Jaspwieser

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I would like to know if there is any law saying that when the motorhome is being driven the rear passengers cant use any 12v power or any spot lights
As both these are avalable in both my cars i cant see why they cant be used in the motorhome
a friend tells me this is just for uk built as his is french and does not have this issue

if its not a law can it be changed

Richard

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it is a ridiculous regulation drawn up by the uk's National Caravan Council and is not law.
which is why european models (and some uk) dont have the cutout relay.

the law does state though, no white light to be shown at the rear of a vehicle (excluding reversing lights) so you may need any rear window blinds drawn.

if you could locate the relay it can be deleted or bypassed to allow the hab to become active...where it is located I know not..

on my old Kontiki it was under the settee next to the wardrobe

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
it is a ridiculous regulation drawn up by the uk's National Caravan Council and is not law.
which is why european models (and some uk) dont have the cutout relay.

the law does state though, no white light to be shown at the rear of a vehicle (excluding reversing lights) so you may need any rear window blinds drawn.

if you could locate the relay it can be deleted or bypassed to allow the hab to become active...where it is located I know not..

on my old Kontiki it was under the settee next to the wardrobe
it was thought-out in a bar when they were pissed up :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
in our Adria we can use all `12v and gas heating while driving. when we had the first habitation service this was marked up as non compliant by the inspector and put down for rectification.

I "politely" told him to leave it alone as it was a Caravan council recommendation and not a legal requirement.

its still active.

as papajohn states, no white light out of the rear of the vehicle. but you will need to locate the relay

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
in common sense land, nobody would have bright lights on inside whilst driving. however coaches and limousines have been driving round with lights on in the passenger compartment for years

many owners have bypassed the relay or fitted a switch so they can keep the testers happy. as mentioned, its not a law, just a recommendation from the NCC

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
in common sense land, nobody would have bright lights on inside whilst driving. however coaches and limousines have been driving round with lights on in the passenger compartment for years

many owners have bypassed the relay or fitted a switch so they can keep the testers happy. as mentioned, its not a law, just a recommendation from the NCC

agreed, but many modern tour coaches have no rear window.

if a following driver cant differentiate between road lighting and interior lighting they shouldnt be night driving. :Doh:

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
We often allow the rear passenger to use the habitation side light when driving. Small light over the table area.

Didn't realise there was a relay (2006 Van)

We don't have a rear window and, if the driver needs it, we can draw the curtain behind his seat.

Didn't realise this was in place as we thought we could just run like a coach....... with interior lights, as long as they did not cause a problem.

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie

its very handy when you have plenty of electrical knowledge especially in the motorhome but to a layman like me there is always some one at motorhomefun who will help you out as they have done for me on many occasions regards steve:thumb:

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
I have found these posts very interesting,having had rv's for 20 years prior to having my current fiat (07) 3.0 litre. I thought there was something wrong with it ,as if the rear lights are on inside the van and I start the engine everything inside the van goes off which I find very annoying .in the rv I could run my engine whilst having a shower,which I found very usefull in cold weather if the blown air heating had been on as well as the batteries would take a pounding .i found over many years experience that a 30 mins run on tick over would charge both battery banks quite well,and the 5.9 ltr cummins was quieter on tickover than the LPG fuelled generator.i really mis the ability to do this,so I may try and find this relay on the fiat ( unless this would be dangerous) .i would like some comments on the latter point please.:thumb:

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
I have found these posts very interesting,having had rv's for 20 years prior to having my current fiat (07) 3.0 litre. I thought there was something wrong with it ,as if the rear lights are on inside the van and I start the engine everything inside the van goes off which I find very annoying .in the rv I could run my engine whilst having a shower,which I found very usefull in cold weather if the blown air heating had been on as well as the batteries would take a pounding .i found over many years experience that a 30 mins run on tick over would charge both battery banks quite well,and the 5.9 ltr cummins was quieter on tickover than the LPG fuelled generator.i really mis the ability to do this,so I may try and find this relay on the fiat ( unless this would be dangerous) .i would like some comments on the latter point please.:thumb:
my switch is at the side of the fridge in a small cupboard but very awkward to work on my m/h is a fiat ducato 2.8 if that's any use regards steve

OP
OP
J

Jaspwieser

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
I would like to thank everyone for the replys, now all i have to do is find the dammed relay.
can hear it ticking when it changes over but just cant locate it :Angry:

I will not let this beat me i will find it...possibly

Richard

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
Thanks stEvensson 10 I will have to investigate my fiat ,or perhaps have a word with my brother ( ratvan) who is a quallified auto electrician and van dealer/ breaker,I'm sure if the answer is out there he will find it.:thumb:

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
to buyer

HI FRIEND, YB this is froghopper being very cheeky, you say your brother breaks vans, I would like to buy a pair of captains seats with arms ?? Used of course, like my old mom said. If you don'task you will never know. Cheers

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I have a Hobby and everything works while travelling and we do travel with the rear lights on while the wife & sis in law are on their ipads and we have the gas heating on sometimes as well, we have no rear window

Happy new year everyone perhaps sometime we will make it to one of the events

Dave

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I ran coaches for many years and it was a legal requirement to have the saloon lights on while carrying passengers. The driver had a roller blind behind his seat to prevent reflection on the windows from inside. All buses then had rear windows and through vision

As long as ant while light is not directly showing to the back then that should be OK.

My Hymer lights operate all of the time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back