Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
I have just received a 3 PAYG 4G Trio Data SIM Pack Preloaded with 12GB of Data for Mobile Broadband from MyMemory and would like to know if it's okay to put it in our Ipad 3 and use it as a hotspot in France?

Has anyone done that?

I have a TP-LINK M5350 to use as a Mifi if it would be a better option.

The standard size SIM card we've received will pop out to give the correct size card for the Ipad but if it doesn't work okay in France I can't use it in the Mifi because it will be too small and the 12GB of data will be unusable abroad.

Any help appreciated.

:france: :france: :france: :france:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Using it in an iPad like that would be tethering which I believe is expressly not permitted in the 3 T&Cs. You may get away with it, you may not. It doesn't gain you anything anyway. If you've got a MiFi you might as well use it.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I think you will find hotspot or tethered will not work out of uk
Mifi does work and can link all your gadgets no problem
Don't forget the limit on time spent away we take 2 sims with us both activated in U.K. Before setting with the second one not in use until needed so if we do run out or get locked out I just swap the extra sim in to mifi

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I have always found that having "popped" a SIM, when use a smaller size, that if you lay it back into the larger holder you can fit it into a device that then uses the larger SIM

The larger holder keeps it in place

Greenacres

Free Member
Jan 10, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van t620
Exp
13 years since retirement and many younger years as a Hippy in a VW conversion, roaming the Greek Is
Peter who do you get your sims from. 3 activate theirs as soon as you pay. Please can you advise. I use a Huawei mifi and it's been great especially in Morocco where for £20 you can get unlimited for a month. Thanks.

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
I dont think 3 activate them ,i think it sterts from when you put it in and start using??? I hope so because i bought 2 and have been using one for a few months and assumed that the other one we will be able to activate when this one runs out

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I think they activate when you put them in. We've been in Europe for 6 months and have used 2 x 12g with no problems in a mifi. You don't get 4g though - they downgrade to 3g when in Europe. Mags

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
Thats good and you didnt have to activate it before you left uk ? Ta

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Peter who do you get your sims from. 3 activate theirs as soon as you pay. Please can you advise. I use a Huawei mifi and it's been great especially in Morocco where for £20 you can get unlimited for a month. Thanks.
Here you go
Strange how you get good internet in middle of desert but not at home

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141987252736

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Wheres @Minxy Girl when you need her, the font of all knowledge regarding sims (y)

Use a mini and you can link all your other stuff to it, I'm sure you can't tether abroad.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wheres @Minxy Girl when you need her, the font of all knowledge regarding sims (y)
You called?????!?!?!!?!? :D2

Quick answers:

Tethering - allowed in the UK but you need to use a MIFI if you want to connect more than one piece of kit abroad as tethering is NOT allowed there.

Sim card size - you can sometimes push it back into the original larger sim parts that came with it if it will stay in however you can buy cheap holders for them but if you've got a MIFI just use that as it's much easier and you are less likely to damage the sim.

Activating - the pre-loaded ones (ie 1gb, 3gb, 12gb and 24gb) are ONLY activated when you first start using them, you do NOT have to use them in the UK first. The one which gives 200gb of free data each month is different and you have to register it with 3 before you can use it but this can be done abroad I believe (but you've nothing to lose by doing it in the UK first).

We have had 4G abroad but can't remember where! :D

Info about the sims etc here:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/three-mobile-broadband-info-preloaded-data-sims.220/

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just updated the info sheet ref tethering etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back