Is your motorhome the reason for travel or the mode for travel?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Chockswahay, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Just thinking.......

Is your van the reason to go away?

Or

A mode of transport to get to different places?

Think about it :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Flook

Flook Funster

MMMMmmm, now let me think on this, okay, given it some thought process around 10 seconds. To go away in a hotel for a week, plus food out for two etc about 500 notes and more. A week on a campsite/campsites if you like two different venues, about 20% of that figure.

Recently been to Betws-y-Coed, to stay in a hotel their around 140/night + other expenses:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I think mainly a reason to go away. I love travelling that way whereas I loath flying and particularly airports.
    I can sleep in my own bed, not one that's been slept in, fornicated in etc by a thousand strangers and if the plumbing doesn't work I can probably fix it.

• Like Like x 6
  4. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

That's a really good question. It clarifies some of my recent negative thinking.

When we bought the MH it was definitely as a mode of transport/ living to get around.
    At the moment, because we have lots of things that need doing in the house to get it ready to sell, it's more of a reason to travel (can't be having it sitting around doing nothing!)
    Hopefully once we've sold the house, whether we buy another one or not, the MH will once again be the mode of travelling & living; then I'll be full of the joys again!

So now I've thought that through I'm much happier, so thank you @chockswahay , that's helped me such a lot!
    :thanks3:

• Like Like x 1
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Great question, I will be back when thought through (y)

6. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Our MH is an extension to our house, with wheels attached.

It's the reason why we choose to go to certain places and not to others, but not necessarily the reason why we go away. We go away without the MH when it suits us, but not often. If we didn't have it we'd still have holidays.

7. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

For us it's our little palace on wheels and our gateway to great adventures - yes it's a mode of transport, but it's more than that - much more.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

Mmmmhhh tricky!!

When I was 40 I left the RN after 24 short but colourfull years service and got a "proper job". As the kids were then all in their teens we bought a caravan so that we could get away for a weekend or annual holidays with or without offspring. It (and its successors) served us well for the next 30 years including taking all 7 of our Grandchildren away at different times as they grew up and loving it!! :)

Now that we are in our seventies, our grandchildren are in their twenties or late teens and our great grandchildren still babies or toddlers we (2 years ago) bought a motorhome and go away quite a lot including one 8 week and two 4 week trips abroad every year as well as some touring in the UK , we also intend to buy 2 E Bikes before our next long tour of Spain and Portugal (from Jan to April 2016) to extend the range of places we can visit.

So I guess in answer to the OP's original question is yes to both parts ( if that makes any sense) because usually our attitudes & circumstances change as time marches on!

• Like Like x 2
  9. sedge

sedge Funster

It's both. Or either. Sometimes one and sometimes the other to me !

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

For me, motorhoming is an end in itself.. love travelling in it ..

square wheeled it's just a box with wheels..

• Like Like x 1
  11. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

For us it's the reason to travel. Every time I get behind the wheel - and like a true saddo that includes bringing it home from storage to either clean it or load it up - it makes me smile, like I'm already on holiday. We've covered around 25000 miles in it in the past 4 years and it is definitely a lifestyle choice. I don't mind the occasional stay in a hotel, but even though the cost of buying a motorhome would pay for many years of package holidays, I wouldn't swap.

• Like Like x 4
  12. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Interesting question.

To me the cost isn't an issue - you could get an awful lot of nights in hotel rooms for the price of a motorhome.

We've visited a lot of places that we simply would never have thought of going to if we were using a different means of transport.

We also take the dogs pretty much everywhere we go which would be very difficult, if not impossible, using other accommodation.

The more I think about it the more I think my answer is "both".

• Like Like x 6
  13. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Yes and yes.

If we didn't have the motorhome we would still travel but not as often, for a shorter time and to places other people think we should go rather than where we want to go.

• Like Like x 3
  14. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Both!! Simples............ (y)(y)

15. Badknee

Badknee Funster

When the kids were young we were tuggers, tugged it and dumped it for one/two/three weeks next to a beach and everyone was happy. But since they all buggered off we started to go on fly away holidays and more recently touring in our Eunos Roadster and B&B but what a pain in the arse that was, so along came Mo and she is our escape mechanism, touring as we want and stopping where we feel and every day she is parked up is a holiday wasted. (y)

• Like Like x 6
  16. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Same here, even sitting in it when it is still on the drive I feel happy.

When we bought Buffy I said "That is the up front cost of so many cruises" and we thought it was worth it...... the new motorhome I said "If it lasts 10 years and with no residual value that is £x a year"

17. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

And now for something completely different......on my way into Truro this morning I passed a motorhome going the opposite way. We were both going slowly so I waved at the driver, and blow me down, he waved back! Is that a first, and have I started a new craze?
    And by the way I was in the car.......

• Like Like x 8
  18. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I've been know to give a wave and thumbs up sign to motorhome drivers even when I've been in the car. But then I'm not proud, I'll also wave at delivery vans and horse boxes :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

For me , the reason. Without it I certainly wouldn't bother going out of the front gate .

20. scousebird

scousebird Funster

99%