is driving your RV /large motorhome illegal (1 Viewer)

mikamada

Free Member
Apr 12, 2009
Funster No
hi .if 7.5 tonne vehicles used for non commercial use are excempt eu rules then they must become controlled by domestic rules. it would be even better if vosa/dvla information could be classed as definative, but they always say they are for guidance and not to be used as a complete or authoritive statement of law. wouldnt it be nice if they could actually tell us the law that they enforce then we would have something to aim for.
glad i drive what i do .try to keep well in the best side of the rules. have fun .
best is always verify all questions yourselves with vosa/dvla and only drive what you are happy with regards the rules. its your licence. have enough trouble looking after my own. ha ha.
Hi
It may be a peversity of the intent of the Regulation but unfortunately you are right. The Regulation was drafted to avoid local laws distorting the rules on driver/operative time control. For the vehicles covered they seem to have done quite a good job. But the vehicles excluded from the Regulation are subject to local laws or other EU legislation.:Doh:

There is nothing in the Regulation that states that other vehicles should not be subject to driver/operative time control as those seem to be considered outside the EU's competency (the principle of subsidiarity) and thus left to the vagaries of local laws.:cry:

The only "definitive" documentation is the legislation (EU & Local) and to have the VOSA/DVLA statements being definitive would make them the creators of the legislation. Not sure that would be a good idea:winky: as well there would be a conflict as the creators of the law would be those who enforce the law (again not a good idea::bigsmile:).

Not sure I would trust VOSA/DVLA in such a way!!!:RollEyes:

You final comment is very valid, my own take:
The responsibility for compliance with these laws resides with the vehicle driver/operator and with no one else.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
hi landy , bet we speak to the same chaps are the ones you speak to based in exeter . i sent the one i speak to photo,s etc of my truck . there as been a few changes in recent years . there was a pat ,john and now charly. al;l very helpfull . if your heading into cornwall give a shout be nice to chew the fat. cheers alan.

Thanks Alan - plan to be Cornwall mid late October - heading north for a few weeks now - will pm when I have dates .

Not sure I would trust VOSA/DVLA in such a way!!!:RollEyes:

You final comment is very valid, my own take:
The responsibility for compliance with these laws resides with the vehicle driver/operator and with no one else.

That really is the crux of the matter - when we first had an O license there was a couple of local Vosa chaps - one on Tacho's the other on service etc - they both new their Jobs well and were after one thing safety and compliance - once they new you were straight and trying to comply they left their cards and said any problems on the road then call they would back you all the way - try and work a flanker and they would make sure you were well and truly done - if you had a query or a question they would research it and give you in writing the answer and quote the passages where it was shown in the rules. Guess what every one respected them - no one took the mick - sadly they have both retired now and we have a very different breed of person in the job who appears at all cost to want issue fines or prohibitions for the slightest thing.

It is very difficult to ensure you are complying with the law when no one will give a definitive answer that you can rely on - and never give it in writing or qualify their verbal advise with chapter and verse from the regulations and if you notice they always qualify what they say as 'in my opinion'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back