is driving your RV /large motorhome illegal

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Wildman, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Is this a new threat?
    I have just read a disturbing article in the British Horse Society magazine regarding the implementation of regulation EC 561/2006
    The regulations restrict driving hours for drivers of larger vehicles including horse boxes (are motorhomes included?)
    The strict implementation of the rules by VOSA means that no one who works 45 hours per week can use a horse box recreational at the weekend. Does it affect us??:Eeek::Eeek:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2006:102:0001:0013:EN:PDF

It would appear from first glance not however those of us who move animals, tow horse trailers etc had better take notice.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  2. olley

olley Funster

Hi Roger not at the moment, but according to Dick southern Ireland have just introduced tacko's on RV's over 12tonnes. So it could be coming.

Olley

3. Wildman

I see all sorts of problems arising as this act covers carriage of goods, or people, so what about traders who transport the stock in the RV or separate trailer, then I think they may fall foul of the new law. It is a minefield and to tell the truth new laws, regulations, etc make life almost unbearable for those of us who lead different lives.

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

the ec.561/2006does cover rv of over 7.5ton. if you get chance to see a vosa ,,rules on drivers hours and tachographs booklet(revised 2007),,page 10. discusses excemptions it quite plainly says vehicles or combinations with a maximum permissable mass not exceeding 7.5tonnes used for the non commercial carriage of goods..
    i had a discusion with a vosa traffic examiner and he agreed that if you drive a vehicle over 7.5 tonnes it should becontroled by drivers hours. any way even before this if you used a vehicle or combination over 3.5tonnes for carriage of goods for commercial use (hire or reward)you should have had tacho n operaters licence. weekend traders have been braking rules for ages . it also states it maybe necessary to refer to case law for definative interpretations .
    the above booklet can be obtained free from vosa.
    the rules came into effect on 11 april 2007.

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

as i see it there is no excemption for those that live a different life.
    there is no mine field just plain simple rules laid out ever so easy to understand. . if everybody tel.. there local vosa office and got the booklet you would soon see how clear the rules are.

6. Wildman

I was actually talking generally not just motorhomes, plan to instigate a levy on horses of £10.50, also on livestock, too much to find all these little extras, too many rules and regs for us smallholders etc to keep up with. I will be glad to step into my box with two fingers held high.
    Life in general is becoming too regulated and the nanny state is a frightening place to live.

7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

there is excemption for vehicles used private in domestic rules .but they are for not in connection with a job or in any wayto earn a living. you can get the vosa revised 2009 on google free. the rules apply even if you are one man band or a big organization. thats the trouble, glad i pulled out of it myself.being in an alternative life style doesnt give an alternative rule structure. we cant drop out of the norm . cheers alan.

8. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

Work :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

I haven't worked since June 2008 hahahahahahahaha.
    Get a job I hear you say, you're 'aving a larf, chance 'd be a fine thing.... have you seen the latest unemployment figures? I'll be ok then with my 4.6 tonne Hymer if it's big enough that is :Rofl1:

I'm the only animal in my motorhome anyway LOL

9. Terry

Terry Funster

No problem Roger,We will all be OK if we adapt the French version of this rule :thumb: IGNORE it :Rofl1:
    terry

10. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Spot on Terry totally agree:thumb: that's what rules are for.
    These rules are made up by a bunch of idiots anyway so why would you take any notice.:BigGrin:

11. olley

olley Funster

Hi even if they brought in Tacho's it wouldn't be to much of a hardship, 9 hours a day driving, is enough for me. :BigGrin:

Olley

12. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

exactly and then a nice bit of wildcamping, bliss!!:BigGrin::thumb:

13. Wildman

now theres a thought legalised wildcamping, stamped and approved, bring it on, hee hee

14. Losos

Losos Read Only Funster

Terry has a good point, Brussels has brought in loads of legislation but in the (Now how shall I phrase this?) let's say less than 'honourable' parts of Europe it's no worries.

Here in Eastern Europe people just ignore it, the local environment agencies are staffed by a few dedicated people but they don't have a clue as to how many illegal septic tanks there are in the country and they will never know. Likewise they wouldn't know how to implement some EU law on driving RV's since even the commercial lorries seem to get around the tachograph laws with ease.

15. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

I suppose that being the law of the land has no significance whatsoever.

it seems that they are made by a bunch of idiots and ignore by a bunch of even bigger idiots.

Why are there so many people who believe that they are immune from the law - speeding, parking, drinking, texting while driving, littering, road rage - you name it.

It's a sad state of affairs when most of the population see to be so anti anything that anyone does to curb their antisocial way of life. Why do people believe they and only they have any say in what goes on?

16. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Oh Dear :Eeek: shame you failed to notice the smilies I attached, it was a light hearted reply to Terry's post.

To keep the record straight I am a law abiding citizen and couldn't care less whether motorhomes have tachos or not and do not consider myself immune from the law.

However I am sick to death of having one new regulation after another heaped on to me by a bunch of know nothing bureaucrats all in the name of health & safety when in fact it's just another scam to get my hard earned cash. Maybe we should be a bit more like the French and set fire to a few tractors in Downing St. instead of just sitting back and taking the crap that bunch of crooks called our government keep dishing out too us. As for regulations curbing anti social behavior I for one don't believe it works, it makes life difficult for law abiding citizens like us but has no effect on criminals.
    All the best:thumb:

17. Wildman

like I said on some other thread time for a revolution, before our engines can no longer do so due to exorbitant taxation.

18. mikamada

mikamada Read Only Funster

Sometimes it is valuable to read legislation before making assumptions

If you look at Article 2(1) of the Regulation you will see that the law relates only to:

(a) vehicles for the carriage of goods or
    (b) vehicles constructed or permanently adapted for the carriage of more than 9 passengers (including driver) and intended for that purpose

Article 13(i) provides additional exclusion for those vehicles "with between 10 and 17 seats used exclusively for the non-commercial carriage of passengers".

so it is unlikely to affect 99.9% of motorhome owners.....

even with a 39ft RV it would be difficult to find a place for 18 passengers .... just how many can you fit in a bed or in the underfloor lockers? and if so you could always claim it was for transporting circus or fun fair equipment (13(j)) :Rofl1:

Oh, and it became law on the 11th April 2007...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  19. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Mornin, They can change the rools,bring out new laws,move the goalposts as much as they like,but whats the option?????.Sell your now "illegal" camper,RV and buy a "legal" one,just becouse some idiot is trying to prove his her jobsworth.Somehow I dont think so.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

20. Wildman

what really gets me is moving the goalposts, the one that annoys me the most at the moment is the LEZ and how it affects residents (not me) they have to sell vehicles they have had for years because of a change in the law can't be right. Now I hear mutterings of ESC Electronic stability control must be fitted on all new vehicles from 2011 onwards, but OBLIGITORY from 2014, does that mean all now non electronically controlled vehicles will have to come off the road, where is it all leading.