Is it ilegal to park across a drive???? (1 Viewer)

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:Angry::Angry:
IS IT ILEGAL TO PARK ACCROSS A DRIVE???? WHEN WE BOUGHT OUR MOTORHOME WE HAD A DRIVE PUT IN AT THE FRONT WITH A DROPPED CURVE. OUR STREET IS NARROW AND PARKING IS AT A PREMIUM THE LAD OVER THE ROAD HAS HIS OWN GARDINING BUSINESS. AND WE ALLOWED HIM TO PARK IN FRONT OF THE MOTORHOME SO IT WOULD BE HARD TO STEAL AND IMPOSSIBLE TO GET OFF THE DRIVE WITH HIS VEHICLE IN FRONT.NOW A NEW NEIGHBOUR HAS MOVED IN THE STREET AND THE GUY ACCROSS THE ROAD HAS TO MOVE DOWN AND IS BLOCKING THREE QUARTERS OF OUR DRIVE. WE HAVE TO KNOCK AT HIS DOOR TO ASK HIM TO MOVE SO WE CAN GET ON AND OFF THE DRIVE.WE HAVE TOLD HIM THIS IS NOT ON AND HE WILL HAVE TO FIND SOMEWHER ELSE TO PARK BUT ALL HE SAYS IS HE HAS TOOLS IN HIS VAN SO HE HAS TO PARK THERE. WHAT TO DO !!!!!!!!!

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
I have been told it is illegal to park across a drive if it has a dropped kerb.
Something to do with paid for. How ever getting something done about it is a different matter. It is not your problem he leaves his tools in his van, you may need to get out in an emergency.
p.s. I hope you don't.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I may be wrong on the actual length...

But I believe you are not supposed to park within 2 mtrs either side of a dropped curb...

It`s not law just a gentleman`s sort of agreement...

The only way you can make it law up to a point is to Pay the council to put a white line down...

I may be wrong but this is what I had to do on a property that I once had..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Hi
Parking across a dropped kerb is a parking offence and dealt with by the local authority. It's covered in the transport act 2004 bit not many councils enforce it. (its mentioned in the highway code too)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
He is causing an obstruction plain and simple, however I fail to see the difference in allowing one person to park across your drive but not another.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Get the council to put a line at the end of the drive, we got one and it does help but a couple of peeps we know do sometimes park across it. We know where they live an just give em a knock. I do know how you feel.:Angry::Angry::Angry:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
It only becomes illegal if you can't get out - ie; obstruction. In that scenario, the Police would take action in most cases to trace the owner and if all else fails have it towed.

If you return home, and find your entrance blocked - then it is up to you to find alternative parking for that period.

If the guys wishes to park there, then it has to be on the proviso that he moves the vehicle as and when you request it without question. If that is too much of a commitment, then he will either have to look for alternative parking, or give you a spare key and permission to move as and when required.

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
It only becomes illegal if you can't get out - ie; obstruction. In that scenario, the Police would take action in most cases to trace the owner and if all else fails have it towed.

If you return home, and find your entrance blocked - then it is up to you to find alternative parking for that period.

If the guys wishes to park there, then it has to be on the proviso that he moves the vehicle as and when you request it without question. If that is too much of a commitment, then he will either have to look for alternative parking, or give you a spare key and permission to move as and when required.[/QUOTE
What give a spare key? he might go and sell it:Eeek:

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
If you are Newcastle upon Tyne see Link Removed

Cheers

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
As I said above.. Its an offence dealt with by the council under the decriminalised traffic laws and Regs.. Police will deal as stated above and treat it as an obstruction. It will not be their priority though and the council should be the first point of contact.

2dogs

Free Member
Nov 2, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Spring 2012
if you have 2 of your own vehicles off the drive when he parks up just one in front and one behind, no room to get out. then go to the pub:thumb:

we had to do that about 15 years ago. only took them 2-3 late mornings before they got the hint.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I thought when a geordie to you something you remain told:ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
From a lawyers point of view it is important to distinguish between unlawful and illegal.

Unlawful is conduct which offends normal morality and norms and is against the law.

Illegal is a very big, sick bird.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I share my drive with a few other cottages and the entrance is tucked away at the top of a cul de sac. Quite often we get folk parking opissite our entrance its not a dropped kerb its more of a lane/driveway off the road, when they park there it makes it hard for a car to get in and out and no chance of MH or any large vehicle. So I called the police and explained to them my neighbour who is in her 90s had missed out on her day center trip due to mini bus not being able to get up drive and with it being about 100 meters she could walk down.

The police told me they couldn't do anything apart from call the owner and explain to them, they did this and the owner was a local Dr and has never parked there since, police told me if he didn't want to move there wasn't much they could do but the would try their best.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
From a lawyers point of view it is important to distinguish between unlawful and illegal.

Unlawful is conduct which offends normal morality and norms and is against the law.

Illegal is a very big, sick bird.

I think we had some of them outside the house the other night as they where making an awful noise either that or they where mating, but I doubt that as it last a while.:ROFLMAO:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We had this problem years ago when we lived in down south. We were two doors down from a lawnmower servicing workshop and it used to drive us round the twist:Angry:
We had two drives, one at either side of the house and customers would come and park across our drives and our neighbours from morning till the place shut at 5. Some mornings I couldn't get the car out to take the children to school.
We had dropped kerbs at both of them, but people didn't take any heed of that. There were no yellow lines on the road, we never approached the police in all that time, but we did go to the lawnmower workshop and ask the owner to mention the problem to his customers. However, after coming home one afternoon and finding both drives blocked by inconsiderate customers, I decided to go into the lawnmower place and ask who were the proud owners of the vans/trailers that were blocking our drives:shout: The two red-faced men looked embarrassed and quickly moved the vans without any apology at all. We thought it was illegal to park across a dropped kerb, but regardless of that it is downright inconsiderate..........what happens if someone needed to get out in an emergency?

I can't agree with what rainbow chasers have said that if you return home and find your drive blocked then "you" should find alternative parking:whatthe:
Nobody should be blocking a drive and am I sure if it was the gardener's drive that was being blocked he would be far from pleased.
Sadly, some motorists just don't show any common sense or
consideration for their neighbours.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
its the same where we live if you complain the council willact but dont issue tickets as a norm which is just as well as we park across our drive

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I think we had some of them outside the house the other night as they where making an awful noise either that or they where mating, but I doubt that as it last a while.:ROFLMAO:

Dumfries was always bad for having a lot of seagulls.......we can remember when we would stay at the flat, they used to start at the crack of dawn and go on whole day:Doh:

M

Madwife

Deleted User
When I lived in Edinburgh a car parked across my drive and I could not get out (and I was on call for work). I did not recognise the car and went around all the neighbours to ask if it was one of their visitors and could they please move it as I needed to get out. No owner could be found and by chance a police car on patrol drove by. They did a vehicle check but found the owner did not live in the area. As we were standing chatting the driver appeared and the police told me to go indoors and they would deal with it. They gave her a ticket for parking in a dangerous position (driveway was on a corner of a t junction) and gave her a warning about parking across my driveway.

Kath

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
parking across drive

if vehicle is parked in the drive and someone parks across it blocking you in thenit is an offence. but if your vehicle is not in the drive. and parks across it then im afraid theres nothing you can do.steve

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
removing air from their tires sometimes helps after they can purchase some of jims trye alarms to check every morning :roflmto:

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have a similar issue with the person opposite us. He's a car mechanic and can get up to 4 cars on his property but ends up with a few in the street usually. He ends up parking opposite our drive which makes it akward to get the cars in and out but almost impossible to get the Motorhome out. Long story short. Tried asking nicely but it is at the stage now where if we can't get out we have to call the police, and we have done. They know the situation and get him to move the vehicles

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
s:
We have a similar issue with the person opposite us. He's a car mechanic and can get up to 4 cars on his property but ends up with a few in the street usually. He ends up parking opposite our drive which makes it akward to get the cars in and out but almost impossible to get the Motorhome out. Long story short. Tried asking nicely but it is at the stage now where if we can't get out we have to call the police, and we have done. They know the situation and get him to move the vehicles

It might be easier just to call the planning department. If its his house he probably hasn't got planning permission for use as a business.

Not very neighbourly I know but if he isn't making any effort then he is asking for it.

Last edited:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
:RollEyes:

It might be easier just to call the planning department. If its his house he probably hasn't got planning permission for use as a business.

Not very neighbourly I know but if he isn't making any effort then he is asking for it.

They could then charge him Business rates, insist on having the proper insurance and then speak to HMRC about his 'work' situation...:thumb:

OP
OP
tick59

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
:ROFLMAO:
He is causing an obstruction plain and simple, however I fail to see the difference in allowing one person to park across your drive but not another.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:it is not a case of allowing one and not another.it is the fact that they are covering more and more of the front of the drive and we can't get out without knocking on doors.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Personally if someone continued to park across my drive I'd just drive into their car and say sorry I didn't see it there. They'd soon stop doing it. I wouldn't worry about damaging my car, it's such an old battered one it would probably improve it ::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
:Angry::Angry:
IS IT ILEGAL TO PARK ACCROSS A DRIVE???? WHEN WE BOUGHT OUR MOTORHOME WE HAD A DRIVE PUT IN AT THE FRONT WITH A DROPPED CURVE. OUR STREET IS NARROW AND PARKING IS AT A PREMIUM THE LAD OVER THE ROAD HAS HIS OWN GARDINING BUSINESS. AND WE ALLOWED HIM TO PARK IN FRONT OF THE MOTORHOME SO IT WOULD BE HARD TO STEAL AND IMPOSSIBLE TO GET OFF THE DRIVE WITH HIS VEHICLE IN FRONT.[HI]NOW A NEW NEIGHBOUR HAS MOVED IN THE STREET AND THE GUY ACCROSS THE ROAD HAS TO MOVE DOWN AND IS BLOCKING THREE QUARTERS OF OUR DRIVE. WE HAVE TO KNOCK AT HIS DOOR TO ASK HIM TO MOVE SO WE CAN GET ON AND OFF THE DRIVE.WE HAVE TOLD HIM THIS IS NOT ON AND HE WILL HAVE TO FIND SOMEWHER ELSE TO PARK BUT ALL HE SAYS IS HE HAS TOOLS IN HIS VAN SO HE HAS TO PARK THERE. [/HI]WHAT TO DO !!!!!!!!!
So who is it that is parking across your drive and who's door did you knock on, the gardener or the new boy. Are there now two vans parked across your drive:Eeek:.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I had the same problem a couple of years ago with the tenant next door (gone now):ROFLMAO: . He kept parking his works van across the drive , sometimes only a couple of feet but he kept on. I tried the polite approach, i tried calling his work and told them if it persisted i would clamp their van so he couldnt do their work.He didnt like the fact id called them so done it the very same day.This really got my back up so i knocked on his door and told him to move it and because id always been polite he thought he would take the chance and try to be aggressive with me :Doh: . I told him i would give him the chance to put his shoes on before i drag him into his garden and kick the shit out of him ( sick of being Mr nice guy ) . He moved the van,he nevr done it again and i found it very hard to get eye contact with him ever again.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: He was a talker.

Just to add to this, Ive probably knocked on all the doors and told them "Dont park across my drive". If it means they dont talk to me then so be it.Fortunately most do.I have a MH ,a van and 2 cars im quite entitled to park in the layby if i want to.I think that may p ss them off if i did.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you have a car and a MH, why not park your own car right across the opening .. at least for a while until chummy finds an alternate place to park

Orrrr.. ( the mean devil side creeps out of me here ) get a scrote to break in and nick his bloody tools.. thereby removing the excuse he uses !!! :winky:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Someone in a cul de sac nearby us parked his van all day ,in a turning area we use regularly.

It was parked under a BT pole, so I made up on the PC a laminated note with a proper copied heading ,and placed it under his wiper.

"This BT property was due to be serviced and updated three days ago.

Please remove this vehicle as BT wish to gain access to the network pole for important work.

Unauthorized vehicles will be towed away."

Never came back :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back