Is my MPG terrible?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by streetdaddy, Mar 28, 2011.

1. streetdaddy

streetdaddy Read Only Funster

I have a 1998 Elddis Autostratus EK SK. Peugot Boxer 1998cc petrol engine. I've just taken it on a good length trip for the first time, about 600 miles, and according to the app on my phone the MPG is around 15 traveling at a steady 50 MPH.

This seems quite bad to me, and much lower than what the previous owner claimed. Its 3200 kg and reading around some posts on here it seems like I should be getting more like 25-30....

Should I be worried?

2. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Yes very.......!
    sorry......

unless, are you sure its not your iPhone....

3. streetdaddy

I did some calculations myself using litres and UK gallons:

4.1 miles per litre
    18.6 miles per gallon

What sort of mechanical problem might this point to? I had it mechanically inspected before I bought it... :cry:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  4. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Hi...Maybe because it is Petrol....Or maybe because of the engine size! under powered 1998cc petrol engine for the weight of 3200kg......BUT I would have thought you should be getting more than 15 mpg:cry:....more in the region of 20 to 25 mpg.

Mel :thumb:

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Has it been serviced recently ? If not change the air filter, a clogged filter will reduce MPG .. also change spark plugs, engine oil and filter.

Check tyre pressures , low pressures will reduce MPG

Reduce load, ie empty water and waste tanks before journey

Do you have a roof box ? If so remove it.

Driving style is more important than cruising speed.. accelerate gently, change up gears as soon as possible, anticitpate roundabouts etc .. every time you touch the brakes you are throwing money out the window.. try driving without needing to brake...
    Drive as if you had a glass of water on the dash.. and don't spill it.

6. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

That last paragraph is so true. l was told this word for word when l was 16, many years ago. And, "drive as if you had a glass of water on the dash...and don't spill it", is embedded in my brain. Also l was told, "your right foot controls your wallet".

Craig

7. tofo

tofo Funster

consider a gas conversion and if you live inside the m 25
    NO worries for the LEZ charge

my 1998 1'9turbo diesel gives about 25mpg
    thats on a swift overcab 520
    as others roof box is a drag
    could brakes be binding after a long (winter)rest
    ie pistons not returning into calipers
    hand brake not fully off
    lack of oil at gearbox
    just a bit from those above adds up

dont labor the engine drop a gear

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  8. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

We run a 1998 Autosleeper on a Peugeot Boxer 1998cc Petrol engine (see picture) and on our trip to France last year we calculated our fuel consumption to be 20 mpg on motorway and main roads with occasional speeds of 70mph.
    I am not sure if your vehicle is heavier than ours but no doubt you can judge by the pictures.
    My conclusion is if your vehicle is similar to ours then your consumption is on the high side. As others have said I think the 1998cc petrol engine is a underpowered for the job required, which will mean more 3rd and 4th gear work than would be experienced with a more powerful engine and of course this increases consumption.
    Carrying full tanks of clean and grey water will also add greatly to the weight so to improve fuel economy empty grey water as often as you can and only fill your fresh water with as much as you think you will need till you can refill again.
    A good service and tuning by a reputable service dept. might improve efficiency but I doubt it would improve it by 5 mpg.

9. buttons

buttons Funster

Some years ago I drove a new Kontiki to Spain and back, it was petrol and as I recollect I had difficulty maintaining 17-18mpg. The wind was a big factor. I think 20mpg would be as much as you could expect but I couldn't achieve that.

10. breeks

breeks Read Only Funster

fuel

:Sad::Sad:i had the same van which had been converted to lpg.the way i saw it was the 2ltr engine wouldnae pull you out of bed underpowered for the size of van i remember going as fast as i could going down hill so i could get up the hill coming up it was areal petrol and gas guzzler.so if you can manage 20mpg your doing no bad.

11. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

My van conversion Autosleeper Symphony on a petrol Boxer weighs 3200kg maximum and I get around 23mpg, hardly changes between running around or motorway runs. I haven't got the overcab drag of a coachbuilt but even so 15mpg does seem high.

12. streetdaddy

Thanks for all the tips... It's definitely a large motorhome relative to the engine size. I realised I was using US gallons. I changed the app to user Imperial Gallons and according to that I am getting 17-19 MPG depending on speed eg. 50 MPH vs 60 MPH

From reading through some of your responses, especially normanandsue, it seems that's not to far off what I should expect considering they have the same engine on a smaller/lighter coachbuilt (tho they're doing 70MPH)...

Air filter is perfectly clean, but I need to check the tyre pressure.

I may call a few motorhome workshops and ask if they can quote on checking out any potential mechanical issues that might effect the MPG. I had the cam belt changed recently but if that made it worse for any reason (incorrectly replaced?) I don't have any MPG data from before I had it changed to compare with... Will have to call the previous owner and hope for a straight answer.

13. Dave Cowell

Dave Cowell Read Only Funster

Looks a little on the high side

Hi All

new to the forum and reading with intrest all the fuel posts I have just purchased an Elddis based on 2.0L diesel engined peugeot boxer and am looking already at an ECU remap to improve the mpg may be something to look into the remap seems to be specific to make and engine type and the outcome of mapping from some other posts elsewhere and in testimonials seems to offer a 10 to 15% increase in economy lets see if this is the case :RollEyes:

Dave

14. streetdaddy

Will be interested to here the outcome of yours Dave. I'm getting a diagnostic done sometime in the next few weeks and will report back.... On some level I'm resigned to the fact that my MPG may not be great. I'm a complete motorhome newbie so I guess it's just part of the learning process :thumb:

15. Dave Cowell

Dave Cowell Read Only Funster

will advise

Hi

Will let you know as soon as i have some good info, reading other posts on the forum WOW power seem to know there onions so may be in touch with them in the next week or so

D :BigGrin:

16. wasp

wasp Funster

Do not forget, your M/H has the aerodynamics of a brick so this would also affect the mpg and performance :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

17. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

Hi. Mine is a Pug Boxer 1.9 Diesel. I thought mine bad enough at 24/25 mpg.:Rofl1:

Don

18. streetdaddy

How much does your rig weigh out of curiosity?

* Google'd yours, it looks like it's much the same layout as mine... Maybe I can get some extra MPG out of it with a tune :pray:

19. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

What tune would you like.......?

I can do Moon River..

Or how about... Over the Hills and Far Away?

No.....Jalihouse Rock then

20. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I think "streetdaddy" actually wants a "Depeche Mode" classic tune....

"I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH, I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH"....
    :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: