Is your motorhome the reason for travel or the mode for travel? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hi @chockswahay ,
That's some tank you've got on your moho. mine I'd only get about 500 miles

Ha! if we stay on the motorway we could manage 980 miles and still have 2 gallons in reserve :D but off motorway I usually reckon on 37mpg and 4 gallons left in the tank at fill up. As @Judgemental said we have the long range 120 litre tank (26.4 galls) (y)

Edit: But I do drive at a speed that is so slow the Judge would die of boredom ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Just thinking.......

Is your van the reason to go away?

Or

A mode of transport to get to different places?

Think about it :rolleyes:
It's a good question, it's both really but it's something we've thought about a bit. We've had vans for years but we retired almost a year ago so more time to travel and considering having a few other holidays too, further afield maybe or to do something like a long distance walk or cycle trip. So it can't be the transport for everything.

But Deep Down we are addicted to the motor homing lifestyle we adore it and are always planning the next trip whilst still away. We have itchy feet when at home even though we love where we live and miss out on things that happen here half the year.

And whilst a Moho is a lifestyle choice rather than an economy...how many packages could we have for what it costs us to buy and run...we would feel more rushed and couldn't afford to be away as long, to take our time to explore a place in depth. we'd be tourists on a whistle stop itinerary. Slow tv? Nah, give me slow travel anyday!

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's a means to see more of this country and continental Europe, we have done a few overlanding trips in Asia and Africa and see a MH as a way of doing the same closer to home. Still planning some travelling in South America and China/Russia and some of the 'stans though.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
It's a means to see more of this country and continental Europe, we have done a few overlanding trips in Asia and Africa and see a MH as a way of doing the same closer to home. Still planning some travelling in South America and China/Russia and some of the 'stans though.
Yes the draw of seeing some of the rest of the world is the only thing stopping us doing solely motor homing if that makes sense. You can do swaps, hire ( expensive) purchase abroad or buy an over lander but there are times when that seems to make the idea very long winded and complicated.

So something different now again is probably our choice, having said that we are still addicted and it'll be a long time before we stop motorhoming obsessivlely!!

It's more than a van it's a whole lifestyle

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Like Fidget I have Crohn's Disease and the peace of mind knowing there is a toilet just a few metres away is very satisfying. For us the answer is both, we love being away in the van, and, we get more holidays. Went off flying, or rather airports, years ago so don't fly often, though just returned from Australia at the weekend after a bit of a tour down under. None of our fears about airports actually happened, perhaps flying isn't so bad after all!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
For us its mainly a way of travelling and seeing new places in Europe but we also use it for short breaks here in the UK, for example nipping down to Cornwall for a few days just for a change of scenery. We often return to the same place on these short trips but for our main trips into Europe we like to go somewhere new whenever possible.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Its very much a means to get away to different places that we would never otherwise see by more traditional holiday means of transport.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We bought Winnie as a means for going away as hotels are a nightmare with the wheelchair and options very limited, so to take our own 'home' with us has great appeal. However, I suspect she is going to become so much more to us. Watch this space!

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
For us it's our little palace on wheels and our gateway to great adventures - yes it's a mode of transport, but it's more than that - much more.
My feelings exactly. Having just spent a couple of weeks in hospital I miss the opportunity afforded by having theMOHO ready to go - staring at at the grey (cream ) walls of the ward was soul destroying - how I miss the great outdoors - can't wait to get on the road again and see more of this wonderful country of ours. I think the same applied when we had our narrowboat. Anyway I'm home now - just waiting on prognosis and treatment recommendations and then we're off - if I can convince SWMBO to drive the beast! She says she's lost confidence in todays traffic

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Haven't read any of above....

I'd say mode.... Having travelled lots on a different mode... Motor Cycle both here and most of "mainland Europe"

Just different... :)... It must be an age thing... :)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It's a means of travelling with our dogs and taking our second home wherever we like without hassle and seeing lots of new places in our retirement

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Simples. I could`nt afford the Boat (I wanted) and anyway SWMBO wont sail. So after I lost the deposit on a Holiday because they Sent the Ship to (yet) another Port. We got a Caravan, for flexibility. Kid`s loved it SWMBO loved it. Mainly `cos I cooked!! (Outside). When she Couldn't get about so well (second Hip and the her back went as the combined result of the years of Medical Negligence as a Child) we swapped it for an R-V. then another!. We Toured Europe especially Spain, after I retired, Own BED, Known Mattress handy Toilet facilities, cooking and drinks on tap. NO Airports!. The Winnebago in the Avatar Is the one we had for 5 years In the USA 27 states (I think) Thousands of miles (the last trip 5600Miles over 3 Months). Before More medical issues made it no longer possible. Now we are looking at using our newly acquired Rapido, maybe we will re acquaint our selves with Europe (in winter?) but there are many places left in this Island I wish to see.

New chapter Starting??. Watch this space!!.

Pete

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
If I've understood the question correctly I'm not sure that our MH is the reason for or the mode of travel. Like most folks we have other transport and reasons to go away. Having said that, we've found that we go away for weekends which we otherwise wouldn't do... so I guess to some extent is it the reason we travel - if that makes sense... no, probably not!!

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
To me Motorhoming is a way of travelling seeing the world without paying a lot of money!became a full time for ten years,then circumstances changed,but we always had our big holidays as well,NZ,St Lucia Egypt,.

We actually got our first M/H,because we had old old dogs,that we were not prepared to put in Kennels ,an old VW,

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Our van is both, we bought it when we were both working and had got sick of trying to find nice accommodation when we were on walking holidays/weekends. Our van gave us the opportunity to visit and stop at great spots and know we had a comfortable space to sleep and eat.

Since getting it we have both been able to give up work so to be honest it has been a life changer.

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
This is our first year as motorhomers and we think both points are relevant, it's great driving the autocruise rhythm van, and very comfortable it has been, we were down in Cornwall for most of September, and as the day neared for us to return home, with an overnight stop on the way back, we had forgotten we had a house we enjoyed it so much, rest of the year has been a 4-5 days away, north, south, east, and west. There are certain programs on tv that probably a lot of people wouldn't watch, but I do, I always pick up tips for places to visit for something interesting. Last one was 3 nights at the c&cc site at Ravenglass, got an age concession, cost £49.05, for the two of us, nice place

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back