Is this trip a bit of a stretch? Sheffield - Alicante (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
So my company tend to send me to Alicante a few times a year to be standby cover incase of sickness etc.

on the 18th of Feb I am due to fly there and stay in a Golf resort with a nice villa until I fly back on the 24th.

I would love to take the family with me but my wife can't currently fly so I was thinking could we all drag down there in the motorhome?

But its 1450miles. We could leave 3pm on the Wednesday and have to arrive by Saturday evening. We then can all stay at the villa for the week and check out the following Friday and have to be back home for the Monday evening.

Looking at it I am not sure its doable with the 2 year old. I have driven Amsterdam to Madrid in one hit before. It took me about 21 hours but that was just me in a Toyota MR2 and I was a bit younger.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Could you go by train instead of flying? Or you could fly (maybe with daughter) and wife tale the train?

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Trucks do it in about that time going down,,,Should be possible,,young children tend to sleep when travelling. BUSBY,,

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
We live in Leyland and when the kids were younger this was how we travelled to south of France. Crossed via ferry or euro tunnel just in time for the motorail. Parked up on the carrier, had a meal and a few drinks on the train then off to bed. Left Calais early evening arrived refreshed south of France next morning. It's a good option to consider and you'd have a car to use whilst there.

The roads are much better in France now than 10 or 15 years ago,,Does motorail still exist,,
BUSBY,,,

Upvote 0

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Day 1 Wed; Cross chunnel; re-fuel Cite d'Europe; Stop - free Baie de Somme on Motorway Service area in caravan parking.
Day 2 Thu; Route to Rouen then cut south Evreux, Dreux, Chartres then onto motorway before Orleans; Refuel J12 Issoire Carrefour (McD's if you want); stop free at La Canourgue, 2 miles from motorway, (take away or restaurants);
Day 3 Fri; Refuel at cheapest fuel point on motorway around Barcelona - prices are shown on Motorway; Stop Valencia Motorhome Parking Betera - 12Euros but free if you park outside, 3 miles from motorway, phone ahead and order a seafood paella (90mins before arriving)
Day 4 Sat; Breeze down to Alicante. Refuel. Jobs a goodun.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...e6b8df4df325c17e!8m2!3d50.9360704!4d1.8059783
https://www.google.com/maps/place/50°10'11.5"N+1°45'14.3"E/@50.1698714,1.7517743,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d50.169868!4d1.753963
https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...xb32da273152336d9!8m2!3d45.5515345!4d3.267685
https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...83c37ef386410264!8m2!3d45.5514091!4d3.2670157
https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...0x2b3dc376e36b2965!8m2!3d44.431036!4d3.214921
https://www.google.com/maps/place/V...0x250917a957135dc!8m2!3d39.579574!4d-0.445024

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
There is still a website for motorail, so presume so.
I think you boarded it in Paris and it took you to Lyon years ago but thats not much of a journey now with France"s excellent road system..Easy to drive from Dieppe to The Med at Bezier in the day with a motorhome. BUSBY.

Upvote 0

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I think you boarded it in Paris and it took you to Lyon years ago but thats not much of a journey now with France"s excellent road system..Easy to drive from Dieppe to The Med at Bezier in the day with a motorhome. BUSBY.
That was the journey I think and agree we drove last summer and it was good roads. Didn't do it in one day though, took a more leisurely drive over 3/4 days. No kids with us now either :D:D

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Having given my opinion early on I have kept an eye on other ideas

Just reading again and realise the OP possibly has a full generation age difference to the youngest of us :) well back in my memory banks I recall doing similar things without thought, (probably against the advice of parents) almost certainly wouldn't do it again now, but on reflection as others have suggested, do it while young, stick it in your memory, so when you are older you can tell your kids and maybe younger forum members in 30 years time,

no don't do it............

well maybe just the once :)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
One thing to consider, are you sharing the driving? If not being a passenger, especially whilst also keeping a 2 year old occupied, is probably going to be harder work and more exhausting than the driving

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
One thing to consider, are you sharing the driving? If not being a passenger, especially whilst also keeping a 2 year old occupied, is probably going to be harder work and more exhausting than the driving

Its just me doing the driving as the missis does not have C1 if we take the motorhome and if we take the car she won't drive anywhere I have not sat as a passenger for at least 5 practice runs first.

I really want to do it as when were there its will be great. And looking back later in life would be a great memory of hell yea we rocked on. I just don't want a fed up baby. A tired mum and me with an ear full of passed on stress.

As another poster mentioned were still quite young. 38 and 32? Better check lol. So I certainly have it in me to just truck on. Would love to do it in the motorhome. We could take a lot more time getting there if the missis takes a couple of days annual leave. Getting back is the tighter schedule for returning to work in the UK. That has to be done in 4 days max.

Upvote 0
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Its just me doing the driving as the missis does not have C1 if we take the motorhome and if we take the car she won't drive anywhere I have not sat as a passenger for at least 5 practice runs first.

I really want to do it as when were there its will be great. And looking back later in life would be a great memory of hell yea we rocked on. I just don't want a fed up baby. A tired mum and me with an ear full of passed on stress.

As another poster mentioned were still quite young. 38 and 32? Better check lol. So I certainly have it in me to just truck on. Would love to do it in the motorhome. We could take a lot more time getting there if the missis takes a couple of days annual leave. Getting back is the tighter schedule for returning to work in the UK. That has to be done in 4 days max.

Plenty of time. Honestly just book the euro star, get your sat-nav sorted out, travel/breakdown insurance organised, fuel her up and go on your adventure. I'm just back from a mammoth trip from Aberdeen to France, over the alps and down to Murcia and I enjoyed every minute of it. Granted I didn't have a young child with me but I honesty believe they would enjoy it.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Given the destination there's all manner of route options through France, West, Centre, and East. The one thing to look out for is not getting bogged down by going too close to Paris, especially the Boulevard Peripherique. I'd personally go down the Western side because you can have a bit of time by the sea near Biarritz on the way down, but I can see the merits of the other routes.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Having given my opinion early on I have kept an eye on other ideas

Just reading again and realise the OP possibly has a full generation age difference to the youngest of us :) well back in my memory banks I recall doing similar things without thought, (probably against the advice of parents) almost certainly wouldn't do it again now, but on reflection as others have suggested, do it while young, stick it in your memory, so when you are older you can tell your kids and maybe younger forum members in 30 years time,

no don't do it............

well maybe just the once :)(y)

I am 72 next and it would not be a problem but because i have all the time in the world (could be mistaken) i can choose to poodle but if you are tied to a timetable,,go for it.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Wish we had had a motor home when our girls were young but we travelled and camped each night.
Go for it and rest when you need .
Safe travels and as some one said make sure all the insurances etc are sorted.:)
Motor homes are for adventures after all !!

Upvote 0

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
think you sort of missed my point David, I'd happily drive that distance in a short time, I'd not be happy to be the passenger for that sort of long unbroken drive.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

You totally can do it but make sure you are well prepared. I wouldn't do it now but in the past (nearly 20 years ago) we traveled from the south of France in our old Hymer back to Durham in 36 hours if I remember correctly. We had 3 teenagers and three adults aboard the truck. All adults were drivers and the idea was the drivers would rotate between driving and resting and sleeping (not safe but using the rear lounge in bed configuration for sleeping - I wouldn't do that now as I know better!!!) with one of the teens navigating. The route was all planned out in detail :) It didn't work that way....... ended up with one driver doing the first four hour shift (with a leg stretch after a couple of hours) and I navigated. Then driver two drove and a teen navigated - then teen got bored and I became navigator. Then my turn to drive and driver 2 became navigator and I ended up doing the bit around Paris and getting to the tunnel. It was now getting dark but we did the wine run before we put the truck on the train. We'd also bought food at Cite Europe and ate that whist the train took the strain.

By the time we were in Kent only driver 2 and I were still awake. Driver 2 drove and I navigated. We swapped over every couple of hours until we got part way up the A1 (Lemming Bar) and we were too tired to drive safely, there was a tail back ahead so we stopped. Passengers were still asleep (it was 6am and we'd been on the road for about 24 hours), I was hungry and thirsty and we needed a good break. We left a note for the passengers to tell them where we were. We had a truckers fry up and found out the tail back was due to a serious accident and the A1 was closed. No time as given for reopening and there was no time limit on parking as a result. Back to the truck to find passengers just starting to wake up and ask if we were in England yet!!!!!!!!

Boulevard Peripherique isn't that bad if you know your "porte". I knew how many from my "on" to my "off", counted them and had a good navigator who ticked them off the sheet and told me when my exit was coming up. Just think, UK plates, huge truck, woman driver with a manic grin .... yep, they got out of my way!!!!!! It's no worse than the M25 would be for foreign drivers.

Make sure you have a travel DVD player (plus spare batteries or 12v lead) and loads and loads of the DVDs your daughter likes, plus some new ones. We also used to have song tapes and silly story tapes. Our Grandson (age 3) sits in his travel seat (which has a tray) next to the dinette window when he is with us and he likes to wave to other road users. He also has lots of small toys (mostly dinosaurs and Thomas The Tank Engine models) which he uses to act out the story tapes. Make sure toys can be reached - I made small bags with velcro fastenings which fix around his chair to hold toys. No long strings of course. Finger puppets are great fun as well :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Oh and for your passenger you can get a back massaging car seat cover. I have one (Lidl's best) and it is brilliant. As the driver you might want to use it when you stop as well.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
You totally can do it but make sure you are well prepared. I wouldn't do it now but in the past (nearly 20 years ago) we traveled from the south of France in our old Hymer back to Durham in 36 hours if I remember correctly. We had 3 teenagers and three adults aboard the truck. All adults were drivers and the idea was the drivers would rotate between driving and resting and sleeping (not safe but using the rear lounge in bed configuration for sleeping - I wouldn't do that now as I know better!!!) with one of the teens navigating. The route was all planned out in detail :) It didn't work that way....... ended up with one driver doing the first four hour shift (with a leg stretch after a couple of hours) and I navigated. Then driver two drove and a teen navigated - then teen got bored and I became navigator. Then my turn to drive and driver 2 became navigator and I ended up doing the bit around Paris and getting to the tunnel. It was now getting dark but we did the wine run before we put the truck on the train. We'd also bought food at Cite Europe and ate that whist the train took the strain.

By the time we were in Kent only driver 2 and I were still awake. Driver 2 drove and I navigated. We swapped over every couple of hours until we got part way up the A1 (Lemming Bar) and we were too tired to drive safely, there was a tail back ahead so we stopped. Passengers were still asleep (it was 6am and we'd been on the road for about 24 hours), I was hungry and thirsty and we needed a good break. We left a note for the passengers to tell them where we were. We had a truckers fry up and found out the tail back was due to a serious accident and the A1 was closed. No time as given for reopening and there was no time limit on parking as a result. Back to the truck to find passengers just starting to wake up and ask if we were in England yet!!!!!!!!

Boulevard Peripherique isn't that bad if you know your "porte". I knew how many from my "on" to my "off", counted them and had a good navigator who ticked them off the sheet and told me when my exit was coming up. Just think, UK plates, huge truck, woman driver with a manic grin .... yep, they got out of my way!!!!!! It's no worse than the M25 would be for foreign drivers.

Make sure you have a travel DVD player (plus spare batteries or 12v lead) and loads and loads of the DVDs your daughter likes, plus some new ones. We also used to have song tapes and silly story tapes. Our Grandson (age 3) sits in his travel seat (which has a tray) next to the dinette window when he is with us and he likes to wave to other road users. He also has lots of small toys (mostly dinosaurs and Thomas The Tank Engine models) which he uses to act out the story tapes. Make sure toys can be reached - I made small bags with velcro fastenings which fix around his chair to hold toys. No long strings of course. Finger puppets are great fun as well :)

Keep away from Paris,,there are better routes,,BUSBY.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
The plan is to go for it!

My wife is going to see if she can tag an extra day leave from work so we have 4.5 days to get there. Should be fine. then we can leave after my duty around 3pm on the last day coming back so 4.5 days to get back as well. gives us 5 nights in the Villa and 4.5 days to explore Alicante.

If her leave is ok and my work approve my self positioning ill be looking at the route. Might still do the Ferry plan from Hull to Zeebrugge on day one and let the boat do the first miles rather than the M25. Cant see it slowing us down much really and would be a more relaxed start.

fingers crossed work ok it.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

I've done Dieppe to Barcelona in January in my MH - never again, rain, snow, short days (night driving) - no thanks - no fun - Ryanair for me 'til the weather improves

Good luck if you do it..............

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I've done Dieppe to Barcelona in January in my MH - never again, rain, snow, short days (night driving) - no thanks - no fun - Ryanair for me 'til the weather improves

Good luck if you do it..............

Its all down to luck with the weather,,had a couple of sunny drives down in Dec and Jan in the past,,,BUSBY..

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

My wife is going to see if she can tag an extra day leave from work so we have 4.5 days to get there. Should be fine. then we can leave after my duty around 3pm on the last day coming back so 4.5 days to get back as well. gives us 5 nights in the Villa and 4.5 days to explore Alicante.

If her leave is ok and my work approve my self positioning ill be looking at the route. Might still do the Ferry plan from Hull to Zeebrugge on day one and let the boat do the first miles rather than the M25. Cant see it slowing us down much really and would be a more relaxed start.

Newhaven Dieppe is a good crossing,,,,,BUSBY,,

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

Can be very busy on the road from Zeebruge into France in the mornings,,BUSBY,,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Well that's one thing sorted

Dog sitter and painting & Decorating.

Got my dad to house/dog sit and do some DIY while we're away so no issues of fumes in the house for the little girl :)

Would be nice to take the pooch with us but as work are putting me up in the villa I can't really rock up with the Labradore and the Motorhome full of my family.

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I've never heard of that proverb. I like the expression.

And the next time that you are in the pub or wherever you can gently slip this little proverb into the conversation thus astounding your friends with your in-depth knowledge of little known 16th century French writers.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
And the next time that you are in the pub or wherever you can gently slip this little proverb into the conversation thus astounding your friends with your in-depth knowledge of little known 16th century French writers.
Well maybe not in the pubs I occasionally frequent

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back