Interesting Tyre Report

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Geo, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I have posted this report on our Sister site RVOC as the tyres in question are more akin to RV tyres than those used by Euro Motor Homes.
    BUT,
    The maximum age recommendations for both Euro and RV tyres are about the same, 6-7 years
    I find the report interesting because the Dept for Transport Safety Section appear to be saying our tyres are Good for a much longer period than that given out by the tyre Manf almost 50% longer and even longer when used on the rear axle as one of a pair
    Whats your view having read the report

The report can be read
    HERE

• Like Like x 1
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

What would you expect them to say ?

Next they'll be saying 2 years.

3. bungy

bungy Funster

in no way at all am i an expert so this is a question more than a statement...

are the variances due to the use? as in MH/RV tend to stand for longer and buses etc dont, although id have though that lots of use (going round and round use) would be more likely to reduce the life due to wear and tear than just stood standing use

is it just because manufacturers are:
    1) playing very safe
    2) spouting crap to get more sales?
    3) right - and the coroners report is wrong?

• Like Like x 1
  4. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

How old is dangerous?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23320526

The last I heard was the families campaigning for a change in law to make old tyres illegal were told by ministers that there would need evidence that old tyres were dangerous before they would consider changing the law.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Maybe manufacturers are using a worst case use scenario then adding a safety buffer.

6. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Interesting findings. How old is the report ! Is it possible to provide a link to the complete report, I've done a quick search myself but I'm unable to find it.

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

It is old ---------------------- almost 6 hrs now Brian:Wink:
    I have to be on the ball after a certain member pointed out one of my reports had been seen before:BigGrin:

Issued to day by the new DVSA the link I posted was taken from a Vosa e -mail to a >Gov public service page HERE
    PS that is the full report

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  8. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

I had a tyre go on my VW T5 at 78mph on the M5 5 4 weeks ago, managed to pull in quick before it shreded so could inspect it afterwards, the tyre depot concluded it was breaking down with age and the crazing was obvious when looked at closely, it was dated 2007, It was one of the pair of original Michelins and the other one shows no age problems at all allthough I will change that shortly

Dave

The tyre depot told me michelins and continentals were the worst for this

• Like Like x 1
  9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I wonder how many commercial coaches and buses manage to get 10 years out of a tyre with the mileages they do each year ?

i would think 10 years was the rare exception.

10. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

George

Geo, have you had the VOSA news sheet regarding diesel particulate trap test on MOT, or the info on bus and truck tyres?
    The tyres issue may be of interest to RV owners?

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I thought that was the context of this thread John. :Doh:

12. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Yes, the only tyres I have ever seen that are perished before they are 10 years old are Michelins, in fact I had a pair on my car which are 4 years old & are perished as I discovered when I started to get a low speed wobble the other day.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Yes John, posted both on here and RVOC:thumb::thumb:

14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I am not sure the report can be interpreted as saying tyres under 10 years old can be classed as "good". I suspect they simply didn't have the evidence to support a lower figure, which is not quite the same thing.

The situation now is if there is another similar accident to the one mentioned in the report the vehicle operator will have to explain why they ignored official advice and this might be used to assess culpability and the severity of any charges brought. It may not be law yet but it is a start and as any further evidence comes to light the guidance may change and may yet become law.

Good practice may be to change tyres earlier but the Department seems to have decided not to go that far.

15. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

we check the walls on our tyres on all our vehicles at least every 2 months and they are checked when the vehicles go in for service and for MOT

• Like Like x 1
  16. Peter_n_Margaret

Peter_n_Margaret Read Only Funster

I agree with a maximum safe age for tyres being 10 years.

An inspection is useful for finding physical damage, but it will not indicate age related deterioration which includes reduced flexibility leading to higher heat build up which leads to catastrophic failure.

All tyre problems are further exacerbated by overloading, a common feature of RVs.

I advise caravanners to fit wheels and tyres to their caravan which can be exchanged with those on their tug. That way there is a much better chance of wearing them all out before their expiry date comes up and they become dangerous.

Cheers,
    Peter

17. Brian and Jo

Brian and Jo Funster Life Member

Tyres

As i have said on the RV Owners Club forum,i am reluctant to comment on this subject because i get accused of trying to sell tyres whereas in fact i am just trying to give people advice.knowing what i know and seeing some of the tyres that we have changed over the years with age related failure i stick by my beliefs that tyres should be changed at 7yrs max.the damage that can be caused by tyre failure could be massive not to mention the safety issues.tyres can look in mint condition on the outside but its the internal degradation that cannot be seen that is the danger.
    brian

• Like Like x 1
  18. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I wish I could get 6 or 7 years out of my tyres :Sad:

19. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

In support of tyre manufacturers, when I spoke to a technical support lady at Continental a few months ago, she said that they would expect a properly cared-for tyre to last at least 5 years - wear and tear allowing. She said that at 10 years old, they would be more concerned and that there was a greater chance of sidewall deterioration.

Obviously, it all depends on how tyres are treated, and I'm sure some need changing far sooner. The reason for my call to Continental was to check what would be a good all-weather / snow & ice replacement for the present Vanco tyres that I've had on for 5 years. The advice was that if the tyres are in good condition, they don't need changing yet.

20. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

I agree Brian, I have upset Bill a few times by insisting the tyres that look good are changed due to age, tread is still great no obvious signs of cracks externally but when taken off you can see where they are starting to powder on the inside, Im no expert but reckon thats cos our leisure vehicles spend more time standing than rolling so get tiny 'flat spots' - i look at them as you would a piece of elastic stretch in in one spot all the while and that area looses its ability to stretch and return to normal even though the rest of the elastic is good

• Like Like x 1