Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have a 1998 Elddis Autostratus EK SK. Peugot Boxer 1998cc petrol engine. I've just taken it on a good length trip for the first time, about 600 miles, and according to the app on my phone the MPG is around 15 traveling at a steady 50 MPH.

This seems quite bad to me, and much lower than what the previous owner claimed. Its 3200 kg and reading around some posts on here it seems like I should be getting more like 25-30....

Should I be worried?

OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
I did some calculations myself using litres and UK gallons:

4.1 miles per litre
18.6 miles per gallon

What sort of mechanical problem might this point to? I had it mechanically inspected before I bought it... :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

4.1 miles per litre
18.6 miles per gallon

What sort of mechanical problem might this point to? I had it mechanically inspected before I bought it... :cry:

Hi...Maybe because it is Petrol....Or maybe because of the engine size! under powered 1998cc petrol engine for the weight of 3200kg......BUT I would have thought you should be getting more than 15 mpg:cry:....more in the region of 20 to 25 mpg.

Mel :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Has it been serviced recently ? If not change the air filter, a clogged filter will reduce MPG .. also change spark plugs, engine oil and filter.

Check tyre pressures , low pressures will reduce MPG

Reduce load, ie empty water and waste tanks before journey

Do you have a roof box ? If so remove it.

Driving style is more important than cruising speed.. accelerate gently, change up gears as soon as possible, anticitpate roundabouts etc .. every time you touch the brakes you are throwing money out the window.. try driving without needing to brake...
Drive as if you had a glass of water on the dash.. and don't spill it.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Has it been serviced recently ? If not change the air filter, a clogged filter will reduce MPG .. also change spark plugs, engine oil and filter.

Check tyre pressures , low pressures will reduce MPG

Reduce load, ie empty water and waste tanks before journey

Do you have a roof box ? If so remove it.

Driving style is more important than cruising speed.. accelerate gently, change up gears as soon as possible, anticitpate roundabouts etc .. every time you touch the brakes you are throwing money out the window.. try driving without needing to brake...
Drive as if you had a glass of water on the dash.. and don't spill it.

That last paragraph is so true. l was told this word for word when l was 16, many years ago. And, "drive as if you had a glass of water on the dash...and don't spill it", is embedded in my brain. Also l was told, "your right foot controls your wallet".

Craig

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I have a 1998 Elddis Autostratus EK SK. Peugot Boxer 1998cc petrol engine. I've just taken it on a good length trip for the first time, about 600 miles, and according to the app on my phone the MPG is around 15 traveling at a steady 50 MPH.

This seems quite bad to me, and much lower than what the previous owner claimed. Its 3200 kg and reading around some posts on here it seems like I should be getting more like 25-30....

Should I be worried?

consider a gas conversion and if you live inside the m 25
NO worries for the LEZ charge

my 1998 1'9turbo diesel gives about 25mpg
thats on a swift overcab 520
as others roof box is a drag
could brakes be binding after a long (winter)rest
ie pistons not returning into calipers
hand brake not fully off
lack of oil at gearbox
just a bit from those above adds up

dont labor the engine drop a gear

Last edited:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
We run a 1998 Autosleeper on a Peugeot Boxer 1998cc Petrol engine (see picture) and on our trip to France last year we calculated our fuel consumption to be 20 mpg on motorway and main roads with occasional speeds of 70mph.
I am not sure if your vehicle is heavier than ours but no doubt you can judge by the pictures.
My conclusion is if your vehicle is similar to ours then your consumption is on the high side. As others have said I think the 1998cc petrol engine is a underpowered for the job required, which will mean more 3rd and 4th gear work than would be experienced with a more powerful engine and of course this increases consumption.
Carrying full tanks of clean and grey water will also add greatly to the weight so to improve fuel economy empty grey water as often as you can and only fill your fresh water with as much as you think you will need till you can refill again.
A good service and tuning by a reputable service dept. might improve efficiency but I doubt it would improve it by 5 mpg.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Should I be worried?
Some years ago I drove a new Kontiki to Spain and back, it was petrol and as I recollect I had difficulty maintaining 17-18mpg. The wind was a big factor. I think 20mpg would be as much as you could expect but I couldn't achieve that.

Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
fuel

:Sad::Sad:i had the same van which had been converted to lpg.the way i saw it was the 2ltr engine wouldnae pull you out of bed underpowered for the size of van i remember going as fast as i could going down hill so i could get up the hill coming up it was areal petrol and gas guzzler.so if you can manage 20mpg your doing no bad.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
My van conversion Autosleeper Symphony on a petrol Boxer weighs 3200kg maximum and I get around 23mpg, hardly changes between running around or motorway runs. I haven't got the overcab drag of a coachbuilt but even so 15mpg does seem high.

OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all the tips... It's definitely a large motorhome relative to the engine size. I realised I was using US gallons. I changed the app to user Imperial Gallons and according to that I am getting 17-19 MPG depending on speed eg. 50 MPH vs 60 MPH

From reading through some of your responses, especially normanandsue, it seems that's not to far off what I should expect considering they have the same engine on a smaller/lighter coachbuilt (tho they're doing 70MPH)...

Air filter is perfectly clean, but I need to check the tyre pressure.

I may call a few motorhome workshops and ask if they can quote on checking out any potential mechanical issues that might effect the MPG. I had the cam belt changed recently but if that made it worse for any reason (incorrectly replaced?) I don't have any MPG data from before I had it changed to compare with... Will have to call the previous owner and hope for a straight answer.

Dave Cowell

Free Member
Apr 1, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Looks a little on the high side

Hi All

new to the forum and reading with intrest all the fuel posts I have just purchased an Elddis based on 2.0L diesel engined peugeot boxer and am looking already at an ECU remap to improve the mpg may be something to look into the remap seems to be specific to make and engine type and the outcome of mapping from some other posts elsewhere and in testimonials seems to offer a 10 to 15% increase in economy lets see if this is the case :RollEyes:

Dave

OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Will be interested to here the outcome of yours Dave. I'm getting a diagnostic done sometime in the next few weeks and will report back.... On some level I'm resigned to the fact that my MPG may not be great. I'm a complete motorhome newbie so I guess it's just part of the learning process :thumb:

Dave Cowell

Free Member
Apr 1, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
will advise

Hi

Will let you know as soon as i have some good info, reading other posts on the forum WOW power seem to know there onions so may be in touch with them in the next week or so

D ::bigsmile:

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Do not forget, your M/H has the aerodynamics of a brick so this would also affect the mpg and performance :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi. Mine is a Pug Boxer 1.9 Diesel. I thought mine bad enough at 24/25 mpg.:ROFLMAO:

Don

How much does your rig weigh out of curiosity?

* Google'd yours, it looks like it's much the same layout as mine... Maybe I can get some extra MPG out of it with a tune :pray:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98

* Google'd yours, it looks like it's much the same layout as mine... Maybe I can get some extra MPG out of it with a tune :pray:

What tune would you like.......?

I can do Moon River..

Or how about... Over the Hills and Far Away?

No.....Jalihouse Rock then

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring

I can do Moon River..

I think "streetdaddy" actually wants a "Depeche Mode" classic tune....

"I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH, I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH"....
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie

I can do Moon River..

There's always one... ::bigsmile:

I think "streetdaddy" actually wants a "Depeche Mode" classic tune....

still a bit to old for my liking! how about some Bloc Party?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp

4.1 miles per litre
18.6 miles per gallon

You are a few miles down as I would estimate you should be getting around 20 -22. Diesels only do 25 for that size engine!

I would give it a good service, get the brakes cleaned and checked and if be the timing. Could easily make up the difference. Driving style will matter asd the power:weight ratio is not in your favour - so drive with a light foot, plan inclines and keep rolling where possible. Moving from a standstill takes 25% of the engines power - when in traffic or approaching junctions, do so slowly and keep the wheels rolling.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I would have thought an overall average of 20 to 24 depending on wind conditions is about right, what was said earlier re condition and driving style is spot on.

And people ask me why I drive a big RV well the truth is driven right I can get up to 16 mpg but 14-15 is more common so for the difference in MPG personally it's worth it,

All the best let us know how you get on.

Rick

Tigerbob

Free Member
Feb 22, 2011
Sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
MPG

I have a1998 Autosleeper Symphony on a Peugeot Boxer 1998cc petrol chassis.

If I drive it sensibly i.e change up and down the box to (a) stop the engine labouring and (b) stick to 60mph on the motorway, I can see 27mpg.

If however I drive like I am in a hurry, outside lane of the motorway doing 70+ mph overtake other traffic in the outside lane on long hills which may mean getting the engine to maximum revs the I will only see 20-23 mpg.

So it's horses for courses really, it depends on how you drive from my experience but even so 15 mpg sounds rather low.

Bob

OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
15 mpg sounds rather low.

Thanks for the reply Bob. Your van is a lot lighter than mine I expect. Also my original post quoted US MPG... Imperial MPG is around 18-20. Still not great! I'm going on a long-ish trip this weekend and I'm going to do some experiments with driving style and see how that affects it... If it's still not great I will consider an ECU tune.

bonneville

Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Kirkby mallory
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 years
Hi folks , I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have a 360e with the 2500 non turbo diesel and if I drive it like my granny (no offence to grannies) I can get 25 mpg, 50-55 mph max and very easy on the throttle, my engine and all relevant mech bits are in tip top condition . Sooo a petrol engine me thinks is going to consume the oh so expensive stuff even quicker.
A costly hobby but oh so enjoyable, dont give up.
:Smile:

OP
OP
streetdaddy

streetdaddy

Free Member
Mar 13, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Bit of an update on my previously terrible MPG... 1. I actually had a hole in my radiator, very slow leak, not sure if that made any difference though... 2. got the tires to the right pressure, and 3. changed my driving style ie. slowing down sooner for corners and roundabouts, sticking around 50-55 mp/h, slip-streaming trucks on the motorway, and after a cruise down to Gloucester and back this weekend I ended up with 23.5 MPG :RollEyes: a much better result!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back