Internal electrical shutdown

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jaspwieser, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Jaspwieser

Jaspwieser Read Only Funster

I would like to know if there is any law saying that when the motorhome is being driven the rear passengers cant use any 12v power or any spot lights
    As both these are avalable in both my cars i cant see why they cant be used in the motorhome
    a friend tells me this is just for uk built as his is french and does not have this issue

if its not a law can it be changed

Richard

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

it is a ridiculous regulation drawn up by the uk's National Caravan Council and is not law.
    which is why european models (and some uk) dont have the cutout relay.

the law does state though, no white light to be shown at the rear of a vehicle (excluding reversing lights) so you may need any rear window blinds drawn.

if you could locate the relay it can be deleted or bypassed to allow the hab to become active...where it is located I know not..

on my old Kontiki it was under the settee next to the wardrobe

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

it was thought-out in a bar when they were pissed up :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 4
  4. Phill D

Phill D

in our Adria we can use all `12v and gas heating while driving. when we had the first habitation service this was marked up as non compliant by the inspector and put down for rectification.

I "politely" told him to leave it alone as it was a Caravan council recommendation and not a legal requirement.

its still active.

as papajohn states, no white light out of the rear of the vehicle. but you will need to locate the relay

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

in common sense land, nobody would have bright lights on inside whilst driving. however coaches and limousines have been driving round with lights on in the passenger compartment for years

many owners have bypassed the relay or fitted a switch so they can keep the testers happy. as mentioned, its not a law, just a recommendation from the NCC

6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

agreed, but many modern tour coaches have no rear window.

if a following driver cant differentiate between road lighting and interior lighting they shouldnt be night driving. :Doh:

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Not the foreign made van owners, coz foreigners have more sense than to do something as daft as fit one of these relays.

• Like Like x 2
  8. gypsylady

gypsylady Read Only Funster

We often allow the rear passenger to use the habitation side light when driving. Small light over the table area.

Didn't realise there was a relay (2006 Van)

We don't have a rear window and, if the driver needs it, we can draw the curtain behind his seat.

Didn't realise this was in place as we thought we could just run like a coach....... with interior lights, as long as they did not cause a problem.

9. stevensson10

stevensson10

its very handy when you have plenty of electrical knowledge especially in the motorhome but to a layman like me there is always some one at motorhomefun who will help you out as they have done for me on many occasions regards steve:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. buyer

buyer Funster - Life Member Life Member

I have found these posts very interesting,having had rv's for 20 years prior to having my current fiat (07) 3.0 litre. I thought there was something wrong with it ,as if the rear lights are on inside the van and I start the engine everything inside the van goes off which I find very annoying .in the rv I could run my engine whilst having a shower,which I found very usefull in cold weather if the blown air heating had been on as well as the batteries would take a pounding .i found over many years experience that a 30 mins run on tick over would charge both battery banks quite well,and the 5.9 ltr cummins was quieter on tickover than the LPG fuelled generator.i really mis the ability to do this,so I may try and find this relay on the fiat ( unless this would be dangerous) .i would like some comments on the latter point please.:thumb:

11. stevensson10

stevensson10

my switch is at the side of the fridge in a small cupboard but very awkward to work on my m/h is a fiat ducato 2.8 if that's any use regards steve

12. Jaspwieser

Jaspwieser Read Only Funster

I would like to thank everyone for the replys, now all i have to do is find the dammed relay.
    can hear it ticking when it changes over but just cant locate it :Angry:

I will not let this beat me i will find it...possibly

Richard

13. buyer

buyer Funster - Life Member Life Member

Thanks stEvensson 10 I will have to investigate my fiat ,or perhaps have a word with my brother ( ratvan) who is a quallified auto electrician and van dealer/ breaker,I'm sure if the answer is out there he will find it.:thumb:

14. froghopper

froghopper Read Only Funster

to buyer

HI FRIEND, YB this is froghopper being very cheeky, you say your brother breaks vans, I would like to buy a pair of captains seats with arms ?? Used of course, like my old mom said. If you don'task you will never know. Cheers

15. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

I have a Hobby and everything works while travelling and we do travel with the rear lights on while the wife & sis in law are on their ipads and we have the gas heating on sometimes as well, we have no rear window

Happy new year everyone perhaps sometime we will make it to one of the events

Dave

16. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

I ran coaches for many years and it was a legal requirement to have the saloon lights on while carrying passengers. The driver had a roller blind behind his seat to prevent reflection on the windows from inside. All buses then had rear windows and through vision

As long as ant while light is not directly showing to the back then that should be OK.

My Hymer lights operate all of the time.