Is this trip a bit of a stretch? Sheffield - Alicante (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So my company tend to send me to Alicante a few times a year to be standby cover incase of sickness etc.

on the 18th of Feb I am due to fly there and stay in a Golf resort with a nice villa until I fly back on the 24th.

I would love to take the family with me but my wife can't currently fly so I was thinking could we all drag down there in the motorhome?

But its 1450miles. We could leave 3pm on the Wednesday and have to arrive by Saturday evening. We then can all stay at the villa for the week and check out the following Friday and have to be back home for the Monday evening.

Looking at it I am not sure its doable with the 2 year old. I have driven Amsterdam to Madrid in one hit before. It took me about 21 hours but that was just me in a Toyota MR2 and I was a bit younger.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Booked!

Plans are coming together. We're now doing Portsmouth to Santander on the Cruise ferry. Gone for the cabin upgrade to outside wth TV and ensuite and all that so should be a nice crossing with a view.

Leaves Portsmouth at 11am and arrives the next day at 12:15 the following day so nice times I think. Not an early start on both days.

We then have almost 4 full days to get to Alicante so we can really amble and take some time to see some places for a walking visit.

Down side is the day before the ferry we have to truck 225miles to Portsmouth when the missis finishes work so planning to grab her slightly early at 3pm and get out the city and on the road before the main rush hour hits. Just need to find a site to stay on now. Unfortunately the CC one is not open until March.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You can stay on the parking at the ferry port in Portsmouth,,BUSBY,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
You can stay on the parking at the ferry port in Portsmouth,,BUSBY,

Is it a nice safe feeling area or just a car park? I am happy anywhere really but my missis is a worrier and would want a proper site feeling place rather than just a space to stop where others could be driving and wondering about doing what people do.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Is it a nice safe feeling area or just a car park? I am happy anywhere really but my missis is a worrier and would want a proper site feeling place rather than just a space to stop where others could be driving and wondering about doing what people do.

we were the same as you, I didn't mind, but Bev didn't fancy anything not a camp site

4 years later we use a combination of both, aires are great, car parks can be useful, camp site are OK, Bev would reverse that statement ie aires are OK ...

just get out there and enjoy (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Just found a CL called Carefree Nurseries on the Caravan Club site and reviews look good and its only 20mins from the port so going to phone in the morning to see if a space is available.

Do enjoy this planning part. Hope the trip is as much fun.

Reactions: Pia
Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Portsmouth Ferry parking would be easier than finding CL late at night. It is safe. Take into account morning rush hour traffic around Portsmouth and Southampton so may not be 20 mins at the time you need to travel.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Its very safe,,inside the port at the booking in booths,,BUSBY,,

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Avoid Paris, and, unless you cross to Holland, go down the middle taking the A75 motorway which is free from Clermont-Ferrand to Beziers and a beautiful drive. Spanish roads are mostly traffic free and brilliant to drive.....even around Barcelona..enjoy your adventure....even rushing down it will be a joy....we love our journeys as much as our destination....have fun.

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK it's probably been said before
but we did this last year the year before and two years before that

Our Normal route (last year was different) is Chesterfield - yes just down the road from You @Davidatthomas , (Brittany Ferries) Portsmouth Bilbao, Zaragoza, Valencia, Benidorm
The trip is relaxed even though the Spanish side is done in 8 hours

AND
Remember we were tugging so we were running at lower speeds than a Motorhome would - well that's the only type of Campers who overtook us except for one very MAD German caravanner though we did see him later strange the only time I've seen Spanish Traffic Police

This year it's motorhome through France from the Tunnel taking ??? days as we are going to go slowly

Upvote 0

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
This is a lovely trip. The Commodor cabins come with a rather nice fruit basket and some sweeties....and a fridge with soft drinks and water. Landing in Santander is delightful and a nice leisurely trip to Alicante will be a real pleasure for you.
Portsmouth Dock is on the far side of the city from where you will arrive...the city roads are busy ...make sure you leave plenty of time.
Have the best time.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back