Is it ilegal to park across a drive????

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by tick59, Jul 10, 2013.

1. tick59

tick59 Funster

:Angry::Angry:
    IS IT ILEGAL TO PARK ACCROSS A DRIVE???? WHEN WE BOUGHT OUR MOTORHOME WE HAD A DRIVE PUT IN AT THE FRONT WITH A DROPPED CURVE. OUR STREET IS NARROW AND PARKING IS AT A PREMIUM THE LAD OVER THE ROAD HAS HIS OWN GARDINING BUSINESS. AND WE ALLOWED HIM TO PARK IN FRONT OF THE MOTORHOME SO IT WOULD BE HARD TO STEAL AND IMPOSSIBLE TO GET OFF THE DRIVE WITH HIS VEHICLE IN FRONT.NOW A NEW NEIGHBOUR HAS MOVED IN THE STREET AND THE GUY ACCROSS THE ROAD HAS TO MOVE DOWN AND IS BLOCKING THREE QUARTERS OF OUR DRIVE. WE HAVE TO KNOCK AT HIS DOOR TO ASK HIM TO MOVE SO WE CAN GET ON AND OFF THE DRIVE.WE HAVE TOLD HIM THIS IS NOT ON AND HE WILL HAVE TO FIND SOMEWHER ELSE TO PARK BUT ALL HE SAYS IS HE HAS TOOLS IN HIS VAN SO HE HAS TO PARK THERE. WHAT TO DO !!!!!!!!!

2. Goldenoldies

Goldenoldies Funster

I have been told it is illegal to park across a drive if it has a dropped kerb.
    Something to do with paid for. How ever getting something done about it is a different matter. It is not your problem he leaves his tools in his van, you may need to get out in an emergency.
    p.s. I hope you don't.

• Like Like x 1
  3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

I may be wrong on the actual length...

But I believe you are not supposed to park within 2 mtrs either side of a dropped curb...

It`s not law just a gentleman`s sort of agreement...

The only way you can make it law up to a point is to Pay the council to put a white line down...

I may be wrong but this is what I had to do on a property that I once had..

• Like Like x 1
  4. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Hi
    Parking across a dropped kerb is a parking offence and dealt with by the local authority. It's covered in the transport act 2004 bit not many councils enforce it. (its mentioned in the highway code too)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

He is causing an obstruction plain and simple, however I fail to see the difference in allowing one person to park across your drive but not another.

• Like Like x 2
  6. wasp

wasp Funster

Get the council to put a line at the end of the drive, we got one and it does help but a couple of peeps we know do sometimes park across it. We know where they live an just give em a knock. I do know how you feel.:Angry::Angry::Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  7. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

It only becomes illegal if you can't get out - ie; obstruction. In that scenario, the Police would take action in most cases to trace the owner and if all else fails have it towed.

If you return home, and find your entrance blocked - then it is up to you to find alternative parking for that period.

If the guys wishes to park there, then it has to be on the proviso that he moves the vehicle as and when you request it without question. If that is too much of a commitment, then he will either have to look for alternative parking, or give you a spare key and permission to move as and when required.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Goldenoldies

Goldenoldies Funster

• Like Like x 2
  9. cbrookson

cbrookson Funster

If you are Newcastle upon Tyne see here

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  10. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

As I said above.. Its an offence dealt with by the council under the decriminalised traffic laws and Regs.. Police will deal as stated above and treat it as an obstruction. It will not be their priority though and the council should be the first point of contact.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 2dogs

2dogs Funster

if you have 2 of your own vehicles off the drive when he parks up just one in front and one behind, no room to get out. then go to the pub:thumb:

we had to do that about 15 years ago. only took them 2-3 late mornings before they got the hint.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I thought when a geordie to you something you remain told:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

From a lawyers point of view it is important to distinguish between unlawful and illegal.

Unlawful is conduct which offends normal morality and norms and is against the law.

Illegal is a very big, sick bird.

• Like Like x 13
  14. lorger

lorger Funster

I share my drive with a few other cottages and the entrance is tucked away at the top of a cul de sac. Quite often we get folk parking opissite our entrance its not a dropped kerb its more of a lane/driveway off the road, when they park there it makes it hard for a car to get in and out and no chance of MH or any large vehicle. So I called the police and explained to them my neighbour who is in her 90s had missed out on her day center trip due to mini bus not being able to get up drive and with it being about 100 meters she could walk down.

The police told me they couldn't do anything apart from call the owner and explain to them, they did this and the owner was a local Dr and has never parked there since, police told me if he didn't want to move there wasn't much they could do but the would try their best.

• Like Like x 1
  15. lorger

lorger Funster

I think we had some of them outside the house the other night as they where making an awful noise either that or they where mating, but I doubt that as it last a while.:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  16. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We had this problem years ago when we lived in down south. We were two doors down from a lawnmower servicing workshop and it used to drive us round the twist:Angry:
    We had two drives, one at either side of the house and customers would come and park across our drives and our neighbours from morning till the place shut at 5. Some mornings I couldn't get the car out to take the children to school.
    We had dropped kerbs at both of them, but people didn't take any heed of that. There were no yellow lines on the road, we never approached the police in all that time, but we did go to the lawnmower workshop and ask the owner to mention the problem to his customers. However, after coming home one afternoon and finding both drives blocked by inconsiderate customers, I decided to go into the lawnmower place and ask who were the proud owners of the vans/trailers that were blocking our drives:shout: The two red-faced men looked embarrassed and quickly moved the vans without any apology at all. We thought it was illegal to park across a dropped kerb, but regardless of that it is downright inconsiderate..........what happens if someone needed to get out in an emergency?

I can't agree with what rainbow chasers have said that if you return home and find your drive blocked then "you" should find alternative parking:Eek!:
    Nobody should be blocking a drive and am I sure if it was the gardener's drive that was being blocked he would be far from pleased.
    Sadly, some motorists just don't show any common sense or
    consideration for their neighbours.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

its the same where we live if you complain the council willact but dont issue tickets as a norm which is just as well as we park across our drive

• Like Like x 1
  18. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Dumfries was always bad for having a lot of seagulls.......we can remember when we would stay at the flat, they used to start at the crack of dawn and go on whole day:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Madwife

Madwife Deleted User

When I lived in Edinburgh a car parked across my drive and I could not get out (and I was on call for work). I did not recognise the car and went around all the neighbours to ask if it was one of their visitors and could they please move it as I needed to get out. No owner could be found and by chance a police car on patrol drove by. They did a vehicle check but found the owner did not live in the area. As we were standing chatting the driver appeared and the police told me to go indoors and they would deal with it. They gave her a ticket for parking in a dangerous position (driveway was on a corner of a t junction) and gave her a warning about parking across my driveway.

Kath

• Like Like x 1
  20. stevensson10

stevensson10

parking across drive

if vehicle is parked in the drive and someone parks across it blocking you in thenit is an offence. but if your vehicle is not in the drive. and parks across it then im afraid theres nothing you can do.steve

• Like Like x 1