so she ended her working days early and financially better off than if she had waited until retirement age. We both have our health although I had a minor brush with cancer around 6 years ago (I can't tuck it in my socks now:)). I've been retired for 18 years all of which have been fully occupied by my interests. Could have retired age 20 and led a fulfilling life :). Yes - retirement is everything I could wish for.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I imagine the psychologists, would have a great time reading this thread!. (seriously!). For the most it appears that retirement was for the good, AND that most where already "travellers" of one kind or another. Myself, I am pretty much a "true Gypsy" according to my family, I hate being at home, unless I have a project, 20+ years in the Merchant navy, followed by 15 "on the road" in various capacities, probably has something to do with it!, I don`t like the same scenery for more than a few days!!, and only like someone else's grass!.

Age 57, the "man" finally said OK, "Bugger off, If you won`t move to Wales". Which I duly did, came back to "Gods Country" and Self Built a House. Got bored when that finished and went P-T Lorry driving!. (agency). Used to take the winter months off to go to Spain. In 09 we Bought a Winnebago in Florida, Towed the "Rental" Back to Texas (on a U-Haul "Dolly!!, note for the "anti "A" framers"!). And commenced 6 years of Travelling the USA. 12,500miles later SWMBO had a really bad "do" and cannot now get insurance, so that has ended. Her biggest disappointment is that we don't get to see the "Texas" Grand-kids! any more.

Looking forward though to maybe getting back to some winters on the Med. If no insurance well, we can rely on the E111 for emergencies, (Until we come out of the E-U, anyway!!) and as for the rest we`ll "wing" it!!. "No Pockets in a Shroud" as they say!!.

Pete

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Gave up going to work at 50 after a particularly stressful 5/6 years, our 4 kids now run our business and we let them earn more of the money. We would like to sell it to them and release our retirement funds at a tax efficient rate but one son has major home problems so that has caused complications. :unsure:
At first I enjoyed just chilling out in the garden doing the whole good life thingy, then husband retired too (equally stressed out!) and we bought the motorhome. Glad I managed some quality time with my mum till she died 18 months ago and glad we both have the time to enjoy special relationships with the Grandkids. :rofl: Managed 10 weeks away in MH last year and couple of weeks elsewhere, spend lots of time in Northumberland. When little ones go to school we hope to do some bigger trips. Nothing to moan about .... Thinking @DiggerJon needs to get off to spain, no good being lonely at home unless you cant get away, lots of friendly folk out there and winter sun to cheer you up, go on do it .... you know you want to ..... Just do it!

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
My comfortable, happy working world fell apart when my wife was killed in a road collision and I was left with PTSD and chronic depression for some time - so bad I had to give up my self employed work at 58 years old. My MH has been my salvation, planning and doing the next trip; I only wish I'd bought a fully winterised one so I could keep going all year! My retirement interests are zero. I hate gardening, I've never been a "club" person and so I never really got to meet any people in my town and my step daughters and grandchildren live away. To me retirement is mostly loneliness and boredom and trying hard to fill in the days until the next holiday. Would I want to go to work again? Not really; customers never become friends and I don't need the money as insurance claims made me financially secure. Do I like retirement? It sure beats being dead - but only marginally I guess!
That puts everything in perspective. I'm grateful for what I have and do hope that life gets better for you

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
There is some great reading in the previous pages :) and unfortunately (for those affected) some sad reading. :(

I'm in limbo somewhat, as I was retired eleven years ago at age 48 due to ill health, (Asthma), which meant I could no longer wear a Breathing Apparatus Set, and be part of "the team" any more? :(
I did continue working for my PT employers on the trucks and coaches, but that soon dried up when the 2008 recession came about.
In the early days of retirement, I tried desperately to get Rita to retire, so that we could go away in the MH for long tours, but she wasn't having any of it. Her two main reason were, A... she agonised over how we were going to manage financially after my retirement, never mind touring long term, (totally unjustified, I am pleased to say) and, B... she felt the need to retain her little bit of financial independence, made possible with her PT earnings.

Sadly, both sets of parents are no longer with us, and our daughter lives away from home, so no ties to keep us at home. Having resigned myself to thinking that Rita would never retire early, I took on PT courier work, on a job sharing basis (week on/week off), and have been doing this for the last four and a half years now (finished and home for lunch every day (y) ).
Rita's long term health condition has deteriorated over the last eighteen months to two years, and she now requires regular injections, blood tests, and follow ups. This has made her reassess her attitude to work, and hopefully, (fingers and toes crossed ;) ) this coming spring "may" well see us on the road a lot more, with the work ethic thing becoming a distant memory.

Cheers,

Jock (& Rita.) :)

Last edited:
D

DM14742

Deleted User
Finished work at 50 and 2 years later am still deep into house renovations but that doesn't put us off going on extended hols in the summer. Whilst the dog is with us we plan to "do" Europe in the Van and fingers crossed looking forwards go further afield especially through the winter months. I have to say the real Marigold hotel appeals so much, we've been to India and Sri Lanka a number of times now and love it.

BTW having read a number of posts touching on money and health in my book Healthy equals Wealthy, there's nothing more important so do it while you can!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
I've never been so busy. Don't know how I ever fitted in a full time job and did everything else!

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
This is an interesting read, as we plan to retire early (in 2020) and are working furiously towards making it a reality.

We recently moved from a neighbourhood where many residents were retired and mostly the gents regularly passed the time of day saying that they "missed work".

I would always comment that "I could not wait to retire" and most would say "not to wish your life away" and "work as long as you could".

All are different of course, and depending how you fill your life, partner, finances, etc all come into the equation; but I do envy you guys and am counting the next 47 months.....
I retired about five years ago...should have done it years before. Only wee problem of the finances though. I love retirement, never been so busy. Grandkids, kids (in their forties now) always with the "Dad could you..." or Mum do you have time to..." Needless to say we do, but manage to squeeze in the odd trip in Toad Hall to wherever. Ex caravanners, just the last couple of years with the moho and getting our heads around it all...but as that well known fast food outlet spouts "We're loving' it"!

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Was made redundant, got a consultancy job, well paid got bored, started my own company travelled a lot, my sister diagnosed with a rare cancer, she died aged 56, rude awakening. Both parents alive, dad 88, mum 83. Live 200 miles away, travel up there on a fairly regular basis. Now fully retired, pension, financially ok, everything paid off... @The Happy Hooker still working (no not that:rolleyes:).

Kick started my diet, nearly 4 stone off, stopped smoking nearly 9 years. Do go to the gym at 6:30AM (weekdays), spend time taking pictures and researching my family tree, waiting for @The Happy Hooker to retire so that we can travel some more. Will be 60 this year. I am now free from Blood Pressure Pills and my asthma inhalers, and 0.45 @Puddleduck ;)

Do I miss work?

No.

Are the days long?

No.

Do I watch TV all day?

No I watch less and less.

As has been said by many on here, life is short and valuable.

Regrets, yep, I wish I could not wake up at silly oclock..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back